New Lounger
    Thanks

Computer Freezing

In Window 8.1, I have been using "Power Saver" to turn off display & put computer to sleep. Since the latest "Update for Windows of Jan. 22", I cannot turn on the computer with the mouse so I have to turn off the computer & start it again. I have tried the System Restore but initially made a mistake by not disabling the antivirus (McAfee) program completely so System Restore did not complete the recovery. (Since System Restore needs to reboot first, McAfee starts up again). Since System Restore (supposedly) allow one to delete the System Restore Point, I tried that but it appears the program will not do that. Thus no earlier Recovery Point will work. (later I noted that the computer will freeze even if no Power Saver options or Scren Saver is selected. This appears to be timed in that it takes a while (hours?) before it will freeze). I understand that Refresh will delete all updates & then install them one by one. Is that correct? Any help is appreciated!
    Angus

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Have you gone through the Advanced options one-by-one in Control Panel > Power Options > Choose when to turn off the display > Change advanced power settings > Advanced settings?

Power Options.PNG

If you click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" it will give you access to all the options.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Angus,

I've noticed that same behavior (mouse won't wake computer from sleep) but I've found that pressing the Windows key does the trick, at least on my machine. FYI: I'm using a Logitech Wireless Mouse w/ Unifying Receiver. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks

Computer Freezing

Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Have you gone through the Advanced options one-by-one in Control Panel > Power Options > Choose when to turn off the display > Change advanced power settings > Advanced settings?

Power Options.PNG

If you click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable" it will give you access to all the options.
    Thanks for the tips but they do not help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Computer Freezing

Thanks but pressing the Windows key does not do anything. In any case I want to be able to turn off display & put my computer to sleep again. I feel the key question is what "Refresh" will do since that latest Windows update caused the problem. If Refresh will delete that update, it will solve the problem.

Thanks
    Have you tried System Restore?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    He has tried System Restore.
    In Window 8.1, I have been using "Power Saver" to turn off display & put computer to sleep
    I don't understand that. The options are Sleep and Hibernate. They are activated by right clicking on the Windows icon in the Taskbar, choosing "Shut down or sign out" and choosing the required option from the pop up list. Reactivation is by pressing any key or a mouse key.
    "Power Options > Choose when to turn off the display" is a different thing altogether, as is "change when the computer sleeps" Both of these settings may be over-ridden by the power saving settings in a EUFI bios if you don't alter the bios settings as well. These settings are initiated after the computer has been idle for a set period of time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, Calimanco.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    "Power Options > Choose when to turn off the display" is a different thing altogether, as is "change when the computer sleeps" Both of these settings may be over-ridden by the power saving settings in a EUFI bios if you don't alter the bios settings as well. These settings are initiated after the computer has been idle for a set period of time.
    Using the Advanced settings in 'Control Panel > Power Options > Choose when to turn off the display > Change advanced power settings' will indeed put the computer to sleep after the specified idle time, and it can be awakened by pressing any key, moving the mouse/touching the trackpad. I have all of the sleep/power off options in UEFI turned off/disabled on my laptop. It's setup through the Windows Power Options settings, as they offer more granularity for sleep/hibernate and AC power/Battery. That way, depending on where I am and what I'm doing, if I get distracted from the laptop long enough, it will do what I want it to do and conserve battery power.

At home, if I close the lid with it plugged in, it sleeps; unplugged and on battery, it hibernates. My desktops, on the other hand, stay on all the time, and Task Scheduler takes care of my routine maintenance. But those advanced settings will work the same way on a desktop.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcl View Post
    Thanks but pressing the Windows key does not do anything. In any case I want to be able to turn off display & put my computer to sleep again. I feel the key question is what "Refresh" will do since that latest Windows update caused the problem. If Refresh will delete that update, it will solve the problem.
    Have you tried uninstalling the update(s) yourself?

Uninstall Update.PNG

The path is in the title bar of the image. Scroll down to the Windows Updates, uninstall the latest batch of updates, and see if that cures your problem. If it does, then you can try re-installing the updates one at a time, check to see if it causes your problem, and if not, install another.

When you find the update that is causing the problem, uninstall it, then hide it.

Unleash Windows