New Lounger
    Thanks

sd card reader disappears after eject

Hi folks,

I have a new Dell xps 8700 that I just bought in October 2014 for the sole purpose for use in a home recording studio. It has several built in card readers in the front panel. The sd card reader works great, but after I eject the card for safe removal, the drive disappears. Meaning that when I reinsert the card, the physical drive light comes on, but it does not show up in explorer. The situation is resolved by rebooting, but I would prefer not to have to.

I specifically got Win7 on this machine for it is friendlier to recording audio than win8. One of the main objectives is to not allow the computer to automatically check anything, nor poll anything, nor update anything behind the scenes, nor do ANYTHING that I don't tell it to do as it runs the risk of bogging the machine down during the recording process.

I'm not alone in this disappearing drive problem if you check out this forum that is several years old:

http://en.community.dell.com/support...514/t/18862879

Is it possible that it is a Win7 issue? Is it possible that I have inadvertently turned off a process in services.msc that is causing this behavior?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Thomas H

Thanks
    The behavior itself is normal. I have a Dell Inspiron 580 running Windows 7, and it also has multiple card readers built into the front of the case. If there is no card in any reader, the card reader does not show in an Explorer view (although it will show in Disk Management). The card reader is actually USB ports, and USB ports don't show up unless something is plugged into them.

Have you tried right-click in the Explorer pane and selecting refresh? You have evidently selected a default behavior to not open anything when a card is inserted. My default is "open to view files".
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Could it be the item in Tools, Folder Options, View tab about "Hide empty drives in the Computer folder" is checked?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Could it be the item in Tools, Folder Options, View tab about "Hide empty drives in the Computer folder" is checked?
    +1

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Your problem could be a Win7 problem. How are you ejecting the SD card? On my win 7 desktop with an internal card reader, if I right click the tray icon for the mounted card and select eject, I can no longer use the card reader until I reboot the machine. If I instead go to the explorer interface and find the card there and eject it, the reader is still usable for another SD card. Go figure, you would think that ejecting an SD card is ejecting an SD card, but apparently on my machine one shuts down the reader, and the other way it only stops the reading of the media so that you can remove it. Found this by trial and error. Hope it helps