Thanks

Win 10 Build 9926 - IE Search Provider bug?

After 3 failed attempts to update from Build 9879 to Build 9926 I did a clean install of Build 9926. It seemed to go OK but when I run IE as Administrator and try to install a different Search Provider I just get a never-ending series of new IE instances. Anyone else seeing this?
    ie.png
    Click to enlarge

Also, the Customize option for the Notification Area seems to have gone and I have 2 USB icons.
    notifications.png
    Click to enlarge
    I'm wondering whether my 'clean install' needs to be installed again.

Thanks
    Rick, I was able to add Google as a search provider. I don't seem to have the customize option for the Notification area either.

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks for checking Jerry. Using IE from a local account I still can't install a different Search provider:
    ie1.png
    Click to enlarge
    ... whilst running IE as Administrator gives the reproducible fault I described in my original post.

I think I'll do another clean install...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Rick. You really do not have to do another clean install. Here, I got Bing to go ( deleted ) and after this, I could not connect at will. Then, I first got to Google and keeping it minimized, I got some other addresses going. It sorted itself out, on its own, all is cricket now.
    How do you go about picking a browser ? Be good. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    ...when I run IE as Administrator and try to install a different Search Provider I just get a never-ending series of new IE instances. Anyone else seeing this?...
    No, I haven't had that problem. Can you get into Control Panel\Internet Options?

...Also, the Customize option for the Notification Area seems to have gone and I have 2 USB icons...
    No problem there either:

TaskbarProperties.jpg
    TaskbarProperties_1.jpg
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Ah. Forgot about that option for customizing the Notification area. That still works for me as well. Thanks Coochin.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    No, I haven't had that problem. Can you get into Control Panel\Internet Options?
    Hi Coochin... Yes, I can get into Control Panel\Internet Options. I've just installed Build 9926 on another laptop and still cannot add Google.co.uk as a Search provider. I get the same error I showed in post #3, i.e. it's reproducible on 2 different laptops.

I suspect Microsoft don't like that I've changed the Home page in IE from MSN to Google.co.uk. (Cue paranoia theories... )

Thanks for pointing out how to customize the Notification Area. I had missed that completely!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello, Rick. You really do not have to do another clean install.
    Hello Jean... I had other issues with non-detected devices so decided to try a different make/model of laptop to do a clean install... only to find the same issue with IE Search provider.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick, good morning. I also have a laptop here that I will try to upgrade today to 9926. I will keep it pristine as far as default browser is concerned to be able to compare for a while, I do not promise to keep Bing on it too long, I prefer Google. ( edit IE 11 )
    On this Acer now, I tried a URL, Cut and paste, and got a message : Unable to connect. I got Bing up and pasted the URL in it and it connected. I wish that I knew all that goes on, or does not, in this realm. Why can it connect using Bing and not using Google ( edit IE 11 ). Oh ! I am not really using Google, I am using IE 11, right Jerry ? So much fun. Jean.

Thanks
    ROFL... installed Build 9926 on different make and model of laptop. Tried and failed to add Google.co.uk as a search provider using a local account (with administrative privileges) (post #7) so tried again by running IE as Administrator. This time I get a never-ending series of new blank IE instances if I just click on the link to Find more search providers in IE's Manage Add-ons. Reminds me of Gandalf
    images.jpg
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-01-27 at 10:03. Reason: Corrected spelling

Thanks
    Build 9926 x86 here...

Trying to add google.com & google.co.uk results in

Screenshot (6).png

How the heck can I not be connected to the internet? That is where I clicked the link

ETA: I see you have posted the same in post #3. Note to self: read full thread before replying!
    Last edited by Browni; 2015-01-27 at 10:15.

Thanks
    Hi Browni... exactly the same that I experienced! (also with Build 9926 x86)

Thanks
    Hmmm.

Not build related as I am getting the same in IE11 on W8.1

Thanks
    Microsoft getting its own back at Google for releasing flaws in Windows publicly? Zee plot sickens....

(Off topic... Yay, I've finished resolving the 'unknown device' issues with Build 9926 [x86] and now have a laptop that fully supports the Win 10 TP for playing with. )
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-01-27 at 11:21.