Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

How to obtain a win 8.1 iso (legally) to upgrade another PC

I have a dying PC running win 8.1 (previously win 8 before that win7) 64 bit. I do have the windows key but do not have anything on dvd or usb. Here's what I would like to do. I have obtained another pc that is running win7 and I would like to use my legal copy of 8.1 and use it to upgrade the "new" pc. I don't want to clone my existing disk so I thought if I had access to a win 8.1 iso I could burn to a dvd and use that along with my windows 8.1 key to upgrade. I do remember that when I upgraded from win7 to win8 I paid some sort of fee (I think it was around $40) but upgrading to win8.1 was free. I do still have a win8 dvd that I burned if I need to take that step first. Any one have any advise?
    Thanks
    Charlie

Thanks
    I'm not aware of an 8.1 ISO (which doesn't mean that there isn't an official ISO available; I just don't know about it). You can definitely go the route of upgrading to Windows 8, since you have the DVD, and the upgrade is retail, so it is portable.

Once you get it upgraded to Windows 8 and everything sorted out, you can then get 8.1 through the Store. If someone knows of an 8.1 ISO, maybe they'll jump in with a link.

Edit>>>I did find this link.<<<
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-01-22 at 22:36. Reason: update
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Browni (2015-01-27)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much. I'm d/l the iso now.

Thanks
    The official download:-http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Thanks
    I dove in a little deeper, and decided to update my Windows 8 installation USB to Windows 8.1. The article references a Microsoft website that does all the work (the same web site provided by Calimanco).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media

One can't simply (immediately) download an ISO from that web site, but the instructions there are quite straightforward (the article I linked in post #2 has screenshots). It allows for creation of DVD or USB installation media, or downloading an ISO file, but one must follow the steps. First, one must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group in order for the tool to work. The DVD or USB must have at least 4GB available drive space. The instructions are to insert a DVD disc or USB drive, and click "Create media". On the next screen are dropdowns for language, Windows 8 edition, and architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).

Once those selections are made, the next screen asks for a decision for USB or ISO. I chose USB, and clicked "Run" on the Actions bar at the bottom of IE 11. One can click "Run" or "Save" or use the dropdown and select "Save as", but the tool must run live online. The media creation tool can be saved for later use, but it still will connect to the site to do its work.

The file(s) are downloading and the USB is being created as I type this. It's a big download, so it takes a while. The faster one's broadband connection, the less time it will take. But it does allow for continued use of the PC while all this takes place in the background. It reminds me of the original $40 offer for Windows 8 Pro upgrade in the way it runs.

I'll update this thread with my results.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You may also want to bookmark http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-re...-installation/ should you ever need to perform a repair install of Win 8.1.

Thanks
    The media creation tool works as advertised. I now have a bootable Windows 8.1 USB thumb drive. Bear in mind that this is a retail upgrade, not a full installation, and a valid Product Key must be used for an installation.

What Next.PNG

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You may also want to bookmark http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-re...-installation/ should you ever need to perform a repair install of Win 8.1.
    That tut appears to be quite outdated. I tried an "unsupervised" (meaning I didn't follow any guide, just played it by ear) repair/reinstall of my 8.1, my Product Key was unnecessary, and I didn't get a license acceptance screen.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    One more thing—the ISO being offered by Microsoft appears to be Windows 8.1 Update.

Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    That tut appears to be quite outdated. I tried an "unsupervised" (meaning I didn't follow any guide, just played it by ear) repair/reinstall of my 8.1, my Product Key was unnecessary, and I didn't get a license acceptance screen.
    This one was modified on the 7th of this month and still mentions the product key, but not needing it can only be a bonus.

https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructi...8-and-8-1.html

On checking, the previous one I'd posted is dated Nov. 2013.

Thanks
    It gets curiouser and curiouser. The first time through, I didn't get asked for a Product Key. I took several screenshots, but didn't number them, and then I wasn't sure of the order in which they appeared. So I decided to go back through it again, and the second time, I was asked for a Product Key. I aborted that one.

I had created a fresh drive image before trying the repair/reinstall, so I've restored that, and I'm going to go through it again, to see what's going on here.

I've got before and after Belarc Advisor profiles, and I'll scan them to see what I can find. One thing of note, and this bears some close attention I would surmise. The stored Product Key retrieved by Belarc Advisor is not my Windows 8 key, but my Media Center Pack Product Key. I then tried Magical Jelly Bean and got the same result—the Media Center Pack Product Key.

It took about 20-25 minutes the first time—I'm at again.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I had to come up with a workaround to get the Media Center Pack to install, lots of updates, and two user accounts to get brought up to speed, but it appears to be a done deal. I'm going to run Belarc Advisor on it, and compare that to the "before", but so far just the Media Center and StartIsBack+ were the only MIA's. I'll put something together, perhaps tomorrow, on both the 8.1 ISO and the Repair/Reinstall.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    One more thing—the ISO being offered by Microsoft appears to be Windows 8.1 Update.
    After some other Lounge member posted a link to the Win8.1 ISO download a few weeks ago I downloaded the four ISOs to DVDs (i.e.: Win8.1 x86, Win8.1 x64, Win8.1 Pro x86, and Win8.1 Pro x64). Earlier this week I needed to upgrade a customer's Win8 x64 laptop to 8.1 so inserted the Win8.1 x64 DVD and was able to upgrade Win8 to 8.1 (no hassles re "product key" or anything else - it just did the job). So the ISOs do seem to include the 8.1 update (<>800MB).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I had to come up with a workaround to get the Media Center Pack to install, lots of updates, and two user accounts to get brought up to speed, but it appears to be a done deal. I'm going to run Belarc Advisor on it, and compare that to the "before", but so far just the Media Center and StartIsBack+ were the only MIA's. I'll put something together, perhaps tomorrow, on both the 8.1 ISO and the Repair/Reinstall.
    In the first tutorial I'd linked it gave http://www.intowindows.com/windows-8...ct-key-viewer/ as a sub link for finding the product key, perhaps these may give you your product key.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    In the first tutorial I'd linked it gave http://www.intowindows.com/windows-8...ct-key-viewer/ as a sub link for finding the product key, perhaps these may give you your product key.
    As stated in my #13 post there should be no need to fret about the Win8 product key when upgrading from Win8 to 8.1.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-01-24 at 05:52.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast