Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Microsoft Security Essentials and third-party AV at same time?

I have been trouble shooting my new box (yeah not even setrup yet). Am I right in thinking microsoft security essentials should not be running with another Real Time AV running ??
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    David,

Most AV programs don't like having a competitor, causes conflicts. However, I've been running MSE and/or Windows Defender in parallel with MalwareBytes Premium for a couple of years now w/o a problem. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Most AV programs don't like having a competitor, causes conflicts. However, I've been running MSE and/or Windows Defender in parallel with MalwareBytes Premium for a couple of years now w/o a problem. HTH
    Well not a clear cut answer for me as I am running a paid AVG on W7 HP
    I had a crash looking to change an option in FF and discovered MSE was running. The driver that last had contact with the OS was a 'file filter' driver that had problems with W XP and MSE, I was just hunting for a real cause.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    If you're running AVG, the MS AV program should have been turned off automatically when you installed AVG.

Thanks

If you're running AVG, the MS AV program should have been turned off automatically when you installed AVG.
    That is what I was thinking, however it was on! Turned off, msseces.exe which seems to be the GUI front end for it still runs. The situation is under investigation..

Enough investigation I just uninstalled it!
    As Iris DeMent song goes: I'll just let the mystery remain.

Last edited by wavy; 2015-01-19 at 12:44.
    David

Thanks
    AVG will turn off Defender in Windows 8 but I don't believe it will do anything with Security Essentials in the other OSes.

Jerry

Thanks

Well its wait and see now. My plans for the day have changed my wonderful Anker external drive dock has met its maker. Well its getting shipped back to it anyway. Once again I just love good customer service.

David

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's the Firewall aspect of an AV program that causes the conflict which is why you can run AVAST Free alongside any other active AV program, Pro or otherwise that I know of.

While I don't know if MSE uses Windows Firewall, a Pro AV program would turn that off so MSE could still be running without conflict in its AV mode.

I use Norton 360 and in Task Manager/Processes/Show processes from all users - there are two entries for Norton 360 - one for the AV and the other is its Firewall.

Yours could be showing similar for AVG Pro and MSE.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It's the Firewall aspect of an AV program that causes the conflict which is why you can run AVAST Free alongside any other active AV program, Pro or otherwise that I know of.
    That's not what AVAST say:

• Remove old third-party antivirus software before installing Avast Free Antivirus

If you want to install Avast antivirus software on your computer, please ensure that there is no other third-party antivirus software already installed, including expired or trial versions.

Having multiple antivirus programs installed on the same computer commonly results in conflicts, including false positive detections, performance degradation and system instability. Therefore it is strongly recommended to uninstall all other previously installed antivirus applications before installing Avast on your computer.

Avast Free Antivirus FAQ

Thanks
    I agree with Bruce. While you may be able to get away with it for a while, its never a good idea to run two real time AV apps at the same time independent of a firewall. The Avast statement quoted just confirms that.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was always of the same mind until I learned Avast Free didn't have its own firewall, having come across people running Avast Free alongside MSE and even Norton 360 without any problems - the latter won't even install when it detects another fully active AV program installed.

Following a factory reset I always have to uninstall the incumbent McAfee before I can put Norton 360 back on because of its alert.

In the posts lower down in http://blogs.microsoft.com/cybertrus...irus-software/ one user is running MSE and Avast Free together while another is running MSE and Norton 360 together which for me tends to confirm it's the Firewall aspect of a security program that causes the conflict, as Norton 360 disables Windows Firewall on installation.

Thanks

Well happened again. I post a memdump
    http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help...ds-errors.html
    No response yet.

My AVG does not include a Firewall, I'm using W7 Firewall.
    I have a few unusual drivers from applications that me be quarling though.

David

Thanks
    David, I hadn't realised you were getting BSOD's.

If you carefully follow these instructions, attach the required zipped files back here and I'll take a look if you like.

Thanks
    I did not want to cross post but since you ask.
    David

Thanks

Here it is.

Attached Files Attached Files
    David

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast