4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem changing file dates

I have a large number of JPEG photos that I took while on vacation. Naturally, the dates that the photos were taken vary over the vacation period.
    I've renamed the files so that they are consecutively numbered in the order that I want to show them in a slide show, but not necessarily in the order that they were taken.

I have a small utility called SetFileDate that allows me to change the date that a file was created, modified, and accessed. I used this program to set the dates in all 3 categories for all the files to the same date. I saved the re-dated files to a USB flash drive.

When I view the files on the flash drive, they are sorted numerically, and all the dates are the same.

I copied the files from the flash drive into a folder on my desktop, for the purpose of archiving them to a DVD. However, when I view the folder contents on my desktop, the files show up consecutively numbered (as expected), but the dates show as the original file dates, rather than the modified dates that show on the flash drive.

The only reason I can think that would cause this is if Windows (7 Pro, SP1) reads the EXIF files of the photos and shows those dates. But why doesn't that happen with the flash drive?

Is there a way to totally remove the EXIF data from all the photos (as a batch, since there are 600 photos)? Or, if you don't think my explanation is correct, perhaps you could recommend a program that will REALLY change the file dates once and for all.

Thanks.

Thanks
    You can use Picasa to change EXIF data, but there's a tool called exiftool which can list and change many exif parameters. That might help you. I use it to pull out all the tags I add to photos, but it also has many other parameters as well. It can do a whole folder so will do your files in one go.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, access-mdb.
    I don't care much for Picasa (too invasive), but I'll have a look at exiftool.

Thanks
    Personally I like Picasa and haven't found it it invasive. Can I ask in what way you find it invasive please? One thing I have switched off is face recognition, now that was invasive, or rather just too cumbersome, especially when it started creating contacts based on any names I added. But with that gone it's a pussycat (well I think so anyway).

Thanks
    Have you tried Nir Sofer's BulkFileChanger? It's small, free, portable and understands about dates contained in EXIF data.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-01-27)

Thanks
    Thanks, that sounds better than exiftool, in that it has a gui interface whereas exiftool is a command line one (and is quite complicated). LesF, if you fancy exiftool I can give you a batch file which gets round some of its more complicated issues.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    access-mdb, the last time I researched Picasa, I seem to remember that one of its "features" was that it immediately and automatically reached out and catalogued every picture on your hard drive (IIRC). If that's true (in fact, if it looks for ANY picture on my hard drive without being asked), that's invasive.

I did look at exiftool, and while I don't mind a command line interface (I was raised with DOS), the complexity of this one (according to the reviews), isn't worth my effort. But thank you for offering the batch file.

Rick, thanks for suggesting BulkFileChanger. I'll have a look.

Thanks
    LesF - I hope it works for you. I haven't tried it myself but I'm a fan of Nir Sofer's tools.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-01-28 at 05:39.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    access-mdb, the last time I researched Picasa, I seem to remember that one of its "features" was that it immediately and automatically reached out and catalogued every picture on your hard drive (IIRC). If that's true (in fact, if it looks for ANY picture on my hard drive without being asked), that's invasive.

I did look at exiftool, and while I don't mind a command line interface (I was raised with DOS), the complexity of this one (according to the reviews), isn't worth my effort. But thank you for offering the batch file.

Rick, thanks for suggesting BulkFileChanger. I'll have a look.
    But it doesn't alter your pictures in any way. I still don't get what is invasive.

Thanks
    You can tell which folders to look in under tools/folder manager. As far as I can remember, it gives you that option when you install. But it's a picture manager, so it will catalogue every picture it can find, subject to what you tell it as above. Other picture managers may well be the same.

But each to their own.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dogknees, it's just that I don't like any program that rummages through my computer without my permission, whether or not it alters anything.

As an extreme example, the NSA doesn't alter your emails or phone calls, so I guess they're not invasive either? (Sorry, it's the paranoia speaking).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dogknees, it's just that I don't like any program that rummages through my computer without my permission, whether or not it alters anything.

As an extreme example, the NSA doesn't alter your emails or phone calls, so I guess they're not invasive either? (Sorry, it's the paranoia speaking).

Got to agree with this one, I didn't like Picasa for that exact reason. Guess I missed unchecking or checking a box on install, but upon install, it immediately hunted down every picture on my computer, made lists, etc. I only want a program to do exactly what I tell it to do, only WHEN I tell it and not one thing more and I certainly don't recall telling Picasa to rummage through my entire computer. Ah well, live and learn.
    Last edited by shadow35; 2015-01-28 at 19:24.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    I have a small utility called SetFileDate that allows me to change the date that a file was created, modified, and accessed. I used this program to set the dates in all 3 categories for all the files to the same date. I saved the re-dated files to a USB flash drive.

When I view the files on the flash drive, they are sorted numerically, and all the dates are the same.

I copied the files from the flash drive into a folder on my desktop, for the purpose of archiving them to a DVD. However, when I view the folder contents on my desktop, the files show up consecutively numbered (as expected), but the dates show as the original file dates, rather than the modified dates that show on the flash drive.

The only reason I can think that would cause this is if Windows (7 Pro, SP1) reads the EXIF files of the photos and shows those dates. But why doesn't that happen with the flash drive?
    Are you sure Windows explorer is configured to show the 'Date Modified' for that folder and not the 'Date taken'? It can be configured to show either - or both. Copying files does not ordinarily result a change to the 'Date Modified'. Exceptions can occur when copying to/from CD/DVD media and/or email attachments.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

15. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

LesF (2015-01-28)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, macropod. I didn't realize that I had that option. I'll check it out.