Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Windows Intel update

New to me PC (3 weeks) and no problems with anything.

Dell Inspiron 3000s Intel G1820 Dual 2.7GHz, 4GB RAM, Windows 7, 500GB HDD Desktop Computer

But Windows has an optional update,

" Intel Corporations Graphics adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics adapter WDDM1.2, Graphics adapter WDDM1.3 81.4 MB "

Curious should I update or not

Thanks
    If you are not having any problems with your current display (quality, resolution, settings, etc.) then I would suggest NOT updating.

If however, you ARE experiencing any display problems then yes, go ahead and update the display driver.

Hope this helps...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2015-01-25)

Thanks
    Thank you Rick, that's kinda the program I have done through the years but was interested cause it's 1st PC with Intel. Other PCs have been with Nvidia.

I do like the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude.

Thanks
    On the other hand, these updates contain bug fixes and improvements and are usually worth having..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    On the other hand, these updates contain bug fixes and improvements and are usually worth having..
    Sorry but... that hasn't been my experience with hardware drivers available via Windows Update.

Have a look at this article: Should You Use the Hardware Drivers Windows Provides, or Download Your Manufacturer’s Drivers?
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-01-25 at 11:56.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    NBB,

My advice would be to take an Image Backup (you should have one anyway) and then try the updates and see if they cause any problems.

No problems, create a new image. Problems restore the image and no harm no foul! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Just my 2˘ . . .

I've owned a few Dells, all with Intel-based motherboards, and some updates downloaded directly from Intel will not install on some Dell motherboards. Also, some Windows Updates for Intel hardware will fail to install on Dell's Intel-based hardware. (I use the drive image failsafe, RG). Some of the Dell implementations of Intel hardware are incompatible with both Intel and Windows Updates, and any updates for such hardware must come from Dell directly.

That being said, I don't use Windows driver updates for hardware as a general rule of thumb unless they are for Microsoft hardware, such as keyboards, mice, etc.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I've never had a good outcome from downloading any video drivers from Windows Updates. I always go to the source of the product now. Lesson's learned the hard way, LOL.

Thanks
    That being said, I don't use Windows driver updates for hardware as a general rule of thumb unless they are for Microsoft hardware, such as keyboards, mice, etc.
    Yes indeed, but as I said 1st post I was just curious.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Although the computer is new to you, not all drivers may be up to date and Windows may have detected this with your system - but graphics drivers, unless a computer vendor supplies drivers through WUs, should only be obtained from the computer vendor's site.

You could go to Dell Support and check for any updated drivers, although you don't have to download them but if in doubt, contact Dell Support for advice as the update could have important fixes in it if it has been released by them.

The same would apply if they've released a BIOS update for your model - especially as it's a Win 7 machine.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Although Dell makes a good product, good luck finding any driver updates for a machine older than 1 year. Just my experience.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Sorry but... that hasn't been my experience with hardware drivers available via Windows Update.

Have a look at this article: Should You Use the Hardware Drivers Windows Provides, or Download Your Manufacturer’s Drivers?
    There is one case where I have always had good luck with doing a Windows update -- drivers for an onboard NIC.

If you absolutely don't know which driver to install for your onboard NIC, you can connect a temporary NIC (e.g. a USB NIC), get on the internet, and do a Window hardware update. It will likely offer you a driver for the onboard NIC. The offered driver will likely get your onboard NIC working.

This method has saved me numerous times.

Thanks
    Generally I don't update drivers via Microsoft's WU. I've done it before but that would be something of last resort.
    I would definitely get over to your computer's manufacturer and download all those latest drivers, even if
    you have no intention to actually install them. Being aware of their existence and having copies on hand is always a good idea.

I might seriously consider applying those Intel GPU updates, but not from Microsoft. Check with Dell first to see
    if they are listed for your make and model number. GPU updates in systems with "on board" graphics are potentially
    far more substantial than their add-on counter parts, like NVIDI, whom will usually add other [bloated] non driver related support.
    It's a slightly different beast and you might actually get better performance, but RG's imaging suggestion should still be heeded.
    It's also possible too that MS might "ever so slightly" get it wrong by over generalizing based on whatever detection algorithm they are using.

Windows Update to me has proven useful & consistent in at least one regard: It'll warn you when your video card maker has a driver update ready.
    One of the first things I've noticed with this new class of NVIDIA cards (GTX980) is that they are so weight down with other crap that I
    find it necessary to disable much of it's "phone home" capability and other non essential services.
    The last thing I need is a nag telling me when there is a driver update and then potentially updating without my knowledge. I know perfectly well where the website is.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    There is one case where I have always had good luck with doing a Windows update -- drivers for an onboard NIC.

If you absolutely don't know which driver to install for your onboard NIC, you can connect a temporary NIC (e.g. a USB NIC), get on the internet, and do a Window hardware update. It will likely offer you a driver for the onboard NIC. The offered driver will likely get your onboard NIC working.

This method has saved me numerous times.
    My post #6 was referring to video drivers specifically, when I upgraded XP to win 7 WU'S found a lot of the driver's needed BUT the video drivers were not usable.

Thanks
    I was replying to Rick Corbett's post #5. In light of all of the problems people have had with installing drivers from a Windows hardware update, I wanted to point out that there is at least one hardware update which is helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast