2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adjusting Resolution

I run a CAD program in WinXP. I also use a monitor with extra width. I would like to adjust only the vertical or horizontal resolution to create a ratio that will take advantage of the extra monitor width without distorting shapes like circles and squares. There are a lot of ratios available in screen settings but all are about the same ratio of vert to horiz. I found some command line syntax on-line that appears to do what I want. Before I spend a lot of time figuring it out, can you tell me if changing resolution for just one axis is possible?

Thanks
    Look up the monitor's model number on the manufacturer's support website. There are usually driver/software downloads available, especially for monitors with an unusual aspect ratio.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I assume that your monitor is a TFT and not a CRT. All TFT’s have a certain number of pixels making up their matrix, therefore each TFT has a “native resolution” which matches this number. It is always advisable to run the TFT at its native resolution as this is what it is designed to be run at and the image does not, therefore, need to be stretched across the pixels. This keeps the image clear and at optimum sharpness. Note also that you cannot run a TFT at a resolution above its native resolution. If you try, the monitor may fail to display anything at all.
    The image displayed on the monitor is generated by your graphics card and its drivers. Therefore, to be able to utilise the full potential of your monitor, you need to have a graphics card which will generate an image with the resolution required by the monitor to display the image properly. If you have a modern TFT monitor and an XP vintage graphics card/chip, your solution is a new graphics card.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobil View Post
    ...Before I spend a lot of time figuring it out, can you tell me if changing resolution for just one axis is possible?
    Simple answer is no.

However, as Calimanco suggests in his #3 post "...If you have a modern TFT monitor and an XP vintage graphics card/chip, your solution is a new graphics card...".

A further "however" is that if you are running XP in a virtualbox then the appropriate monitor resolution setting should be made available by the VGA driver installed in the host OS. Check that you have the latest VGA driver for your system.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The monitor I'm using is an LG Flatron E2350V-SN. It's specs say that resolution is 1920x1080 with an aspect ratio of 16:9. The screen is 23" diagonal and is 11 1/2" high by 20" wide.
    I am running WinXP in Virtualbox on a Linux system. WinXP's screen settings has a dozen or more resolution settings most of which are a ratio of 11.7:9 (3.1:1). The closest one to 16:9 is either 1400x1050 or 1920x1440. Both of these are a ratio of 11.7:9. When using either of those, I need to drag the window to about 2/3 screen width in order to make CAD shapes correct. I would very much like to use the other 1/3 screen real estate but I think you are telling me it is not possible. I haven't checked yet to see if additional drivers are available for Virtualbox.

Thanks
    I don't use VirtualBox or any other VM, but I have two Acer 23.6inch screens (G235h & V243HQ). Both run 1920x1080 happily with XP, Vista, and Win7. The G235h is used when working on customers' computers and it also runs 1920x1080 happily with Win8/8.1.

The problem you are having is probably something to do with the VirtualBox drivers.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree. Virtualbox does not offer me a 1920 x 1080 res to select; only something close. This is only a problem because I want to eliminate distortion in the CAD shapes while using the entire screen area. For general applications, a little distortion is not noticeable or can be ignored. I've downloaded this:
    http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdow...bdded9/26a/3/1
    I'll give it a try. Maybe it will solve the problem.
    Thanks