Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Lost data, got most of it back

Yesterday I did something really stupid, but fortunately I was able to correct it...for the most part.

Recently I had an opportunity to purchase and install a couple of new drives to replace the older ones that
    either indicated pending failure through SMART, or that I had accidently broken part of the SATA port on the one drive.
    (I performed a whole new build recently and updating some of the drives made good sense)
    The drive where I accidently broke part of the SATA connector wasn't the stupid I'm referring to here, that drive still works,
    but keeping it as a viable working drive would be unacceptable and I had previously taken measures to get the data it contained off.

No, the stupidity came later when it came time to format the drive; I formatted the wrong one.
    I have 8 drives in total on this system and I should have been paying closer attention to what I was doing. I should know better.
    This has happened to me before, albeit not on such a scale, and it'll most likely happen again at some point in the future.

I formatted a drive that contained 1.81TB worth of video organized in very specific archival folder structures.
    Fortunately performing a drive format does not mean that everything is hopelessly gone.

Real World Review:

EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 7.5 is what I used to get it back and I've been using the paid version for around 8 months or so since
    I needed to successfully get some photos I had also accidentally formatted from a camera flash card.
    I don't recall exactly what I had paid for it but I know it was somewhere around the 60 dollar range.

Needless to say EaseUS was able to retrieve ALL of the videos, but the surprise here was that it also managed to get about 90% of my
    folder structure as well. That was a surprise to me as I thought that I would have to rebuild all those folders again from scratch.
    I don't know how common it is to retrieve Windows explorer folder structure from a recovery program, but
    recovering the hidden "System Volume Information" when selecting recovery options for the drive may have been the answer to that.
    *Anyone else with more experience with recovery is more than welcome to comment on retrieving folder structure type data.

The down side was that approx. 5% of the video retrieved had lost it's name information, so I've got some work ahead of me.
    The recovery took about 8 to 10 hours to complete, as this was a huge amount of video on a 3TB drive to loose.
    I'm confident that I'll end up putting things back near to what I had before, but it'll still take a bit of work.
    I did manage to create a listing of all files on the drive with the free JDirPrinter by Spadix, I did that some time ago, hopefully it's not too old.

In conclusion I can say that the above software works, albeit with a few caveats, but overall I'm satisfied with it.
    I guess the take-away from all this is:
    Have the needed recovery program on hand before SHTF, and possibly test it at least once before hand and have a plan
    for it's possible usage, as I'm sure JDirPrinter will be of some help in the coming days.

Thanks for viewing
    CLiNT
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-01-22 at 14:50.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

dkmac (2015-02-11),esdee51 (2015-01-29),justgeo1 (2015-01-29)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    They'll make anyone a Super Moderator these days...

cheers, Paul

p.s. I notice your posts tend to have line breaks in strange places. Do you write your replies in something and then transfer them to your browser?

Thanks
    p.s. I notice your posts tend to have line breaks in strange places. Do you write your replies in something and then transfer them to your browser?
    Yeah, sometimes I do.

They'll make anyone a Super Moderator these days...

That certainly appears to be true.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanks for the review Clint. I've made that mistake in the past as well. (Maybe that's a Super Moderator requirement?? ) Nice to hear you were largely successful in your recovery.

Jerry

Thanks
    I Did Something REALLY Stupid, but...
    Welcome to the Club!!
    Dues are due daily .
    Glad you got it mostly back. Thanks for the Feedback on EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 7.5 and JDirPrinter .

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    CLiNT,

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
    George Bernard Shaw

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field.
    Niels Bohr

The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.
    John Powell

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

esdee51 (2015-01-29),justgeo1 (2015-01-29),RolandJS (2015-01-22)

Thanks
    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. I don't know who said it first, but it's kinda become my mantra—"Any file that you don't have at least two copies of is a file you don't really want to keep."

I have only 5 drives on my new build, 4 1TB and 1 2TB. The 2TB and two of the 1TB drives are dedicated to drive/partition images. I also have a NAS with two interchangeable 3TB drive cartridges, and another desktop with a SSD and a 1TB data drive. I keep multiple images of all my partitions, full drive images of my working drives, plus duplicates of my working partitions/data partitions on separate drives/PC's. My financial data is also on USB sticks and DVD's.

I haven't actually formatted a drive in a long, long time, other than a single partition drive as a target for drive images. Restoring a full drive image to a replacement drive takes care of all of that in one fell swoop. But I did indeed format the wrong drive a few years ago. I think the good Lord was looking over my shoulder, because I realized what I had done before I proceeded further. I had formatted the drive using BootIt Next Generation, and one of the options available is Unformat. I applied that option, and the drive was restored to its former self in full.

On occasion I will format a USB stick with Windows, but for a hard disk drive, I boot into BootIt Bare Metal to do my formatting/partitioning. I never touch a hard drive with Windows tools, other than for information as in Disk Management. Those quotations in my signature (as well as my own quote in red) mean something very personal to me; I've got a story for each one.

Glad you got it sorted out CLiNT, and thanks for posting.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 8 drives in total on this system
    I have only 5 drives on my new build
    I am curious about this. I was under the impression only 4 drives can be on a computer. Anyone care to explain???
    Giving clear details on how to recover from a disaster is always honorable IMHO.
    Michael

Thanks
    Michael,

I think what you are referring to is 4 Primary Partitions on a MBR formatted disk. You can have as many physical drives as your hardware will support! Of course if you exceed 26 you'll have to do some fancy footwork to get around the drive letter limitation. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael37713 View Post
    I am curious about this. I was under the impression only 4 drives can be on a computer. Anyone care to explain???
    Giving clear details on how to recover from a disaster is always honorable IMHO.
    Michael
    The number of installed drives depends on the number of drives that the motherboard will support, that is, the number of SATA connectors that are available. Even this can usually be overcome by installing a PCI express expansion card with SATA connectors. In the days of IDE hard drive connectors, one was usually limited to two primary and two secondary hard drives for a total of 4. But even that could be gotten around using an SCSI PCI expansion card.

My motherboard has 5 SATA connectors plus an mSATA connector. I used an mSATA to SATA adapter card in the mSATA connector to give me a 6th SATA connector. My CD/DVD drive is connected through that one, so I actually have 6 "drives".
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-01-23 at 12:46.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Michael37713 (2015-01-24)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Michael,

I think what you are referring to is 4 Primary Partitions on a MBR formatted disk. You can have as many physical drives as your hardware will support! Of course if you exceed 26 you'll have to do some fancy footwork to get around the drive letter limitation. HTH
    The alphabet can be exceeded with partitions/logical drives.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The alphabet can be exceeded with partitions/logical drives.
    I'll bite. How does that work in Windows?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Wavy,

It's all right here. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Michael37713 (2015-01-24),wavy (2015-01-23)

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

Here's how it's done.

First I created a 1Gb partition and did not assign it a drive letter.
    NODLPartition.JPG
    Confirm in Disk Management that there is no drive letter.
    Confirm Mount.JPG
    Use Disk management to mount the partition.
    EstMountPoint.JPG
    This is how it looks in File Explorer
    IE MountPoint.JPG

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    It works! Even in XP. Amazing the things you just don't notice, or did I forget ?
    David

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast