New Lounger
    Thanks

Bad update or conflict among HP, Windows, and Intel?

After installing the Intel updates for the driver and software for my HP laptop, I am no longer able to hook up the router that I was connected to successfully prior to the updates.

I applied the Intel wireless_15.3.1_x32 updates to utilize the better speeds promised by my ISP for Intel Pro Wireless 3945 ABG Network Connection. Prior to the upgrades the NetGear tech support agent stated that their equipment can only deliver 50% of the hard wire speed. (This seems highly dubious with a AC1900 router).

I am guessing that there is a conflict between the HP, Windows, and Intel software governing networking.

Any comments or guidance would be most helpful

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Looking at the specs. on Newegg shows that Router's Wireless to be IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n and the Ethernet/Wired to be Gigabit/1000Mbps. IEEE 802.11ac is the latest technology.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122581

Basically put, in order to reach that performance all things in the Network need to be rated the same. And the Internet/WAN/Wide Area Network speeds are beyond the Router, not really affected by the LAN/Local Area Network speeds. I have a Gigabit Wired/802.11n Wireless Network [Router and 8-port switch and a couple of newer computers] but it does not affect my Internet speed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Looking at the specs. on Newegg shows that Router's Wireless to be IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n and the Ethernet/Wired to be Gigabit/1000Mbps. IEEE 802.11ac is the latest technology. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122581Basically put, in order to reach that performance all things in the Network need to be rated the same. And the Internet/WAN/Wide Area Network speeds are beyond the Router, not really affected by the LAN/Local Area Network speeds. I have a Gigabit Wired/802.11n Wireless Network [Router and 8-port switch and a couple of newer computers] but it does not affect my Internet speed.
    The lowest rated component is 50mps and prior to the update the best speed was 20mps wireless.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kardmania View Post
    The lowest rated component is 50mps and prior to the update the best speed was 20mps wireless.
    The lowest rated component is currently 0Mbps.

You need to roll back the drivers one at a time to find the culprit. I's start with the wireless driver.
    In Device Manager, right click on the wireless card and select Properties > Driver > Roll Back Driver.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please clarify one point. Did you get the updated drivers from HP's support/download center or did you get them from Intel's website?

HP may have a version of the Intel drivers that is specific to your HP laptop; therefore, it's usually best to only update drivers from the HP website.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    Please clarify one point. Did you get the updated drivers from HP's support/download center or did you get them from Intel's website?

HP may have a version of the Intel drivers that is specific to your HP laptop; therefore, it's usually best to only update drivers from the HP website.
    I did download from the Intel site rather than HP. I did download the updates for the correct wireless adapter.

To add to the confusion; after talking to Netgear they advise that the best anyone should expect from their routers or anyone else's wireless routers is 50% of the wired speed. Does this seem reasonable or bad technical support?

The other joy with this router is that it constantly drops connectivity.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kardmania View Post
    The other joy with this router is that it constantly drops connectivity.
    That's an entirely different matter and can be dealt with after you've got the driver problems sorted out.