Lounger
    Thanks

IE 8 uninstall problem

Using an Acer 2.1Gigaherz, 4 Gigabyte RAM computer with Windows 7. I normally use Chrome to browse, but recently decided to update my IE from version 8 to 11. Have tried to do this in the past, but with no sucess. I read, recently, that you have to uninstall 8 before installing 11. So, I went to Control Panel and looked for the IE 8 update, to uninstall it. Problem is, that update isn't listed in my installed updates. It's also not listed as an uninstallable program. Question is: how to uninstall it, when it's not listed in either place?

Thanks,
    Wadtite

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    IE is "integrated" into Windows and shows up under "Windows Features", but you don't need to uninstall it to load IE 11.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    IE8 is the default browser for W7. Its part of the OS, so it cant be uninstalled. When first released, IE11 wasn't available for W7. A modified version is now available. However, IE11 can only be installed on Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or higher. Go to Control Panel>Windows Updates and download any outstanding updates before trying to install IE11.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/i...wide-languages

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    IE8 is the default browser for W7. Its part of the OS, so it cant be uninstalled. When first released, IE11 wasn't available for W7. A modified version is now available. However, IE11 can only be installed on Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or higher. Go to Control Panel>Windows Updates and download any outstanding updates before trying to install IE11.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/i...wide-languages
    Thanks, Paul T. and Calimanco. I am running SP1 (forgot to mention that earlier.) If memory serves, I had an earlier version of I E than 8 until after I installed Windows 7. Seems that I got I E 8 as an update, somewhere along the way. Not sure where that leaves me for trying to get I E 11. In any event, 11 won't install (even though it is listed as the only update that I haven't yet installed.) That's right: It's being offered to me as an update, but it won't install. Computers! I think I'll go out and buy an Abacus!
    wadtite

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What reason does it give for not installing?
    Does it install from this MS site?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    What reason does it give for not installing?
    Does it install from this MS site?

cheers, Paul
    It says code 9C59. It was in researching this error code that I came across something saying that I had to uninstall IE 8 first, before installing IE11. When I go to the link you provided, I get this:

Sorry, Internet Explorer 11 is not compatible with your system.
    Upgrade to Windows 8.1 now to get a faster, more secure web.
    Check to make sure you have the most updated Internet Explorer for your PC.

Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me why IE 11 isn't compatible with my system. When I go to sites that tell you what will keep your system from being compatible with installing I E 11, I seem to meet all the requirements.

Wadtite

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wadtite View Post
    It says code 9C59. It was in researching this error code that I came across something saying that I had to uninstall IE 8 first, before installing IE11. When I go to the link you provided, I get this:

Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me why IE 11 isn't compatible with my system. When I go to sites that tell you what will keep your system from being compatible with installing I E 11, I seem to meet all the requirements.

Wadtite
    New information:

When I try to install IE 11, it leaves an icon on my desktop. When I click on it, part of the message that I get is this (from Microsoft):

Uninstall Internet Explorer 9 before you install Internet Explorer 11

During the installation process of Internet Explorer 11, you may receive the 9C59 error.

To resolve this issue, you may uninstall Internet Explorer 9, restart your computer, and then install Internet Explorer 11.
    To uninstall Internet Explorer 9
    Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
    Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
    Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
    Click Restart now to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9.
    After your computer restarts, try to install Internet Explorer 11.

I figure that if you have to uninstall IE 9, before you can install I E 11, surely you must have to also uninstall IE 8 before uninstalling IE 11. But, I can't seem to find a way to uninstall IE8.
    wadatite

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Is IE listed in "Windows Features"? Open "Programs and Features", click on "Turn Windows features on or off" in the top left.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As already posted, IE 8 is the base version for Win 7 and is not listed as a Windows Update as >=IE 9 would be.

If you have another browser installed, you could try unchecking Internet Explorer in Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off and then try the IE 11 install again - but create a restore point first before making any changes.

You must have another browser installed first before turning IE off as you will lose all access to the Internet and rechecking its box may not auto reinstate it.

Resetting IE to defaults prior to attempting the update may also help if you want to leave it enabled.

While this may be purely an IE thingy, resetting the Windows Update Components or downloading the Update Readiness Tool could help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...Readiness-Tool

Lounger
    Thanks
    Is IE listed in "Windows Features"? Open "Programs and Features", click on "Turn Windows features on or off" in the top left.

cheers, Paul
    Yes, it's listed. The box for IE8 is checked. Should I uncheck it?
    Thanks,
    wadtite

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    As already posted, IE 8 is the base version for Win 7 and is not listed as a Windows Update as >=IE 9 would be.

If you have another browser installed, you could try unchecking Internet Explorer in Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off and then try the IE 11 install again - but create a restore point first before making any changes.

You must have another browser installed first before turning IE off as you will lose all access to the Internet and rechecking its box may not auto reinstate it.

Resetting IE to defaults prior to attempting the update may also help if you want to leave it enabled.

While this may be purely an IE thingy, resetting the Windows Update Components or downloading the Update Readiness Tool could help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...Readiness-Tool
    Will try resetting IE to defaults, first, then will try unchecking IE8 from Windows features. I do have Chrome and FireFox, so that won't be a problem.
    Thanks
    Wadtite

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Don't forget to create a restore point first before turning IE off, but give those MS Update bits a try first before turning it off and then see if the IE 11 WU will install.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Don't forget to create a restore point first before turning IE off, but give those MS Update bits a try first before turning it off and then see if the IE 11 WU will install.
    Tried resetting IE to default settings. Same results.
    Unchecked IE8 in Windows Features. Now, when I check for updates, it tells me that I have no updates to install! ARggh. Where's that Abacus?
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Guess I'll forget about IE 11. I've got Chrome and Firefox.
    Wadtite.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Did you try the link in post #5 above?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you try the link in post #5 above?

cheers, Paul
    Yes. That's when I got this message:

Have rechecked the box in Windows Features to get IE8 back, but I still get the "no updates available" message when check for Windows Updates. No longer is the update for IE11 listed. Also, no icon on screen for IE8, even after rechecking that box, but I should be able to fix that easily.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Wadtite