2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is This Configuration Legit?

I currently dual boot Win7 64 and a Linux distro. Primarily I work with Linux. The computer originally came with 32 bit Win7 pre-installed. The 64 bit version was purchased as an upgrade. Of course, they both use the same activation key for this physical machine. My question is: would installation of the 32 bit Win7 into a virtual machine (running within Linux) work and, if so, would it be legitimate? I'm thinking that since both versions would be on the same physical machine it might be OK.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Yobil; 2015-01-20 at 12:45.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yobil View Post
    I currently dual boot Win7 64 and a Linux distro. Primarily I work with Linux. The computer originally came with 32 bit Win7 pre-installed. The 64 bit version was purchased as an upgrade. Of course, they both use the same activation key for this physical machine. My question is: would installation of the 32 bit Win7 into a virtual machine (running within Linux) work and, if so, would it be legitimate? I'm thinking that since both versions would be on the same physical machine it might be OK.
    Thanks
    Not according to the EULA. One Product Key equals one installation. Either 32-bit or 64-bit, but not both. Running in a virtual machine is considered the same as a standard installation.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You could create a dual boot 32 bit and 64 bit since you could only run one version at a time. This would allow 32 bit programs to run native 32 bit and allow enhanced 64 bit for your other needs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JHarrsch View Post
    You could create a dual boot 32 bit and 64 bit since you could only run one version at a time. This would allow 32 bit programs to run native 32 bit and allow enhanced 64 bit for your other needs.
    That doesn't fit the EULA, either. Doesn't matter that you can only run one version at a time, it's one installation on one machine.

To dual boot each version would require two licenses, one for each installation.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows