4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing Quick Access Toolbars (QAT)

Hi
    We are about to role out Office 2013 to our staff running under Win 8.1.
    I have been tasked with creating a new "Corporate image" by restricting the styles available to staff and ensuring they are maintained when staff compiling new reports and other documents. This I have done. Included with this was the desire to present staff with a modified uncluttered QAT.

I have tried many variations of modifications, change the Normal.dotm, change the startup global template, create individual templates but I cannot seem to get the modified QAT to stick. I modify the Normal.dotm and save and everything seems to be great but when I log off and log on again it has reverted to the original!!

I have tried this both on and off our network but doesn't make any difference.

Anyone got any clues how to overcome this?
    cheers

Phil Carter

Thanks
    A few points.
    1. The normal template should not be shared, ever.
    2. You can prepare a custom normal template, with care, that is distributed with new installations. This must be based on an open normal.dotm template, not on a document created from that template.
    3. If changes you make to your normal template are not being saved, there is likely a problem with one or more Add-Ins blocking the saving of changes.
    4. You want to store changes to the QAT to be distributed in a custom global template designed for that purpose not in the default. That template is not the normal template. This is easy to do. See this page.

I currently have four global templates running that have QAT modifications. In addition some of my document templates have QAT modifications. (Ribbon modifications for individual templates are an order of magnitude more difficult, QAT modifications are easy.) I keep QAT modifications running macros or using AutoText/Building Blocks in the templates that hold those items.

If you want to see how this works, download some of the templates with QAT modifications from my Downloads page and look at them. The first five Add-Ins all have QAT modifications. The 2003 WordArt Add-In also has a QAT modification and is macro-free.
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2015-01-28 at 13:27.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Charles
    I finally figured out that I needed to change the Word.officeUI file to achieve the changes to the QAT.
    cheers

Phil Carter

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bonriki View Post
    Thanks Charles
    I finally figured out that I needed to change the Word.officeUI file to achieve the changes to the QAT.
    NO. That is the least effective way to do this. That file is for personal changes, not for corporate-wide or Office-wide ones. Copying that file to another computer overwrites any existing customizations. Putting the customizations in a separate template lets you add to and modify your customizations rather than replacing them. If you do this through the CustomUI file, anytime you make changes for your corporate QAT you will delete any changes your users have made for their own use. This will make them unhappy with you and is not necessary.

You will find anything you need to make a global template that holds your QAT modifications here: http://addbalance.com/word/ribbonmodification.htm
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

bonriki (2015-01-28)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Phil

You can save your QAT customisations into a new empty template and then install that template into the user's startup folder. This will make the QAT customisations available to all.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

bonriki (2015-01-28)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Andrew
    cheers

Phil Carter