Silver Lounger
    Thanks

No more Windows Updates ?

Hello. Did you guys notice that there is no more this icon in Control Panel ? I guess that they want to control ALL the updates. I was able just now to get to it and got one update done. Do they not thrust us ? That screen is really different now and I got a flag at the end saying that the one WU was a success. Thanks to no one. Tee ! hee ! Jean.

W-10.jpg

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jean,

I'm not aware of what will be the ultimate scenario w/ CP & Settings. I did know it was changing... streamlined, more organised, so to speak. If you go through the list in GOD Mode vs Settings it strikes me as, now:
    CP - all 'internal' functions, checks, adjustments, controls, etc. but, all basically & only geared toward the machine (& OS) itself. Just 'boiler room' stuff
    Settings - Things outside the machine & some 'personal' stuff. - Updates, peripherals, connectivity and personal configuring things.

I do understand that the work on these 2 things is, maybe, not finished, quite yet.

Check it out & compare for yourself.

The Windows 10 Platform is more than the OS per se. There is a change in approach & thinking that impacts lots of areas. It's exemplified by how the beta Builds are coming & working. Also, it affects WU. I'm trying pick words carefully... things are going to be treated more seamlessly, less burden on the End User, not the OS (alone) but, the Platform designed so things are kept up to what they should be. Breeds greater security, better performance, the OS looks after itself more & better than ever. Never mind, I talk better than I write. And part is Updates WILL be done. For me, as an IT Pro, the changes we are seeing are welcomed w/ open arms.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It doesn't work from Control Panel but here's the message I got and how to start the Update process, it's still there but in a different place:
    Windows Update.png
    The latest version of Win10 installed this AM.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-01-25 at 21:21.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, Berton, it's in Settings (now) not, CP. The structure or makeup of CP & Settings is changing. It was known this was coming. We saw a bit of it in 9879 when there was both PC Settings & zPC Settings... now, (just) Settings. Not sure if this aspect is in its finished state, yet.

As an aside, if you put updates in Search, the old icon will appear but, when you click it goes to Settings & Update not, the 'old' Windows Update window, anymore.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Windows 10OS.jpg

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    I either go to settings or type wuapp in the run box to reach it.

As to future builds, I believe they're going to handle this Windows differently as Drew said with no future large structural "builds". Joe Belfiore, Terry Myerson, and Gabe Aul have been blogging along these lines. This is a comment on Settings from Gabe Aul:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...sider-program/

"New Settings app: We’re working hard to evolve the Settings experience in Windows and in this build, you will see a lot of this work come together. This is where you will go to manage your device and things like your display, network, and account settings. As I noted above, the new Settings app introduces a different way for configuring how you receive new builds from us too. Even better – the Settings experience will be consistent across all your Windows devices. We’ve made the homepage easier to scan and reminiscent of Control Panel, which many of you were familiar with. It’s icon-based and we re-organized the categories to be more familiar. You can also use search within the app to find the setting you want. Search will even find Control Panel pages that aren’t in the Settings app."

Banned Member
    Thanks
    It (this new way of things) is, also, part of why it won't be the same buying of "new OSs" going in the future of the Platform. Instead of "large structural "builds", no-cost Updates will be pushed out to License holders (End Users running Windows 10)... again & also, part of why there is a desire to have device owners on 10. There is solid, sound, rational behind the Platform but, it, only, manifests optimally w/ devices, actually, on it.

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg