2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2010: Spell check reverting to French

I've had this problem off and on, where I will be spell checking a document in English and the spell checker will revert to French. I've been searching, and don't see a fix for this. Is there one?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar issue - couldn't find what the program was - where something started addressing me in German. I found that the cause was a Deutsche Bahn rail timetable, and this app thought that this changed the native language of the system to German.

So, my suggestion to you is this, could you have installed any program recently that has French as its main language, and might change the default language of the rest of the system?

I can assure you, this was really difficult to track down until I unstalled and re-installed the DB timetable, and everything was OK after that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Every paragraph in a document has a setting that tells the spell checker what language to check that paragraph in. This allows documents to be created with multiple languages where each paragraph's spelling is checked with the relevant spell checker. Usually, you don't want this functionality but at least it is possible. Generally, unless you go visiting the language dialog settings, the language used for each paragraph comes from the style definitions. Therefore to set the document to spell check in a specific language you need to modify the language settings of all styles. In addition, there can be local language overrides applied so you want to address this as well. The simplest way to catch all these possible places for the errant language to hide is to use a macro. You can edit the following code to apply the dictionary of your choice - mine is Australian English.
    Code:
    Sub SetLanguage()
      'Created by Chrysalis Design Pty Ltd
      'Changes all the styles in the document to Australian spelling
      Dim aStyle As Style
      For Each aStyle In ActiveDocument.Styles
        If aStyle.Type = wdStyleTypeParagraph Then
          aStyle.LanguageID = wdEnglishAUS
        End If
      Next aStyle
      ActiveDocument.Range.LanguageID = wdEnglishAUS
    End Sub
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

rodsmine (2015-01-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    I had a similar issue - couldn't find what the program was - where something started addressing me in German. I found that the cause was a Deutsche Bahn rail timetable, and this app thought that this changed the native language of the system to German.

So, my suggestion to you is this, could you have installed any program recently that has French as its main language, and might change the default language of the rest of the system?

I can assure you, this was really difficult to track down until I unstalled and re-installed the DB timetable, and everything was OK after that.

No, we haven't installed any programs, and nothing in the report in question this time has any French language in it. Unless Word saw something that looked like French to it, I can't see why it would switch in the middle of the document. But thanks for the heads up, I'll be watchful for that in the future.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Every paragraph in a document has a setting that tells the spell checker what language to check that paragraph in. This allows documents to be created with multiple languages where each paragraph's spelling is checked with the relevant spell checker. Usually, you don't want this functionality but at least it is possible. Generally, unless you go visiting the language dialog settings, the language used for each paragraph comes from the style definitions. Therefore to set the document to spell check in a specific language you need to modify the language settings of all styles. In addition, there can be local language overrides applied so you want to address this as well. The simplest way to catch all these possible places for the errant language to hide is to use a macro. You can edit the following code to apply the dictionary of your choice - mine is Australian English.
    Code:
    Sub SetLanguage()
      'Created by Chrysalis Design Pty Ltd
      'Changes all the styles in the document to Australian spelling
      Dim aStyle As Style
      For Each aStyle In ActiveDocument.Styles
        If aStyle.Type = wdStyleTypeParagraph Then
          aStyle.LanguageID = wdEnglishAUS
        End If
      Next aStyle
      ActiveDocument.Range.LanguageID = wdEnglishAUS
    End Sub
    My goodness! So you have to go through every one of your styles (dozens!) and change the language settings?? Word is not very efficient, is it. I will see if I can install that macro and see what we come up with. Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    It is actually somewhat worse than that. Every character in Word can carry language settings. These settings will be copied when you copy the text unless you copy as plain text. If you are lucky, your settings are just by paragraph. I believe Andrew's macro will catch individual character-level settings as well.

This method is very efficient and effective for people who want to have multiple languages in a single document. For the rest of us, it is a real pain.
    See Mastering the Spelling Checker.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Charles, I have bookmarked the link and will check it out when I have a few spare minutes.