Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keys ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Keys ?

In a forum here, that I can not find again, there was a link to a URL where one could find an app to locate the Windows keys. I ran it and it gave me a bunch of them. I have my keys and ran this as a learning process. The supplied keys were not valid. I then ran Regedit and Alt E -> (F)ind and asked to find the xxxxx-xxxxx etc , in the Find dialogue. It never found them. What is this small finder app finding ? Luckily, it is free. Has anybody here actually found their legal keys ?

Have a great day. Jean.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Jean,

There are many,

Magic Jelly Bean Finder
    Belarc Advisor
    Speccy

among others.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi Jean... do you mean Nir Sofer's ProduKey or Magical Jelly Bean?

Hope this helps...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

handcuff36 (2015-01-28)

Thanks
    Jean,

I just ran some tests and I was surprised that Speccy does not return the correct key! And my own PowerShell program also returns an incorrect key, the same one as Speccy!

However, NirSoft ProduKey and Belarc Advisor both return the correct key. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Jean,

I just ran some tests and I was surprised that Speccy does not return the correct key! And my own PowerShell program also returns an incorrect key, the same one as Speccy!

However, NirSoft ProduKey and Belarc Advisor both return the correct key. HTH
    Speccy shows the correct Toshiba generic one for my Win 7 - perhaps it's a Win 8 thing ?

Do you have the latest version of Speccy ?

Thanks
    Sudo,

I just downloaded and installed the latest version direct from Piriform and it still returns the incorrect Key. What I think it is returning is the embedded key for 8.0 that my Dell came installed with rather than the 8.1 Pro upgrade key. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick, hello.
    I found the proper keys using Nir Sofer's app. All of them are proper as I can compare with all my legal keys that I keep like their value in bitcoins.
    I voted a Tks to you. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, RG. Like you, I found that these gave wrong data. But thanks for trying.

I used Nir Sofer's app and that worked great. You have a great day too. Jean.

Thanks
    One thing I discovered running my Repair/Reinstall on 8.1 was that the installation of the Media Center Pack loads that Product Key into the registry as Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center Product Key. Neither key finder could locate my Windows 8 Pro Product Key.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Bruce,

The incorrect codes I get returned are not my Media Center code. YMMV

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    I found the proper keys using Nir Sofer's app.
    Hi Jean... I'm glad Produkey worked successfully for you. Thanks for letting us know.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Bruce,

The incorrect codes I get returned are not my Media Center code. YMMV
    I just downloaded and ran NirSoft ProduKey (after excluding it from Malwarebytes protection) and it pulls up my Media Center Product Key also, not my Windows 8 Pro Product Key.

Good thing I keep it in a safe place, huh?
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-02-02 at 10:02. Reason: grammar
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    On many customers' OEM computers I have worked on the product key returned by programs like ProduKey have not matched the product key on the COA sticker on the computer. AFAIK OEMs generally use a special product key when setting up a Windows image for their production runs.

In several cases when I have had to install Windows after the customer's HDD failed I have managed to copy off the Windows registry hives and run ProduKey on them on one of my PCs (ProduKey has a "remote registry" function), but usually Windows fails to activate using such keys. Often, especially w/ laptops that have been used on damp surfaces the COA sticker is unreadable so it means having to buy a new product key. It helps to place a piece of clear packaging tape over the COA sticker to protect it from moisture.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When I tried out a repair install on my Win 7 laptop, I used Toshiba's generic key which Belarc Advisor gave me and Windows accepted that - I didn't try with the COA sticker key because the SP1 had been downloaded from Digital River, although I believe some have been able to use the COA sticker key having done that.

I've written down the COA sticker key because of the risk of it being worn even though the feet keep it off the desk surface.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-01-29 at 03:21.

Thanks
    Coochin & Sudo,

My latest dell (now 1.5 yrs old) didn't even come with a COA sticker! It is my understanding that the new UEFI setups have the Windows Keys burnt in for the OEM Windows. I think this is why some software reports a Key I don't have written down while others report the last key used to install the version of the OS (The machine came w/8.0 std and I used my 8.0 Pro Upgrade, transferred from my previous machine, on it and this is the key ProduKey & BelArc Advisor report.) HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast