New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem restoring Win 7 System Image from hard drive

Running Win7 Ultimate. I have successfully restored a system image back up from my external hard drive in
    the past. Today after beginning the process I ran into a window after clicking on 'from a back up I previously saved"
    or something like that and a window popped up stating something to the affect 'do you want to back up your files?'
    AND if I skip that choice, I might lose my files. First time this message has appeared. It's like this step is preventing me from
    recovering the system image from the hard drive. The System Image is the only back up I use since it only takes about
    20-30 minutes to recover every thing, so I don't want to save data anywhere else. Is there a way around this wall and will I
    really lose file if I click SKIP? Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When I restore from my external HDD I have to use "the one I made earlier" option from the Recovery Environment via F8/Repair your Computer, but it sounds like you are doing this from within Windows ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dh3326 View Post
    ... and a window popped up stating something to the affect 'do you want to back up your files?' AND if I skip that choice, I might lose my files.
    Why not accept its advice and back up your files? It is trying to save your bacon (well, data files): the image contains only what was on the PC when it was made, and anything you have created since will (likely) disappear. Let it back up your files (you may get to choose where), then do the image restore. Check if any data files you care about are missing, and if so try to restore them from the backup.

You are encountering the main drawback with imaging - you only get back what you put in. That is why many Windows users keep data files on a separate partition from the OS, so they don't get over-written during image restore. Let us know if you want to understand more than my brief outline contains.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2015-01-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    'Scuse me for butting in, I personally like and use Macrium Reflect and make a total system image once a week or so. This has 'saved my bacon' quite a few times when a nasty invades my system. Macrium is free (you can pay for a pro version, but the free one works just fine) and it only takes about a half hour and is well worth the time.
    Last edited by shadow35; 2015-01-25 at 11:39.

Thanks
    Today after beginning the process I ran into a window after clicking on 'from a back up I previously saved"
    or something like that and a window popped up stating something to the affect 'do you want to back up your files?'
    AND if I skip that choice, I might lose my files. First time this message has appeared. It's like this step is preventing me from
    recovering the system image from the hard drive.
    Are you using Windows 7 default backup and restore?
    It sounds to me like it's warning you that you are going to loose the data on the drive you
    are attempting to restore the image on.
    Obviously you are going to loose that data, it's the whole point.

I always restore images from a bootable disk, never from within the OS itself.
    Try that and see if the syntax in the message is any different.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    The above is exactly why I have two partitions, OS on C, everything downloaded and/or created on D. Each partition is separately backed up onto two external HDs.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/