Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Windows 10 build 9926 first impressions

Looks like a step backwards to me. Cortana replaces the search bar and is a whole lot more cluttered that the old search bar which was a bit to cluttered for me but I got used to it. I just use keyboard input, not voice. I have no desire to talk to my desktop or laptop.

The start button is another step backwards to me. Its almost a small version of the Start Screen, not as neatly organized as the last build. I suspect I'll be downloading Classic Shell after they support Windows 10. Until then, I'll see if it grows on me.

Jerry

Thanks
    One thing in the new build I like is that the icons on the task bar associated with actively running programs are now underlined. Makes it much easier to distinguish actively running programs from pinned programs.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I updated an i7 PC yesterday, it took just under 1 hour. Today I updated a server that I get to play with for 2 months, it only took 40 minutes. I have a 50 MB cable download speed and the server is fast PC.
    Yes MS replaced the Search ICON with the Cortana application. Because I had no previous knowledge of it I took the time to read the writeup. It should come as no surprise. MS has just put the biggest spyware software into Windows. You can turn the feature off and not use it. The amount of data and the sharing of that data will not meet the requirements of a huge number of businesses, like Heath/Medical records, banking, government and military. I think that I will turn it on as long as I'm beta testing, will not use it after I go live.

Ron

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello. My first impression was scary. The green small ring kept going around and around. After 6 hours, I killed the machine. Restarted and then it installed, that was quite a decision on my part, would I loose the whole machine ?
    Note to Jerry, the printer is seen ( Network ). The French keyboard was kept, hurrah !

Now to go and learn it anew. First thing first, I did a restore point.

As Ron wrote, I do not think that I will validate Cortana. I see my daughter speaking to her smart phone all the time and it gives me the creeps. Oh well, am I being overtaken by technology ?
    Have fun, I am. Jean.

W-10.jpg
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-01-24 at 21:40.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello.
    Second impression ! Great. I get used to it quite simply and quick. It kept my folder called O2K and I was able to install Word and Excel 2000 both, just now. Beside keeping the printers live, the LAN also was a no brainer, all is cricket, I just printed from this machine to the other on the Laser 6L that is on the other machine. I am so used to O2K that keeping it is great, for me !

Now a question. See this .jpg :

0Screen.jpg

As I do not have a touch screen and I am a mouse expert, I removed all the tiles on the Start screen. Is there a way to now reduce the size of the "blue" square so that it would not be too obstructive ? Is there also a way to see all apps as before, full screen, instead of the vertical way that is now presented ? I know, this is a "me" desire. Have a nice 9926 day. Jean.

Thanks
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah ! On the previous Start menu now. I just clicked on the top option and let it run. Voilà ! Thanks to Shawn and Drew. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It was interesting, I was downloading the .iso file and while at church Win10 automatically updated itself to build 9926. Of course it broke the download but now I don't need it for 64-bit, might get it for 32-bit.

At first impression I may pass on Cortana but since I eventually will need to know about it will leave it alone.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Yeah ! On the previous Start menu now. I just clicked on the top option and let it run. Voilà ! Thanks to Shawn and Drew. Jean.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Now, that I reverted the ridiculous 9926 Start menu I can speak happily. I was expecting, something substantial from 9879 to 9926; I knew it was probably going to be. I was not disappointed (well except for the fool Start menu, LOL). Immediately, although, I know they are, still working on this stuff, it was obvious it was 'prettier'. Home changed to Quick Access. Many Store APPs (Alarms for 1) have been greatly enhanced. A small bit more done to the Action Ctr. Greater consistency & refinement in the appearance of icons & folders. At the onset I started to see things that had be rectified since 9879.... I have a row of Links icons on the Taskbar. Many of them were generic pages instead of their proper icons... 9926, they all display properly. The Music APP that would stop playing if minimised or if one changed Desktop, now, works properly. And, yes, Jerry, the Active underlines are nice. As for Cortana, as an IT pro, I'll have to learn/know about it. Not, really driven to using it for myself. But, right now, doesn't work in Canada, anyway ( I know I could tell the OS I'm in the US ) PLUS, it was out of the picture when I switched Start menus (teehee). And really the only time I talk to a computer is cus I'm frustrated w/ it or mad @ it or want something to hurry up... seriously, just kidding. I keep thinking of a room of family members in their house all yelling @ their respective devices OR a big office, sea of desks & computers & employees all yelling @ their machines, RLMFAO!!

If only Orwell could see us now, LOL

Anyway, I digress. There are, still, 2 little things amiss... netplwiz does nothing, have to resize the Taskbar after a reboot. But, overall, everything works very nicely. What I'm anxious for is Spartan.

And I, also, don't think that Action Ctr is fully developed, yet, @ all. That could be made into a really cool 'hub'; I want to see what comes of that anon, too. I do wonder if ppl are noticing the buttons @ the bottom... another way or place to access various things; things that used to be in the Charms Bar, which, BTW, is completely gone, now, w/ 9926.

I do find, noticed this w/in moments, that 9926 is 'snappier'. Definitely seems to do everything faster, both surfing & internal functions.

Fundamentally, I am quite pleased w/ 9926 & it is, certainly, good, solid, progress from 9879.

This is the 4th OS I have beta tested. I must say, again, after what we went through w/ Build after Build to having New Builds pushed out the way they are, now, feels like died & went to heaven, SOOOoooo nice! Reminds of Zero-Touch deployment. Nice name but, it's not actually exactly no touch but, this is damn near. Also, from the 'old days' to, now, having whole Operating Systems installing in such short periods of time. Impressive & SO nice. We've come a long way, Baby!

I'm not sure I get the point of expanding the Start menu to full screen but, just cus it made me so happy, thought I'd toss in a picture of MY 9926 Start menu (as opposed to Microsoft's) (haha) Hint: it's the little thing in the corner, lol.

SM.JPG

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-01-25 at 23:02.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another unexpected thing happened on my new install of Windows 10 TP.
    First about the 2 systems. The one I have been using for the past month is a quad core i7 3.1 GHZ, 12 GB memory, a fast hard drive and a very good video card.
    The second, is a Server box, a XEON quad core 3.4 GHZ, 16 GB memory. fast hard drive, add a USB Sound Blaster device for sound and a medium video card, also have a touch screen monitor. Windows 10 is the only thing installed on either system. I do use the same MS LIVE log in on each system.
    First I upgraded the Desktop to 9926 and the next day I upgraded the server box. After the upgrade I saw that the server box was now using the same windows Theme (desktop back ground) as the i7 desktop. It is a theme that I downloaded on the i7 desktop but not the serve. I took a closer look and found apps that I had installed on the i7 desktop were now installed on the server box.

Think maybe Microsoft is getting too much information without asking for it? Looks a lot like the way Apple dose things.
    Last edited by RonB-TX; 2015-01-25 at 23:37. Reason: Left out a comment

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ron,

Allow me to explain. Some think, like me that this is very cool. Some seem to treat it or view it as some terrible, nasty, big-bother thing, which, of course, is not the motivation, @ all.

It relates to the perverbial question, "Why a Microsoft Account". I'll readily admit I'm one of those who appreciates the meaning of a MS Account. I run a Windows OS w/ a MS Account. It was SO nice when I first installed Win10 & Logged in w/ my MS Acc't that, wham, bam, thank you Maam, the brand new OS just installed, w/out doing any heavy lifting was 'ME' & mine... heaps of what is my (other OS) had come to exist in this machine, as well. It made the amount of time & work of the past to achieve this into a bad joke. It was wonderful to be able to just jump in w/ both feet & start working w/out having to mess w/ a whole pile of stuff & actions to have the new build as comfy & familiar as ever. Plus, I could go from one machine to the other & have continuity & consistency w/out any fussing about or effort or have it or them that way. Almost like out-of-the-box all just like home.

What you experienced is the beauty & value of a Microsoft Account. It's one's passport to carrying themselves from device to device. It not too much info, in any negative sense. It's just the right amount. It's just all that's 'YOU' and, truly, none of what is YOU should be missed.

I just smiled when I saw it happen... even, though I knew it would. It's one of the things my MS Acc't does for me. Have no problem w/ something that makes things better & nicer for me, it's, certainly, to my benifit for my MS Acc't to be so helpful (to me & for me).

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-01-26 at 01:47.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew,

To each their own.
    After 50 plus years in this business I think I fully understand what is happening, both the good and bad.
    When I was working on main frames, quite often we solved our problem on a coffee break.
    I kind of look at this windows secrets as the new coffee break. Most of the time your find really good information and sometimes what is written is of little value but to a few. I try not to take anything to personal.

And the sheep are lead by the wolf.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonB-TX View Post
    ...And the sheep are lead by the wolf.
    Woof, woof.

Have to agree with you there. M$ account? No way.
    Last edited by Coochin; 2015-01-26 at 19:45.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    netplwiz does nothing, have to resize the Taskbar after a reboot.
    Something is amiss on your installs. Netplwiz works fine on my box (boot without having to enter password) and task bar size sticks between boots.

Jerry

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast