Thread: Thermal gel?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thermal gel?

I'm trying for my first time to build a complete system from parts. I've got a retail packaged Intel 1.8GHz, 478 CPU which included a heat sink and fan.

Once I install the small processor chip onto the mainboard, am I suppose to apply some type of thermal gel to the top of it prior to resting the heat sink and fan upon it?

There was no such material in the sealed intel box and the instruction manual is useless!
    - Ricky

Thanks

Re: Thermal gel?

Thermal transfer compound is the stuff you are talking about - looks like white tooth-paste.
    There are 'dry' alternatives - often in a grey rubbery fabric about the thickness of heavy paper.
    Plus you can also get thermal-transfer adhesive - a cross between the above paste and super-glue.

Ideally, if you are mating two hard flat surfaces together, you need something to assist in the transfer of heat, as rarely are both truly flat. Having said that, it can be acceptable simply to force the two surfaces together with spring clips, it depends on what efficiency is required.

There is probably no correct answer to your question - it is likely to depend on size, orientation and position of the fan, plus proximity to other heat sources.

Personally I would recommend you DO use something - keep it as thin and even as possible and away from any electrical connectors. Your local 'Tandy' (?) or whatever should be able to supply you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif, I appreciate the info.
    - Ricky

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Try Artic Silver I or II, both work great, well ok I know I works but II is supposed to be better. Check it out at www.HighSpeedPC.com or wherever you can find it.