Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Webpage(s) are NOT responding

What might be causing this problem?

Suddenly I got this message at the bottom of my screen, that 'google.com is not responding', and my laptop just sort of freezes up.

Then just after that I sought to put this posting on this forum, and it freezes up again with the message that 'windowssecrets.com is not responding'

I've actually had this sporadic occurrence many times over the few weeks. And I was visiting a friends house a few miles from me, and he had it happen to him once. I ask if he had ever seen this before and he replied, no.

I don't think it has anything to do with connection speed as his is 10 times greater than mine,....but they are both that wonderful monopoly Comcast

Thanks
    Which browser are you using?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It could be a very busy time on the internet, or a problem with a router on the internet. If the problem resolves itself after a couple of hours it is likely to be an internet issue.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing I always check is in Control Panel, Internet Connections [or Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options] and the Connections tab then the LAN settings. Unless otherwise needed by the ISP/Internet Service Provider the first item about Automatically detect....... should be the only thing with a checkmark. If the Proxy section has any item checked and the ISP hasn't specified anything it could be an infection of some sort has messed it up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

dsomerv (2015-02-19)

Thanks
    I would temporarily disable any third party firewalls. You might also want to try a different browser.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could try hitting Refresh but when it becomes annoying, resetting IE to defaults will sort out any add-on problems - but I normally start with these commands from an admin command prompt, although it could just as easily be the reboot that sorts it.

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Then reboot.

Going Tools - Internet options and under the Content tab, Clear SSL state.

Under Advanced scroll down to Security and ensure that Use SSL 2.0 and 3.0 are unchecked and that Use TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 are checked and in extreme circumstances, switch the router off for a minute or so.

When you reset IE, Use SSL 3.0 is default checked so that will need to be unchecked and the TLS will need to be re-checked.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-01-23 at 18:53.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Which browser are you using?
    I'm primarily using IE as it is the one I am most familiar with, and the favorites set-up etc. I just tried to look up which version, but I am finding it hard to find?
    It came on the laptop (Acer) when I bought it, and it is running Win7, home edition, 64 bit.

The only firewall I have (to my knowledge) is the sign-in password I have set up and use each time I sign on.

I have tried using Firefox at times, but if I remember correctly I experienced some problems there as well,...(sorry I'm trying to remember these numerous events).

This 'not responding' event seems kind of erratic, and less likely to happen as I go along in a session of usage.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Click on Tools - About Internet Explorer and it will tell you which version you are using.

As the problem is across browsers, try those netsh commands, rebooting or even switching off the router.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Click on Tools - About Internet Explorer and it will tell you which version you are using.
    Sorry, still did not find such a reference under 'tools' ??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In mine it is the option directly below Internet options when clicking on the Tools cog.

I'm using IE 10 but I think it's the same for all versions of IE if I remember correctly.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    With the changes of showing/not showing toolbars I find it easier to go to the Control Panel then Internet Options.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't have an option 'below internet options'

And I tried going to the 'control panel, internet options', and could not find it there, either??

I even right-clicked on 'properties' and did not find it there?

Why should it be so difficult to find what version is running on one's computer??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are two other places you can check for your version, but I don't know why you haven't got About Internet Explorer in Tools.

The first one is to go Programs and Features then click on Turn Windows features on or off in the left pane.

Next to the box for IE it should give its version when you have updated from the base version.

The other is in Installed Updates - scroll down until you see the update for IE as all versions up from the base version are installed as Windows Updates.

Knowing which version you are running doesn't fix your problem though.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    There are two other places you can check for your version, but I don't know why you haven't got About Internet Explorer in Tools.
    It's not there.

The first one is to go Programs and Features then click on Turn Windows features on or off in the left pane.

Next to the box for IE it should give its version when you have updated from the base version.
    Okay did that, and I see I have IE-11

Knowing which version you are running doesn't fix your problem though.
    I guess,...I don't know.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally got fed up with IE and started using Firefox,....much more pleasurable so far.

(I also read somewhere that Microsoft was going to stop supporting IE ??)....just another reason to get away from this erratic company

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast