Banned Member
    Thanks

Exclamation Pls Update CCleaner to New Version v.5.02

I hope this is placed in an acceptable location.

CCicon.gif

CCleaner has just released a new version.

Pls, update.

You can read all about it & download it HERE.

Cheers,
    Drew

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2015-01-27)

Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I always appreciate these types of 'heads up' 'cos I usually forget to check the websites of my favourite utilities.

Thanks
    CCleaner free always tells me there's a new version - Options/settings, click 'automatically check for updates...'. Still have to update manually though.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    CCleaner free always tells me there's a new version
    I only use the portable version so would have to click on the Check for updates link in the GUI... which I usually forget to do.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Also, some people don't run CCleaner as often as others do, so they don't notice the updates in as timely a fashion.

Maybe, that's part of why we always mention it when CC has an update.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Belt and braces is better than nothing. I just wanted to point out that option was also available, but if the portable version doesn't do it then your reminder is good as well.

Thanks
    I updated so I could do my occasional comparison between CCleaner and my extended cleanmgr task that runs every night.

CCleaner found about 329MB to clean when I ran Analyze in its default settings; same neighborhood as always, with 65%-70% of those being temporary internet files that (in numbers, anyway) won't be gone for long, and log files that the next run of cleanmgr in Task Scheduler will trim away.

It is now monitoring my computer and will let me know when it needs cleaning. That may prove interesting.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Yesterday CCleaner found 329MB, my extended cleanmgr ran last night via Task Scheduler at 10:30 PM. Today CCleaner found 277MB analyzing in its default settings.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Yesterday (1/30/15) CCleaner found 379MB analyzing with the defaults selected, today it's 277MB. Of that 277MB, 263MB are Temporary Internet Files, which is a meaningless number, since those files would be rapidly replenished if they were deleted, and the total number is limited by the TIF cache settings in IE 11, anyway. IMO, including Temporary Internet Files in the mix is just a means of inflating the supposed effectiveness of running CCleaner.

Extended cleanmgr running once every 24 hours via Task Scheduler is keeping my drives from being overly cluttered by temporary files. The only option CCleaner offers that is not already available to me is a Registry Cleaner, which I have absolutely no intention of running, and for which there is no real need.

Revo Uninstaller Pro has virtually the same tools/options as CCleaner, its Registry cleaning is specifically targeted toward leftovers in the registry when an application/utility is being uninstalled, and that I do use. In addition, Revo Uninstaller Pro contains a Windows Tools tab (Tools > Windows Tools) displaying a launching icon for common Windows Tools. For instance, "System File Checker" will open an elevated Command Window and launch sfc /scannow; just a double click is all it takes. If you have Revo Uninstaller Pro, check it out.

So, I'll keep CCleaner around and updated for auditing purposes, but it has yet to demonstrate to me any worthwhile reason for actually using it.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-01-31 at 09:45.

Unleash Windows

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Trev (2015-02-02)

Thanks
    I think this will be enough, but today's run of CCleaner turned up 367MB, of which 296MB are Temporary Internet Files.

Entended cleanmgr running nightly via Task Scheduler keeps my system pretty lean. The default setting for CCleaner's Monitor is 0.5GB, and I'm just not going to get there with my setup.

Unleash Windows

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I too might grow old(er) waiting to hit its threshold. Numbers, sumbers... no matter, just run the silly thing almost daily so who cares, just run thing like cleanup & al the usual stuff, just cus we know its good ideas, good practices. And that's the real crux of it all, init?

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I think this will be enough, but today's run of CCleaner turned up 367MB, of which 296MB are Temporary Internet Files.

Entended cleanmgr running nightly via Task Scheduler keeps my system pretty lean. The default setting for CCleaner's Monitor is 0.5GB, and I'm just not going to get there with my setup.
    Hey, mine quit running the task w/ 9926 (???). Ran right until the switch, right after the 23rd. Have to do it manually, now. Still, all there in Task scheduler, just doesn't run anymore. I'm stumped why.

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Hey, mine quit running the task w/ 9926 (???). Ran right until the switch, right after the 23rd. Have to do it manually, now. Still, all there in Task scheduler, just doesn't run anymore. I'm stumped why.
    I've got 10 on a VM in Hyper V, where it will stay until well after RTM, so that's not an issue for me.

Unleash Windows

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I've got 10 on a VM in Hyper V, where it will stay until well after RTM, so that's not an issue for me.
    My 10 is a VM in Hyper-V, as well. Will be until Upgrading w/ GA.

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    . . . good practices. And that's the real crux of it all, init?
    That's my point. I compare CCleaner with what can be accomplished with Windows' built-in tools, and the only thing it really has to offer is a Registry Cleaner, which I would not use, and advise anyone against using. These last few posts I've put up are just to emphasize that point—I see nothing to gain in running CCleaner. But that's just me. YMMV

Which brings me to my last post of comparison: Today's CCleaner analysis is 372MB, of which 309MB are Temporary Internet Files (which I have setup to be self-limiting via the TIF cache size in IE 11).

Unleash Windows