4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Build 9926

I installed Windows 10 Build 9926 last night. I installed it on a Dell Optiplex 755 with a Core 2 Quad processor.

• I started with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,
    • Used a DVD to upgrade that to Windows 10 Developers Preview
    • Used Windows Update to upgrade that to Build 9879
    • Then Settings -> Update & Recovery -> Preview Builds -> Check Now, and installed it.

Windows 10 Build 9926 itself is nicer looking than the Developers Preview, which frankly was pretty ugly, but the Internet Explorer still has the ugly Metro look. I hope they will fix that.

All the programs that I had installed in Windows 7 have been kept in Windows 10. I didn't have that much installed, 7-Zip Chocolatey, Irfanview, and Microsoft Garage Mouse without Borders, but it's all there. I should have installed Microsoft office on Windows 7, particularly an older one like 2007, to see what it would have done with that, but I didn't think of it.

I deleted a bunch of Metro App Tiles from the start menu, but the start menu didn't re-size. It's the same size it was with blank space.

As a test, I clicked on the Calendar Tile. It went to a log-in page that said "Switch to a Microsoft account on this PC", so it failed the test.

Then just to be sure, I clicked on the Weather Tile. It wanted my permission to find my location, but I clicked on Block, and put in Killington, VT, and it gave me the current Weather, 21 degrees Fahrenheit, and Flurries, so to my surprise, it passed. In addition, it shows a trail map. I didn't expect that. It also has a blurb about the Killington Ski Resort, but I was a lot more impressed by the trail map.

The Search Tile brings up an app that says "I'm Cortana, your Super Assistant. (No cape required)" It says more, but as is common with Microsoft popups, you can't copy the text, and paste it somewhere else, so if you want to see what it says, you will have to install Windows 10 and see for yourself. And you have to log in to a Microsoft account to use it, so it fails.

Skype is now a default app, but of course you have to log in to a Microsoft account to use it, so it fails, but when you click Cancel, it doesn't cancel it, it just redisplays the "Switch to a Microsoft account on this PC" page every time you click on cancel. Mega fail. I moused over the Skype box in the Task Bar and clicked on the red x in the top right corner of that, and that killed it.

I clicked on Maps, and it popped up a message that said "Can Windows Maps use your location?", I clicked on Block, and it popped up a message that said "We can't tell where you are right now" with the only option Close. They should have asked the location I wanted to see a map of. Demanding to know where I am is invasive. Fail. After pissing me off, it did let me zoom in on the map, and switch to an "Aerial" view.

Not surprisingly, windows Feedback popsup a "Switch to a Microsoft account on this PC" page. But unlike the Skype page, when you click Cancel, it cancels it.

When I looked at the Metro style Tiles on the start menu just now, I noticed that the Weather Tile no longer says "Weather", it now shows the current weather for Killington, Vt. I thought they dropped the live tiles, but I guess I haven't been keeping up.

I clicked on the Inside Hub Tile and got the "Switch to a Microsoft account on this PC" page. When I clicked Cancel, it cycled back to the "Switch to a Microsoft account on this PC" page, but when I clicked on Cancel again, it canceled. Peculiar.

When I clicked on the News Tile, I got MSN News. When I clicked on the x in the top right corner, it closed. Pass

When I clicked on the MSN Food & Drink Tile it opened. When I clicked on the x in the top right corner, it closed. Pass

When I looked at the MSN Food & Drink Tile it had become a live tile, and was showing an add for Polenta Mini Pizzas. I understand that adds pay for the service, but should Microsoft put them on the Start Menu?

I will leave the others as an exercise for the student.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I open the Task Bar and Properties Menu Page, and select the Start Menu Tab, the Customize button is grayed out.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you move a post, don't you think you should say where you moved it to and Why?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's no Developers Preview; they're all Technical Preview.

As a Microsoft Account is a "requirement", why not use one?

I continue to be amazed at the weird resistance by some to using a Microsoft account for sign-in, since this provides such a huge advantage with regards to settings sync, OneDrive integration, Windows Store application access, Xbox-based music and gaming subscription services, and more.
    Windows Technical Preview Install Guide

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    When you move a post, don't you think you should say where you moved it to and Why?
    You do get told where, by means of a link:

MovedThreads.png

Isn't why rather obvious?
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-01-24 at 12:46. Reason: forgot crop

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have no interest in any of "OneDrive integration, Windows Store application access, Xbox-based music and gaming subscription services." My problem is a persistent pop up in 9926 asking me to "Get started" with onedrive. Is there any way of shutting off this annoyance?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petermat View Post
    I have no interest in any of "OneDrive integration, Windows Store application access, Xbox-based music and gaming subscription services." My problem is a persistent pop up in 9926 asking me to "Get started" with onedrive. Is there any way of shutting off this annoyance?
    Try right clicking on the Cloud Onedrive icon in the System Tray and click on settings
    Untick the box next to "Start Onedrive automatically..."
    Untick the box next to "Let me use Onedrive to fetch....."
    Click OK

Jerry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

petermat (2015-02-05)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Try right clicking on the Cloud Onedrive icon in the System Tray and click on settings
    Untick the box next to "Start Onedrive automatically..."
    Untick the box next to "Let me use Onedrive to fetch....."
    Click OK

Jerry
    Jerry,
    Thanks and that would work - but the softies stopped us.
    "Let me use Onedrive to fetch....." is already unchecked - OK, but -
    "Start Onedrive automatically..." is ticked and greyed out - cannot be changed.
    Likewise "Unlink OneDrive" and "Choose folders" are greyed out

Thanks
    They are not grayed out in my installation. Are you using a local account sign in as opposed to a Microsoft Account? Do you have a Microsoft account you could temporarily sign into?

Jerry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

petermat (2015-02-05)

Thanks
    I stopped OneDrive by doing the following:
    1. Start > enter regedit.
    2. When found, right-click on regedit.exe and choose Run as administrator.
    3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersio n\Run
    (3a. Optional but recommended - Export the Run key.)
    4. Delete the OneDrive entry in the right-hand pane.
    5. Close regedit and re-boot.
    no_onedrive.png
    Click to enlarge

PS - I'm using a local account, not a Microsoft account.

Hope this helps...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

petermat (2015-02-05)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick,
    One note - on my 9926 at least the path is
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
    - and using this to delete onedrive - so far so good.
    Jerry,
    Now you suggest logging on as MS account not local - I really am not sure which I am! I suspect MS account since my eddress appears on the log on page, but I am not sure if that is conclusive? If not, how do I tell?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petermat
    One note - on my 9926 at least the path is
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
    Just the crazy way the forum's bulletin board software formats long strings...

PS - It's not deleting OneDrive, just stopping it from running automatically at startup. Glad it worked for you.

Thanks
    Now you suggest logging on as MS account not local - I really am not sure which I am! I suspect MS account since my eddress appears on the log on page, but I am not sure if that is conclusive? If not, how do I tell?
    Click on
    Notifications Icon in the System Tray > All Settings > Accounts
    If it lists an email address with a Disconnect link below, you are logged in with a Microsoft Account.

Rick has given you a workable solution so it's a moot point.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Just the crazy way the forum's bulletin board software formats long strings...
    No, you left out Windows.