Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ken Kashmarek

Exclamation Windows update for Inventec LAN real or bogus?

I received an offered update for my Win8.1Pro system as follows:

Inventec.jpg

From feedback on the Microsoft site, this appears to be a bogus update, which is causing problems for users that have attempted to install it.

Beware this update.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    How did you get the offer? Was it via Windows update?

cheers, Paul

Ken Kashmarek
    The offer was from Windows Update.

Here is the URL for the Microsoft site discussing the iissue (others can be found via Google search):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...7-74ce7220ab4b

My system is 64-bit, I5-2400 (3.1 GHz, p7-1280T).

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My reading of those messages is that the driver causes problems on a few machines but isn't malicious.
    Have you tried the update?
    Have you uploaded the files to one of the virus checking sites?

cheers, Paul

Ken Kashmarek
    Your response begs the question: why is MicroSoft Windows Update offering a fix for a vendor that is unrecognized by the general community? Why does the update list that you have a fix for an Inventec LAN controller, when there is NO SUCH DEVICE installed? Can we now expect to see other types of updates with similar sounding names, from other vendors. Since some people have issues, chances are this update WAS NOT checked from a quality control standpoint (oh, do we expect that from Miicrosoft?)

I did note on one web entry, that Inventec was associated with Windows 8 phones. Where is that connection.

From the item in Windows Update, here is the "More information" reference:

http://sysdev.microsoft.com/en-US/Ha...t/default.aspx

Driver Information
    Driver Information: Coming Soon

Thank you for using Windows Update. The More information feature is not available yet. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Yet, this update was apparently release November 2014. What's up with that?

Inventec4.jpg

There is more to this than meets the eye at this point.

Ken Kashmarek
    A seemingly suitable response...

http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?t=1092537

Yet, it makes one wonder if shortcomings as this update seems to have, could be used to spread malware just by supplying a suitable crafted change to be distributed through Windows Update.

The best advice as indicated by some: if your network controller is working, then you don't have to apply any such fixes.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    The best advice as indicated by some: if your network controller is working, then you don't have to apply any such fixes.
    My default position.

cheers, Paul

Ken Kashmarek
    A better position would be:

Beware of driver updates as vectors for malware intrusion.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My default position covers that.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I recommend that you disable driver updates in Windows Update. if you think you need a driver update go to the site of the vendor who built the particular part.

Joe

Ken Kashmarek
    I checked on Win7 and Win8.1Pro, and did not find any feature in Windows Update that could be set to specifically "disable driver updates". Can you please describe how to set Windows Update to specifically "disable driver updates"?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    In Windows update, turn off recommended updates.

cheers, Paul

Ken Kashmarek
    From JoeP517:

"...disable driver updates in Windows Update"

There is NO specific item in Windows Update to disable driver updates. That is what I asked for.

The response:

"...turn off recommended updates"

is NOT specific to driver updates, and covers a multitude of software items, including such things as Microsoft Office (or any other Microsoft product besides the OS), Adobe updates, plus a host of others that use Windows Updates to deliver their changes. I get my Canon printer suite updates via that mechanism.

While turning off "...recommended updates" will likely shut down driver changes, it will also block many other items as well.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think Paul T means you should choose 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'. Many loungers opt for this, and only install after getting the all clear from Susan Bradley's Patch Watch.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yet, it makes one wonder if shortcomings as this update seems to have, could be used to spread malware just by supplying a suitable crafted change to be distributed through Windows Update.
    Beware of driver updates as vectors for malware intrusion.
    Amongst the billions of updates served, there's never been a single confirmed instance of malware being distributed via Windows Updates. I'd be astounded if it happened now.

I'm no big fan of Windows Updates. I think it's atrocious that, even in Windows 8 or 10, any failed update gets an error code with a help link which leads absolutely nowhere.

And the quality of updates has plummeted during the last six months or so. But I don't believe anything deliberately evil is ever likely to get delivered by Windows Updates.

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast