Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Laptop not good?

Got a Toshiba L755 three years ago. I've been having LOTS of problems with it, slowdowns, freezes, etc. Took back to Microcenter for repairs and they said the hard drive mechanics were shot and not worth repairing. Does anyone else find this unusual?, or could this be an upgrade ploy? It's too bad because it is a nice looking machine. Windows 7 home premium, 4 gigs ram.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Laidbackuser,

HDDs in laptops are easy to replace and you can replace it with an SSD and get a performance bump along the way. Check out YouTube for videos on dismantling your exact machine. You'll find, I think, that it is a lot easier than you thought.

Of course this is assuming that it is the "mechanics", i.e. the HDD itself and not the control electronics on the motherboard.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think you should go back to Microcenter and ask them to clarify if it is just the HDD or the electronics.

Thanks
    the hard drive mechanics were shot and not worth repairing
    Yeah, I agree, that's very vague. That doesn't tell us anything at all.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    IMHO, I would be a little wary of a repair centre that claimed a 3-year-old laptop wasn't worth repairing due to an HD fault.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    IMHO, I would be a little wary of a repair centre that claimed a 3-year-old laptop wasn't worth repairing due to an HD fault.
    I think HP went through (and may still be) a phase where their laptop MBs were failing prematurely and I know of the same model of Toshiba bought around the same time as mine (2011ish) wouldn't power up because of a MB problem.

Electronic component failure is no respecter of age so we'll need to wait for details of what was found.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again,

Microcenter said the HD failed their tests. I'm not very savvy when it comes to computer hardware. Found out that a lot of HDs fail long before three years. As to whether it is worth fixing they said it's up to me. Does not look like a big deal to replace. The profit in fixing these machines must be substantial. Thanks for the replies. Any good sites for partitioning new HDs, and for fresh installs? Thanks again.

Thanks
    Microcenter said the HD failed their tests.
    Replacing the drive shouldn't be a problem at all, that'll be the easy part.
    You may have to purchase a new Windows OS disk if your original was resident on the failed drive.

We could probably walk you through the replacement process and save you some coin.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-01-25 at 10:36.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would have thought any worthwhile repair centre would have told you exactly what was wrong and where it was just HDD failure, offered to do it for you with the additional cost for you to decide if it was viable for you.

The difficult (and expensive) bit would be to see if file recovery from the old HDD was possible.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laidbackuser View Post
    Got a Toshiba L755 three years ago. I've been having LOTS of problems with it, slowdowns, freezes, etc. Took back to Microcenter for repairs and they said the hard drive mechanics were shot and not worth repairing. Does anyone else find this unusual?, or could this be an upgrade ploy? It's too bad because it is a nice looking machine. Windows 7 home premium, 4 gigs ram.
    I regularly have to replace failing HDDs in customers' laptops (and desktops). In probably nine case out of ten it is a matter of copying the partitions from the sick HDD to a new HDD (I use BootIt Bare Metal for the copying). Sometimes it is necessary to run a chkdsk /r scan on the old HDD to avoid copy errors.

Update 2915-01-26, 9:32PM: probably should have mentioned that if copying partitions across to a new HDD succeeds then it is usually fairly easy to correct any remaining errors.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-01-26 at 06:36. Reason: update
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Watch this video to see how easy it is to replace the hard drive in your laptop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svTUrXrAa1U

If you have a "System Image" type backup you can use that to restore your whole Windows setup onto a new replacement drive.

As Retired Geek said in his post an SSD will really boost performance of the laptop and make it feel even faster than when you first bought it. If you're restoring Windows from a System Image then you'll need a 500GB or larger new drive. If you're doing a fresh install of Windows from scratch then a 250GB drive is OK if you feel that gives you enough storage space. Another point is that an SSD can also be moved later to a newer laptop if desired; and SSDs are way more shock resistant than regular spinning hard drives, and they run cooler, and they consume less power.

A 3 year-old laptop hard drive may fail for several reasons including simple mechanical failure, heavy use, overheating (dust accumulation in the air vents or failed fan), shock damage (someone dropped it on the floor), etc.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Deleted, duplicate post.
    Last edited by tonyl; 2015-01-30 at 13:03.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Replacing the drive shouldn't be a problem at all, that'll be the easy part.
    You may have to purchase a new Windows OS disk if your original was resident on the failed drive.

We could probably walk you through the replacement process and save you some coin.
    Couldn't the OP beg, steal or borrow a disk? Or at least a copy of one. He'd use his existing licence number, of course.

Edit: just noticed, he might be able to get it here.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    not really

did you get an original laptop
    from the importer and not grey market

did you get a return that had been abused
    or a used that was refurbbed and sold as new

sometimes hardware fails
    cuold be a bad HD from the factory
    but they are expensive to fix
    and laptops are cheaper now
    better to buy a new one than fix it imho

i have had good luck with microcenter and trust them
    maybe other stores are not as good as ours
    dont know cant say

Quote Originally Posted by laidbackuser View Post

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    depends what you pay for

microcenter will run diagnostics andor test something to see if it works
    if you want details then you authorise the repair and pay more
    although they apply the diagnostics fee to the repair

you cant always tell why and HD failed just that it fails the diagnostics and does not work versus mobo power supply etc causing the problem

if file recovery were possible they would tell you

i got my iffy HD cloned to a newer bigger one and kept on working with the same pc data programs etc only better than before
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I would have thought any worthwhile repair centre would have told you exactly what was wrong and where it was just HDD failure, offered to do it for you with the additional cost for you to decide if it was viable for you.

The difficult (and expensive) bit would be to see if file recovery from the old HDD was possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast