Thanks

Windows 7 & Microsoft Security Essentials, Unable to Install/Uninstall

This odyssey began when I connected a little-used Windows 7 laptop to the internet to get the January updates. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C50-A running factory-installed 64-bit Windows 7. It has not been modified other than having application programs so that it can be used for the purpose the laptop was purchased for and, of course, various updates installed.

When the laptop booted up and connected to the internet, I received a “Windows is not genuine” error. I followed the link provided and it stated it could be fixed by purchasing a new key. BS!

Later in the day, I appeared to be able to get the legitcheck.hta to run and determine that my key was, indeed, legit. Since then, I have not had the “Windows is not genuine” error come up.

This is where my problems really begin. I had Microsoft Security Essentials installed. I wanted to uninstall it and replace it with Avira because it was more highly rated than MSE. Apparently, MSE did not completely uninstall, because, when I tried to install Avira, it stopped because as far as it was concerned MSE was still installed! In fact, Windows Update thinks MSE is still installed as it offers optional MSE Updates!

I have tried to reinstall MSE only to get error 0x80070643. One reason I found that this error may come up is if Windows is not genuine.

So far, trying the various solutions I have found online have not succeeded in fixing things. Currently, I am in the process of running scans with Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot to make sure no malware snuck onto the computer. After that, I think I will do an antivirus scan with Kaspersky or another if anyone here recommends a different one to use.

From what I can tell, Windows 7 is considered genuine. (It is shown as “activated” in “System” (Start>Computer>(right-click) Properties). Also, I do not have a link there to change the product key.))
    Unless I have a virus or other malware, what other options do I have to fix this?

UPDATE: Whatever else I tried seems to have removed whatever was preventing Avira from installing because it thought MSE was installed. Avira is now installed and running. Also, the antimalware scans detected nothing.

I am currently scanning my system with Avira.

UPDATE 2: Avira scan is still running, no detections so far.

Also, Windows Update no longer finds that there are MSE updates available for installation.
    Last edited by WildcatRay; 2015-01-20 at 13:55. Reason: Update Post with latest info
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Thanks
    If it were me, I would try re-installing MSE and then remove it again with either REVO or IOBit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    If it were me, I would try re-installing MSE and then remove it again with either REVO or IOBit.
    That is the thing. I cannot get it to reinstall. That is when the error 0x80070643 comes up.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Thanks
    Does this apply in your situation?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ndows-firewall

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Does this apply in your situation?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ndows-firewall

Jerry
    Windows Firewall was on and remained on. The only Action Center messages I received MSE or other AV program was not running.
    Ray

Thanks
    From the updates in post #1, it looks like your problem is solved then?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    From the updates in post #1, it looks like your problem is solved then?
    At this point, it seems resolved. Only time will tell.
    Ray