New Lounger
    Thanks

Checking ISP Speeds

Recently one of the large wireless carriers was cited for gaming subscriber attempts to verify data speeds on its network. In essence, when it detected a user going to one of the popular speed check websites (like Speedtest.net), the transmission would be sent at the highest speed available even if the user's ordinary data transfers were being throttled back.

I am wondering if my cable ISP is doing something similar. In earlier days when my Internet seemed to slow down (usually when the kids got home from school or on Saturday nights), a check at a speed check website would confirm what I was experiencing. But lately, no more. My data download could be crawling or my You Tube video sputtering, but the speed check website always shows my promised 15Mbps.

Are I being paranoid or technically befuddled? Or could there be some justification to my suspicions?

Thanks
    You could be right. I believe that, behind the scenes, there are often things like this going on that we are not aware of. By relating your observations, perhaps others will notice that the same thing has been happening with them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    See what Netalyzr says for your WiFi connection - requires Java. http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

It isn't a speed test site but does check your speed among other things.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

beiland (2015-02-13),PhotoSci (2015-01-23)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been wondering some similar thoughts. I recently signed up for Comcast (internet only), and found that my speed is consistently below what I was offered as a new member in my new neighborhood. I am being 'throttled down' to the bare economy rate/speed of about 3.61 mbps when I signed up for 6-12mbps for the first 12 months of service. On top of that I am being charged 29.99 per month, verses the offer of 19.99 per month !!

Almost every time I run a speed test thru their Xfinity speed test site I get this consistent 3.61 speed,...regardless of busy times or whatever.

And there are times that I swear I am getting a much lower connection speed, but when I check it, sure enough its 3.61.
    I'm beginning to think there is something wrong here,...just not being told the truth??....would Comcast really do something like this

Brian

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    See what Netalyzr says for your WiFi connection - requires Java. http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

It isn't a speed test site but does check your speed among other things.
    Interesting site and analysis results,...even while I don't understand nearly all of them

I did get a speed result of 3.5 from that analysis.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    Interesting site and analysis results,...even while I don't understand nearly all of them

I did get a speed result of 3.5 from that analysis.
    Wonder if PhotoSci used it.

Netalyzr usually gives my speed a little lower than www.speedtest.net but is comparable with my ISP's speed tester and I get whatever survives the distance coming down the line on ADSL.

If you are paying for a higher speed and are not getting it (confirmed by two speed test sites), you should complain to your ISP, but broadband goes through a training period of about 10 days before the Line Management settles on your speed - are you still within that training period in which you shouldn't switch the modem/router off.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-13 at 17:32.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you ever had any dealings with Comcast? I would not wish that on my worst enemies. They are a country wide Monopoly, and act accordingly,...with the politicians and the courts in their back pocket.

I only wish they had true competitors that could bring some sanity to this internet access situation.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    No, I'm in the UK with TalkTalk as my ISP.

How long has your connection been active ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    2.5 months. I have placed a number of calls to them, and each time I am informed it will be straighten out, then each time nothing changes. I even placed up my papers and drove 40 miles to their 'regional office', only to find only two young ladies there that had no decision making, they were just payment takers. I ask for a larger city regional office where I might talk to a supervisor, only to be told there was not one. Seems they ONLY want to communicate by way of phone calls to what amounts to 'offshore' support personnel. No way to write them.

Long story short, extremely frustrating...
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5120383.html

....or just google "comcast forum complaints"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It looks like you have a choice of ISPs in Thailand http://www.thaiwebsites.com/isp.asp - why not give some of those a call to see what they have to offer and then contact Comcast that either they sort your speed out or you will be changing ISPs.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It looks like you have a choice of ISPs in Thailand
    Not sure what you are saying here? The problem I am having is in St Augustine Florida, USA, ....not at my Thai address.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    Not sure what you are saying here? The problem I am having is in St Augustine Florida, USA, ....not at my Thai address.
    When I was Googling I came across St Augustine Florida but there's also a St Augustine Thailand as per your Location - guess I assumed St Augustine was an area off Thailand.

Anyway, according to this article you do have a choice other than Comcast http://www.superpages.com/yellowpage...int+Augustine/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    SpeedTest.net is the go-to choice, but i too read that ISPs optimize the connection to that and other bandwidth testing services. You can do performance testing with traceroute and see how/if performance fluctuates to different sites?