Thanks

No sound and I am baffled

I wanted to set up a clean install, so, I backed up my system, and then restored the base Windows setup. But now (this time) I have no sound through the speakers, only through the laptop speaker. When I went back to my backup, it worked (works) fine, so the hardware is OK. What driver / setting am I missing that I need in order to connect the speakers into a basic Windows install? I've set up Windows several times but never had this issue.

What do I need to do when I have the install with the working sound running that I can then transfer to the "plain vanilla" install?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Last edited by CWBillow; 2015-01-22 at 21:03. Reason: Wrong title
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    You need a driver for your onboard sound. Most likely you can find it at the laptop manufacturer's web site under Support or Downloads or something similar.

Since the laptop speakers are working, it may be a USB driver that you need, if your speakers are USB. If you're connecting the speakers through an earphone plug, then it might be the motherboard driver.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-01-22 at 22:29.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    You need a driver for your onboard sound. Most likely you can find it at the laptop manufacturer's web site under Support or Downloads or something similar.

Since the laptop speakers are working, it may be a USB driver that you need, if your speakers are USB. If you're connecting the speakers through an earphone plug, then it might be the motherboard driver.
    They're not USB...they're the "old" speaker plug-ins. The earphones are working as well, and the speakers themselves are working with the "old" install, so it is for sure a driver, but I don't know where / what or how to fix same.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Check out the settings in the Control Panel\Sound dialog.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are you plugging the speakers in to the same place as the earphones? If so they should work.
    Do you get any sound when the speakers are plugged in?
    When you plug speakers / headphones in, you should get a pop up asking which audio output to use. Have you seen the pop up?

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Earphones work but speakers (using the same jack) don't? Maybe the speakers are not getting power.

Thanks
    That could do it.

Thanks,
    Chuck