Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading to Windows 10 Build 9926

Has anyone upgraded Windows 8 or 8.1 to Windows 10 Build 9926? If you did, how did it go? Did all of your installed programs transfer? Particularly the paid for ones. I started with Windows 7, and all of my installed programs transferred to Windows 10 Build 9926, but I only had free ones installed.

What was your upgrade path? Did you have to upgrade Windows 8/8.1 to Windows 10 Developer Preview, and then upgrade that to Build 9926, or is their some way to install Build 9926 from Windows 8/8.1.

What do you think of Windows 10 so far?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    What was your upgrade path? Did you have to upgrade Windows 8/8.1 to Windows 10 Developer Preview, and then upgrade that to Build 9926, or is their some way to install Build 9926 from Windows 8/8.1.
    There's no Developer Preview, but ISOs are available for Build 9926 of the Technical Preview:

Download Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Unless you have spare boxes available, really do not recommend replacing current OSs w/ betas. Should not do that until the GA.

Betas should, ideally, be:
    On a spare box
    VMs
    VHDs
    Dual-boots

Should not replace the current OS on a "production machine". Not a "Best Practice".

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and most of my programs survived the 'upgrade'. One that didn't was Taskbar Tweaker, but I didn't use it for much, only a few cosmetic changes like adding seconds to the time display,
    What I am having trouble with is the right click functions on start. I have no access to control panel or to administrative functions, and wonder if this may be because I had Start is Back on the 8.1 setup. I may reload my image of 8.1 and remove these before upgrading again.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Alex,

Did you go from 8.1 to a beta Win10 on a spare box or on your regular machine? If the latter, should not have. Aside from that... if you are talking about the Power Users menu... yes, those 3rd Party start things will impeded it (kill it). Ergo, between doing an in-place Upgrade & having that 3rd Party start thing, you have the current situation.

So, it's up to you. Either take that start thing out of 8.1 & do the in-place, again. OR redo things but, this time don't do an in-place Upgrade w/ a beta OS.

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    Has anyone upgraded Windows 8 or 8.1 to Windows 10 Build 9926? If you did, how did it go? Did all of your installed programs transfer? Particularly the paid for ones. I started with Windows 7, and all of my installed programs transferred to Windows 10 Build 9926, but I only had free ones installed.

What do you think of Windows 10 so far?
    I guess I will ultimately have to try the upgrade on a spare box as Drew recommends. My concern is how will Win10 work with older software. I have a production Cadd program that yet has not updated to work with 8 or 8.1. Is there cause to think I will have a problem if I upgrade to Win10? Just curious. Thanks for any replies.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew,

As I said I reloaded 8.1 from my image, had to adjust the partitions first to get rid of the recovery partition and I reloaded the original MBR as well. I dual boot with W7 and I had to use EBCD to adjust the boot settings.
    I didn't think I needed to go to another PC, I only used 8.1 as a test to play with (and evaluate) and I'm taking the same approach with W10.
    Can't say I'm impressed with either 8.1 or 10, although 10 does show some promise. Think I'll play with this preview for a while but W7 remains my main system.
    I should perhaps add that all my data, including downloads and system images, are on separate drives.

Alex

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Alex,

Sounds like you're ok. Dual boot or anything that is not using the beta to overwrite an existing "production" OS. I'm, really, impressed w/ 10. It's a lot easier to like than 8.1

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Marc,

1st, the compatibility factor w/ Windows 10 is HUGE! Most anything the runs on 7 or 8.1 should run on 10. However, that does not account for any 3rd Parties not being up to speed. If they don't update their products in a timely fashion for current OSs, same as sites for current browsers, an OS cannot make up for that.

Often that's where virtualization can help be a solution.

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg

Thanks
    I always use a spare HDD to clean install a beta OS, if there is an ISO for them. I prefer them over a VM or dualboot. Of those two options I'd go with a dualboot if the HDD has enough space.

VM's, IMHO, should only be used if you have a minimum of a 4 core cpu and 8 gigs of RAM. This is because you have the allocate half or your hardware to the VM so the OS can have a decent chance at running right. If not your VM experience will be dodgy at best. As the Food-lion commercials go...that's just my 2 cents.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I'll just add apenny to Jim's 2 cents...

Yes, spare box IS the most ideal and Dual next; you will see everything , all drives & have access to all hardware & USBs, externa; drives & optical drives. Can be on a drive w/ a enough space to be paritioned or on it's own distinct & physically separate HHD or SSD.

Yes, virtual does go best on a physical machine that is, @ least, a little robust and, if 8.1, that the CPU supports Hyper-V. I have to admit, since Jim mentions it... my own Win10 is a VM and yes, the Host machine is an i7 w/ 8G RAM. Pheeew, I just made the minimum, I guess

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    @Marc,

If you have one or more programs that will not run with Win 8/8.1 they will not run with Win10.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have installed Win 10 builds 9879 and 9926 on Virtualbox.

The Guest Additions worked on build 9879 but not on build 9926 - has anyone else had this problem?
    Is there a solution?
    Are Oracle aware of it?

Thanks

stegra
    Last edited by stegra; 2015-01-30 at 03:32.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    What is the Host OS?

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    What is the Host OS?

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg
    Sorry.

The host OS is Windows 7 64bit. The PC is 3.3GHz i5 with 8Gb of RAM.

Stegra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast