3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IMAP trash issues

We have two laptops, both with Thunderbird. I use one and my wife uses the other. We use Charter email. Originally, I had both machines doing Charter email via a POP3 connection. The problem with that was that when my wife got on, my emails and hers got downloaded (we each have our own Charter account and want both accounts on each computer via Thunderbird). When that happened, my emails would not then d/l on my computer. So, I set her computer up to use the IMAP server connection. This works fine, except for one thing: when she deletes an email, it goes to TRASH folder for only 24 hours, and then it is gone.

From the Charter site:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Deleting Messages Preference - Click the desired radio button to determine what happens to your messages after you delete them. Select Move to the trash folder or Delete immediately (you will not be able to access these emails after they are deleted if you select this option).
      • The messages in the Trash folder are permanently deleted automatically after 24 hours and cannot be retrieved. Extending the time messages are stored in the trash folder is not an option.
      • >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I guess this explains why it disappears. I was hoping once it gets in the Thunderbird Trash folder, it would stay there.

Any suggestions on how we can keep those emails for much longer on her computer?

Mel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't get why your wife downloaded your emails. Do you share a Windows login or have no password set?

Bruce

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    IMAP is really just a copy of what is on the server, so if the server automatically cleans the trash folder your client will do the same. You could create a new folder and move unwanted mail to it, then clean it manually. Alternatively, run Mozbackup every day to capture the mail before the server cleans up.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A couple of things you could try:

Under Server Settings, When I delete a message, tick Just mark it as deleted. The message will stay in your inbox until you compact the folder, but Thunderbird will show it struck through.

You may prefer this idea though:

• Download and install Folder Flags. It will simply add a new tab to the folder's property sheet.

• Create a new folder on the server, name it "Deleted", "Garbage", or anything you want. Be careful not to clash with the existing Trash folder (it has different names in different locales). Subscribe to it in TB.

• In TB, right-click your new folder, select Properties, Flags tab. Select Trash or Deleted (or whatever your locale uses).

• Under Sever Settings, When I delete a message, select Move it to this folder, and point it to your new folder. That will now be your Trash folder, and may not be so aggressively cleaned out.
    Last edited by tonyl; 2015-01-25 at 14:06.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce:
    Our TB has my account and my wife's account. When we boot TB, it d/l to both accounts.

I just got a new idea. Very simple if it works. We can just archive the emails. We can choose delete for emails we KNOW we won't need, or archive otherwise.

I am 99% sure this will work. Comments?

Mel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Archiving is essentially no different from Tony's suggestion, but Tony's is better. Archiving is for storing msgs you want to keep but don't need to see constantly. If you use that as an interim trash folder, you'll need to be careful not to delete actual archived msgs when cleaning out the comingled trash. In contrast, Tony's method allows you to keep archives and trash separated, and still empty the trash on your schedule rather than Charter's.

Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    Our TB has my account and my wife's account. When we boot TB, it d/l to both accounts.
    Well, that's the issue you should really be tackling. There are a number of alternative configurations you could be using.

TB allows you to have multiple profiles, so one option would be to setup one profile for you and one for your wife, with each profile accessing only its respective email acct, not both. (This technique works great with IMAP.)

If you don't want to use separate profiles, you can at least disable the "automatically download as soon as TB starts" (or however it's worded in your version's Settings options). Then when you launch the shared TB profile each of you can choose to download just your own acct's msgs and leave the other acct alone.

Still another option is to setup subfolders in TB and use filters to redirect incoming mail to your or your wife's subfolder based on the "To:" address.

And lastly, you can use multiple installations of Thunderbird Portable. Install TB-portable in two different folders (or flash drives, for true portability), with each installation accessing one email acct, and create shortcuts on your desktop for each installation. You and your wife can have completely separate TB instances.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for all your excellent ideas.
    Food for thought.
    I have never had the need to use archives, so I'll probably use it as my surrogate TRASH folder.

I actually have some other folders (KEEPERS, MEDICAL, TAXES) where I actually do keep some emails.

Mel

Thanks
    Another approach that might be a good option in this situation is to use POP3 instead of IMAP. Then adjust the "Leave messages on server" TB settings to get the results you want. This way both laptops will have all emails (except deleted) stored locally, instead of relying on what is (or is not) stored on the mailserver.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I had to use IMAP for my free Fastmail account, because at the time, the only free accounts did not allow POP access. As a result, I found that I was deleting emails locally and they were no longer on the server either. After losing several emails this way, I set up a parallel Local Folders account in my email client (Thunderbird or Eudora at the time).

The Local Folders can be manipulated to my heart's content, and nothing on the server gets wrecked. WhenI finally have everything saved to the Local Folders account, I then trash out the IMAP account, and everything gets cleaned up immediately and permanently, locally and on the server. The Local Folders copies of the messages are safe.

I use Archives and specific Folders in the Local Folders account to further reduce my tendency to send messages to the Trash when I think I'm done with them. Trash is reserved for monthly cleanups. Then emptied only after one more month. This refers to my Local Folders account, where I am in control of what goes out forever, and when this happens.

I also have backups of the entire email client data structure, one on an internal partition, and the others on two external hard drives. One portable drive can be moved off site with yet another copy of my email data and settings. New Mail is backed up internally per session, and externally per day.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2015-01-30 at 05:25.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Very easy to set up separate user profiles in Thunderbird for each mail account. They'll be kept completely separate, including separate address books and user interface configurations, doesn't matter if configured for POP3 or IMAP. Separate icons can also be placed on the desktop, coded to start Thunderbird with the respective profile. Adding -no-remote to the icon command line also allows both profiles to open at the same time in separate program instances (this also works for Firefox user profiles).

When in IMAP mode, copying (or moving) messages from server-side folders to Local folders keeps a permanent copy regardless of what happens on the server.