Star Lounger
    Thanks

A question on UEFI and BIOS - New Build

I'm replacing my trusty pc as it's getting rather old now (like me I guess) and replacing it with the following main components:

MBoard: Asus X99-S
    CPU: i7 5820
    RAM: 16 Gb DDR4
    Graphics: XFX R9 290
    HD: 3 x 2Tb Seagate SATA
    O/S: Win7 Pro

Bearing in mind that I'm not going to go over 2Tb drives (I've never actually gone over 200Gb on a drive) and will use minimal (if any overclocking) is there any point in using UEFI rather than the BIOS?

Aside from a pretty interface does UEFI actually add any real functionality bearing in mind I'm using Win7

If I do disable UEFI and use the BIOS option is that liable to cause problems as I'm not sure if it's really like the old BIOS or an emulation?

My reason for asking is that I've been happy using the old BIOS for years (since MS DOS days) so unless there's a real advantage to changing to UEFI I see no reason to change simply for the sake of it.

I've lurked here for quite a few years and have always been impressed by the responses so look forward to any advice you might be able to give.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Slorm,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

I'd say the biggest advantage to UEFI would be secure boot, helping to keep boot viruses out of your system.

You may find this Tutorial on Win 7 UEFI Installation helpful. HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-01-21 at 17:14.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Slorm (2015-01-22)

Thanks

Rg
    your link is broken:

http://Win 7 UEFI Secure Boot

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    David,

Not mentioning any names but some noob copied & pasted the search bar vs the location bar!
    Thanks for point it out. It's now correct.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks guys, on the second question of using the BIOS option, are there any issues with that you know of?

Thanks
    Slorm,

Read and decide which is best for you.

Reference1
    Reference2

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slorm View Post
    I'm replacing my trusty pc as it's getting rather old now (like me I guess) and replacing it with the following main components:

MBoard: Asus X99-S
    CPU: i7 5820
    RAM: 16 Gb DDR4
    Graphics: XFX R9 290
    HD: 3 x 2Tb Seagate SATA
    O/S: Win7 Pro

Bearing in mind that I'm not going to go over 2Tb drives (I've never actually gone over 200Gb on a drive) and will use minimal (if any overclocking) is there any point in using UEFI rather than the BIOS?

Aside from a pretty interface does UEFI actually add any real functionality bearing in mind I'm using Win7

If I do disable UEFI and use the BIOS option is that liable to cause problems as I'm not sure if it's really like the old BIOS or an emulation?

My reason for asking is that I've been happy using the old BIOS for years (since MS DOS days) so unless there's a real advantage to changing to UEFI I see no reason to change simply for the sake of it.

I've lurked here for quite a few years and have always been impressed by the responses so look forward to any advice you might be able to give.
    1. Your new build will be exclusively EUFI, there will be no options between BIOS & EUFI, so that should answer one of your questions quite definitively...You don't get to choose.
    (One thing to take note of regarding semantics: BIOS and EUFI may often be mentioned interchangeably).
    2. I've just completed a new build too with the Asus X99 Deluxe, and I can tell you first hand that you will not miss that old
    BIOS one little bit. EUFI is more than just a pretty interface and Asus does a great job with theirs.
    3. EUFI will offer Superior motherboard monitoring, from fan control to temp monitoring.
    4. You'll have the ability browse EUFI with your mouse, save favorite settings easily, and so much more.
    5. On an enthusiast board EUFI is so much more configurable and intuitive, but you've got to get to know it.

All I can tell you about EUFI is get to know it intimately. The better you understand it the more you'll like it.
    Pore over the install manuals and download as many You Tube videos as you can find on the subject, it definitely helps.

I recommend these as a starting point:
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99S/HelpDesk_Manual/
    How to setup UEFI - BIOS for native UEFI bootloader
    What To Do With Your PC Hardware Before You Build (this can't be stressed enough)
    M.2 drive (see Post #7)
    M.2 drive support is FULLY functional in EUFI & the chipset, it's worth some serious consideration.

With the board you've chosen all the Asus X99 EUFI with be the same with the exception of the ROG series.

Enjoy your new build.
    PS, get your self an SSD to throw into that mix, to use a 2TB drive as a main OS drive is a poor choice.
    (Like an equestrian in a race riding a pig instead of a stallion)
    CLiNT
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-01-22 at 12:29.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Slorm (2015-01-23)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's brilliant, thanks everyone and Clint in particular for such a detailed answer.

I'm looking at SSD's now as I'm not hurrying to complete the build and waiting on a couple new cables with a better length for the case. I settled on a Corsair case this time around (Obsidian 750D) and it's a joy to work on, lots of space and nice tidy cables under the backplate, but I've had to order some longer sata cables

Thanks
    I recommend these as a starting point:
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X99S/HelpDesk_Manual/
    How to setup UEFI - BIOS for native UEFI bootloader
    What To Do With Your PC Hardware Before You Build (this can't be stressed enough)
    M.2 drive (see Post #7)
    M.2 drive support is FULLY functional in EUFI & the chipset, it's worth some serious consideration.
    Interesting if I can get youtube to stop stuttering I may listen to the asus guy again. I am beginning to regret buying gigibyte, I wanted to check something and their web site is barely up

The stuttering is probably comodo's fault...
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-01-24 at 11:41. Reason: Deleted orphaned codes
    David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slorm View Post
    That's brilliant, thanks everyone and Clint in particular for such a detailed answer.

I'm looking at SSD's now as I'm not hurrying to complete the build and waiting on a couple new cables with a better length for the case. I settled on a Corsair case this time around (Obsidian 750D) and it's a joy to work on, lots of space and nice tidy cables under the backplate, but I've had to order some longer sata cables
    Take your time, I took 4-6 months in the "just thinking about it" and research stage of it.
    It'll also give more time to fine tune your budget.
    PS the Obsidian 750D is a decent case.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.