Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

want to email mail merge docs with multiple rows i created using info from tutorial

Hi Paul,

the tutorial was great! I was able to make a multi row mail merge document and preview the documents. I inserted a picture and a table etc so it came out pretty well.

Couple issues:

1. this is the big one. have not been able to figure out how to email them as individual documents. tried a couple things and ended up getting hundreds of emails to myself (when I was testing) the field I sorted on was not the email field, and I wouldn't be able to sort on it.
    2. the table doesn't come out as one big table but rather as multiple one row tables. better than no table but would be nice to see it al together.
    3. One data column keeps coming up as excel coded date numbers (5 digit date codes). the spread sheet format shows it correctly, but when I insert as a merged field it shos like excel codes. Other date fields work fine. Only caveat on this field is some of the rows are blank while the other date columns have values in every row. (not sure if this matters buts its all I could come up with.

Any help would be great! Once again really nice tutorial. is there some kind of guide for all the syntax you used? not sure when spaces matter or not etc so I just copied verbatim and it worked.

Thanks

Adam

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    1. The tutorial's email process isn't intended to send documents (i.e. attachments) - it's intended to send the content as the email message body. If you want to send documents (i.e. attachments), you'd need a different approach. For example, you may want to try one of the Many-to-One Mail Merge add-ins, from:
    Graham Mayor at http://www.gmayor.com/ManyToOne.htm; or
    Doug Robbins at http://bit.ly/1hduSCB
    Alternatively, you'd need to merge the output to a new file, split the file into individual documents (the Mailmerge Tips and Tricks 'Sticky' thread at the top of this forum http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ips-amp-Tricks shows one way of doing that), then send the individual letters (the macro here: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm could be adapted for that).

2. If you're following the procedure outlined in the tutorial, you wouldn't be ending up with multiple one row tables.

3. That suggests your source file has mixed data types in the column concerned. Blanks and or cells with anything other than dates in the first 8 rows can have this effect.

is there some kind of guide for all the syntax you used?
    Not really. MS does have some basic info (e.g. https://support.office.microsoft.com...rs=en-US&ad=US) but my the techniques in tutorials go way beyond anything anyone at MS ever attempted.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FHWA TEST 1-18-2015.xlsxfhwa merge.docx

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply,

I wasn't clear in my question on this item:

"1. this is the big one. have not been able to figure out how to email them as individual documents. tried a couple things and ended up getting hundreds of emails to myself (when I was testing) the field I sorted on was not the email field, and I wouldn't be able to sort on it."

I am not looking to email them as attachments, just as formatted emails. When I complete the merge the step "review your documents" breaks out individual letters to each recipient. I just cant get it to email correctly. I used my email address fr all f them but could change to some others if that will do the trick. would think that would not affect the outcome

I have attached the word doc and the data source here.

Could you please take a look and let me know what to do on these to address the issue of getting them to load as emails? if its the duplicate emails that ok but I am not going to be able to sort on the

Could to also show me how to fix the table from breaking out into one row tables for each row? I don't know what to do about the first 8 rows being blank or the mixed data thing.

I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with this!

Adam

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Your basic problem is that you really haven't paid attention to the tutorial's instructions on how to do an email merge. The tutorial says quite clearly that you need two mailmerge main documents, one (a normal e-mail mailmerge main document) containing your 'boilerplate' text and just two other fields - «Data» & «Recipient» - and the other (a Directory mailmerge main document) containing just the fields described there, plus the macro that drives the process. Instead, you've added all your 'boilerplate' text to the field coding for the Directory mailmerge main document and you haven't added the macro to it. I assume therefore you're also not using the macro to drive the process as the tutorial says you should.

As for the sorting, I can't see any reason you couldn't use the email field as both your primary key and primary sort field. Since your 'RENTAL ORD' data are already sorted, there's no point in specifying that in the mailmerge as a sort key. Even if that were not the case, you could configure the 'RENTAL ORD' field as your secondary sort field. That said, I imagine the true email addresses are the same for each 'RENTAL ORD' record, so it really doesn't matter which of these fields you use for the key - the results would be the same.

The only field I can see in your data that will have a problem with the dates is 'NEXT PM DUE'. As I said before, that's because you have non-date content (spaces, actually) in the first few cells. The 'Importing Date and Time Values From Excel and Access' topic in my Microsoft Word Date Calculation Tutorial (http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ation-Tutorial) shows how you could deal with that.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am missing something "The tutorial says quite clearly that you need two mail merge main documents, one (a normal e-mail mail merge main document) containing your 'boilerplate' text and just two other fields - «Data» & «Recipient» -" I dint see anything about this in the multiple row tutorial that I referred to. I have looked for another tutorial that discusses mail merge email and haven seen one. Could you please post the link to that one?

Thanks

Adam

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Never mind. I found it. The tutorial I used was your youtube video. just found all the documents. I will work on it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The youtube video to which you refer is not mine. I did post a comment about the video's deficiencies in the version I found there - and where to find the actual tutorial.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    The youtube video to which you refer is not mine. I did post a comment about the video's deficiencies in the version I found there - and where to find the actual tutorial.
    Hi, I have read your guide tutorial (after viewing "the" video and reading your comment which brought me here).

I'm having a slight issue at the moment with merging multiple rows to one document.

Would you be able to help me if so where is best to post? What would you need to see.

Thanks
    Ross

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you attach a copy of your mailmerge main document to a post and describe the issue, I can take a look at it.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    If you attach a copy of your mailmerge main document to a post and describe the issue, I can take a look at it.
    Ok, I am trying to repeat what is in the first section in the middle, so that it repeats all of an invigilators details day, arrival time etc in one message.
    Using the invigilator name as the key.

Thank you for offering your assistance, I can only imagine how frustrating it can be to offer such help but hopefully you can see I have tried!
    This is all very new to me!
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Spacing Issue

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your post on this topic. I'm using Word 2013. I've ran through your tutorial and the problem that I can't figure out is the spacing between lines. I tried copying your code into a blank Word doc. In the example attached I deleted everything from the tutorial except this code and still have the spacing issue. Any suggestions.

- Moriah

Spacing Results.docxSpacing test.doc

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RossThomas View Post
    Ok, I am trying to repeat what is in the first section in the middle, so that it repeats all of an invigilators details day, arrival time etc in one message.
    Using the invigilator name as the key.
    The problem with your mailmerge main document is that it isn't set up anything like what the tutorial shows to be the required field coding. The field codes in the tutorial clearly show (and require) that the entire document content be within the '{QUOTE{IF{MERGESEQ}= 1 {SET Key ""} .... ' construction. Furthermore, what you have inside your QUOTE field that starts off looking like that construction isn't a set of fields at all, but just plain text with braces (i.e. { }) enclosing the field expressions.

Finally, I note that your mailmerge main document has 'Email' in the name. If you are trying to send the output as emails directly to the invigilators, rather than as attachments, you need to use the entirely different procedure in the tutorial's 'Merging by Catalog/Directory to E-Mail' section.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martimor View Post
    the problem that I can't figure out is the spacing between lines. I tried copying your code into a blank Word doc. In the example attached I deleted everything from the tutorial except this code and still have the spacing issue. Any suggestions.
    The problem with your mailmerge main document is that it contains an extra empty paragraph after the field code. Consequently, that extra paragraph break is included after every record in the output.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

martimor (2015-06-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    I've created the template that I would like to email however I'm stumbling with the Merging by Catalog/Directory to E-Mail. Do I copy "RunMerge" macro into the Main Mailmerge file? If so where do I link the email addresses? I've created e-mail mailmerge main document but I feel like I'm missing how the 2 files are connected. Sorry if I'm missing the mark.

Email Merge Main Document.doc
    MAIN MAILMERGE.doc

Thanks,

Moriah

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The tutorial envisages two documents:
    • on neamed ‘Email Merge Main Document.doc’; and
    • your Catalog/Directory mailmerge main document.
    The ‘RunMerge’ macro goes in the latter and both documents should be saved to the same folder before the macro is run. As the tutorial says:
    The ‘RunMerge’ macro takes care of the whole process, executing a Catalog/Directory merge on the raw data to consolidate the groups, then taking the consolidated data and executing an e mail merge to generate the e mails.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast