5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vosteran; a rant.

Spent the better part of 3 hours getting rid of this hijacker and it's aftermath when Chrome mucked up after it got installed then removed. What a pain. It came packaged with an Open Source PDF printer distiller (to fustrated to look up the name) from Sourceforge. I did finally both get rid of the mal-ware and got Chrome to work right once again (after un-installing and installing several times then finally using Revo to remove all traces and then ran several different anti-virus programs to finish off Vosteran). What a pain; angered I am. Open source should mean open source. It apparently don't anymore. Sad.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Please let us know what it came bundled with. Forewarned is forearmed.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A friend of mine needed a way to create PDF files (he's doing contract work; he's retired and not that computer savvy at all and to the life of me, why is he doing contract work at 67 and he doesn't need the money either; lol). Anyway, I could have installed OpenOffice but then he would have to learn yet another word processor and it was bad enough showing him how to use Works (came with his Vista machine; lol). I, instead, went to Source forge and did a search for PDF printer and found PDF Creator. It works great, but during the install process, I didn't check in time to not install some of the extra goodies which also included Opera Browser which is what I actually suspect messed up Chrome as well as Vosteran. I had to do some sleuthing but got rid of Vosteran (Note; I've been out of loop since 2010; never really heard of this hijaaker). Wouldn't call it fun, but at least it was able to be excised unlike viruses like Vundo. Still, getting Chrome to work again was way convoluted and I still don't know exactly what I did to finally get it to work again. lol

Lucky for me, Vosteran did not mess with IE9 (again, he has Vista and IE9 is the highest level Microsoft Browser that will work in Vista; it was really slow when I mentioned to him Chrome a few months back and he really likes Chrome now). Not sure why, but IE9 was very quick when I was helping him through this issue; must have been another pushed update that fixed that since I last visited him. lol

I now will file this one under no good deed goes unpunished. lol

He did take me out to Cracker Barrel though.

Thanks
    Two lessons to learn here:
    1. Always check here for recommended utilities, don't just use an internet search.
    2. Always read the "fine print" when installing ANY software but especially free stuff and never let something install when you don't know what it is.

As a rule "Open Source" is not secure unless you are using one of the sanctioned sites like "SourceForge."
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did use SourceForge Russ; see my link. The malware was packaged with the program from their link. I was told this on some GIMP forums a while back; indeed, GIMP.org stopped using Sourceforge for a little while using GIT instead. Still, I'm angered by this; I do understand that folk are trying to find money where they can, but this one's rediculous. I did have the option to not install this program, but again, I made the newbie error of ignoring the boxes (my mistake, but still, this one should not have been in the offering in the first place). In the end, the printer distiller still worked and I got rid of both Vosteran and Opera as well as got Chrome working once again. Painful lesson. lol

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another acquaintance (82 year old lady) got hit with this one too. This time, MalwareBytes alone was able to get rid of it and it only took me a total of an hour and a half (did some additional checks/scans and such) to do so. It didn't, at least, mess IE up but she told me could I help her since she could hardly use the browser without getting popups and having to close them. Not sure why this one's still categorized as a pup, but and not mal-ware, but, I suppose it's because it doesn't do anything but pop ads in front of you. Oh well; still wanted to spiel. Though I told her I wouldn't take anything for my time, she gave me a Chick-fil-A (know her since I regular do mall walking so I eat quite often at Chick-fil-A afterwards) a few days later since she knows I like it so. lol