2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need help with report template - Word 10

I'm working in a template created by someone else (I have no idea who). I'm having an issue with the second (and succeeding) pages in some of the sections. For example, when the TOC spills onto a second page, the top margin is the same as the first page. However, if you scroll down to Section 1, you'll see that the second page top margin is closer to the top of the page (better option). When I get down to the Appendices, it reverts back to the same top margin for first and following pages). I'm not savvy enough in Word to understand why it works correctly in some of the sections, but not others, or how to fix it. I will attach the template. If someone could help me, I'll be very happy. Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The WHO is Linda Aiken (click on the file menu to get that data). Section 1 is the document front page with the graphic, and this is set to have different headers on the first and subsequent pages. All other headers appear to be same on all pages - but modifying the layout of the header would be the solution I think.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am Linda Aiken, and I didn't create this template. I don't see anywhere in the document other than the first page that has a different first page header. However, I think I've figured out that the Heading 1 style is being placed in the header so that on subsequent pages the text will line up with a one inch top margin.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Linda

This document is an example of Section Breaks gone wild. They appear to serve no purpose other than to confuse the user since the headers and footers don't change. If you replaced all the section breaks with page breaks you would find it much easier to work out what was going on.

The way the document is put together is very interesting. The Heading 1 style is placed in a frame and defined to sit 3.5cm from the top of the page. This gives the impression that the top margin is pushed down the page. The frame also has a setting that pushes the subsequent text down the page. If you change the style of the Heading 1 element to Normal you can see how the page setup appears much different.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's also helpful in knowing that Word 10 is old unless it is meant as Office 2010 which has Word 14, lots of changes between the older and newer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caniac View Post
    I'm working in a template created by someone else (I have no idea who). I'm having an issue with the second (and succeeding) pages in some of the sections. For example, when the TOC spills onto a second page, the top margin is the same as the first page. However, if you scroll down to Section 1, you'll see that the second page top margin is closer to the top of the page (better option). When I get down to the Appendices, it reverts back to the same top margin for first and following pages). I'm not savvy enough in Word to understand why it works correctly in some of the sections, but not others, or how to fix it. I will attach the template. If someone could help me, I'll be very happy. Thanks!
    In Word, there is no setting for continuation-page margins. Margins are a section property and apply to the entire section.

I do not see the different margin you describe in the second page of the TOC. In that section both the first and second page in the TOC have a margin of 2.53 inches. This is true of the first section and Appendices as well.

Section 4 (the body of the document) has 1-inch top margins on all pages. The first page of that section appears to have more space on that page because of space-before formatting of the Heading 2 style. In Word 2010 this space-before spacing will apply at the beginning of the first page of a section but not on continuation pages.

You can, in Word, emulate different continuation-page margins using different-first-page settings in the Header. You put something in the header where you want more space at the top. This can be a borderless text box. It can be space-after spacing on the last line of text in the header. This is demonstrated in the letterhead textboxes and styles tutorial on my download page.

This is a good use of sections, assuming you want page numbering and margins to be different in the different sections.

You may find the following web pages useful:
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2015-01-31 at 11:22.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who responded!

First, my apologies, I meant to type Word 2010.

I now have a much better understanding of how this template works. What I meant about the margins in the TOC section was that I wanted it to appear the way the other sections in the template, where the second and succeeding pages were 1 inch margins and I couldn't figure out how it was done in the other sections. I had a feeling it had something to do with the Heading style, but I couldn't see how it was working. I've been able to successfully modify the template, thanks to all the wonderful suggestions and help!

Lin