Star Lounger
    Thanks

File History failed this test

File History seems to have failed to follow a move.
    Is this the way it works? You can't move files?
    Ref: Langalist article on Windows Secrets last week.

My simple setup:
    One USB external drive.
    File History set to "on", and it backs up every hour.
    System goes to sleep when not in use for about an hour.
    Win 8.1 on automatic update.

Two days ago I moved a file from folder A to folder B on my C: drive. I used drag and drop.
    Today I looked into File History on the USB external drive and the file does not exist in the new location (it's still in the old location in File History).
    Every file I could recall saving recently onto C: was there in File History. So, I think File History is backing up after each save.
    This was the only file I moved.

Isn't this a serious failure?

If you can't move files to better organize your work then you have zero assurance that File History will be there when you need it. What else is not working?

Paul

Thanks
    I have the same setup as you. I've been renaming folders (effectively moving them) and I can go back through the older pages of FH and I can see the folder names as they were, so that's working. I've dragged and dropped some files, just to see what happens. However, I'm pretty sure that I've done this in the past without any issues (but that was then). I'll let you know tomorrow what happens (beddy byes now).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2015-01-21)

Thanks
    Just checked and the files I moved are now in the correct directory in File History and not in the old folder. However, they are in the original folders in older versions of file history. Perhaps there was something else causing the problem?

However, when I navigate to the relevant folder on the external drive in file explorer, they don't appear to be there. But then you need to use the history link on the ribbon under home - it's in the penultimate column. I have deleted one of the files, then restored it and it puts it in the right place (there is an option to put it somewhere else). So it seems to work as expected ....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2015-01-20)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    However, when I navigate to the relevant folder on the external drive in file explorer, they don't appear to be there. But then you need to use the history link on the ribbon under home..
    Thank you. I don't understand what you mean by "older versions of file history". I don't seem to have older versions, just one version. Maybe some option is not turned on. I have wondered at others who have complained about archived files filling up their external drives. On the other hand, if I make a MS Word file and save it and later change the file and save it with the same name, there is a string of files with older dates but with the same name. Where do you find the older versions of file history?

I did what you instructed [i.e. \Home\History] and Win8's response was: "We can't find your folder...This folder isn't being backed up...add it to the Library". Not to argue with MS, but this folder IS listed under LIBRARIES on C: To test the veracity of MS's missive, I put a new test file into this folder and requested a File History update. It did put the test file into this folder. So, in fact, File History does know this folder is in the LIBRARY and does back up new files into this folder. So there is DEFINITELY something amiss with my File History, but not yours.

Any ideas where I have gone wrong?

Paul

Thanks
    Sorry, not very clear. Attached is the File History restore window (got as you have done by clicking the button at the top). I should have said previous versions of the files - seen by clicking the left arrow at the bottom. The date is last month as I haven't added any music files since then.

fh2.png

Where I think you've gone wrong is that you need to be in the folder on your C drive, not in the file history folders on your external drive. Indeed, you don't actually need to go into those folders - all can be done via the File History restore window. So if you want to restore a file from c:\data\documents, you need to go there and press the history button, then you will see the latest saved files and can navigate to previous files.

Hope this helps

8. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2015-01-21)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Again. Thank you SO.... much!
    You have made it perfectly clear.
    I missed some very important clues.
    From what I've read on MS's own website under this topic, there are at least a few others that have become convinced that File History does not work.

In the event my pc drive failed, I should be able to go to the external USB and see the test file in the new folder. That's where I would expect it to be.

This may be an unfair question, which probably should be addressed to the MS engineers, but how then would you find the file, given that you only had the USB drive? From the above it "appears" that the "trail of history" is located on the failed C: drive. Let's assume further that a busy person moves some files and even folders on their pc on regular basis and then this disaster occurs. And their boss immediately wants some files printed out for a meeting. There is no time to restore an entire pc (it could take many hours). And under the pressure of the moment, they can't remember the names of all of the original folders? Is there a way to see this history using just the USB drive?
    Paul

Thanks
    It is an unfair question, but a bit of Googling found this http://randomthoughtsofforensics.blo...ch-part-2.html.
    It looks like these two files, Catalog1.edb and Catalog2.edb hold the info that File History needs and they are both on the backup disk (in the configuration folder). I assume that connecting the external disk to another win 8 PC and setting it up via the file history link on Control Panel will enable you to restore the needed files, especially as you can restore selected files to another location. I can't test this as I only have the one win8 PC.

If all else fails, you can still search for files on the backup disk - but this would only be in desperation. And I don't think any other backup system is likely to be any quicker or better in your scenario. But then where I worked, all files were on network disks - we were told not to save anything onto our local disks as they wouldn't be backed up. So there wouldn't have been such a problem in our case!

p.s. those databases are not human readable.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2015-01-21)