4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shockwave Flash in Chrome

I have been having an ongoing problem with Shockwave flash in Chrome. I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-A laptop, running the latest version of Windows 8.1.

I posted about this back in August and received sevral helpful suggestions but none fixed the problem. Flash would crash at least once a day, sometimes twice. Almost always between 11 & 12 in the morning. I made sure that I only had one version of Flash running, had the latest versions of both Flash and Chrome running, including removing and re-installing them, and the problem persisted. I tend to keep a lot of Tabs open, 10-20, and I would have to click to Stop Flash on each Tab and then Re-Load on each Tab. Generally, my computer also ran slowly but I figured that was because it was an inexpensive laptop.

Last week, I decided to try using Internet Explorer and what do you know? Everything is working so much better! No flash crashes and the computer itself seems to be running better. Not sure what the difference is.

Now, here's the thing, I still like Chrome better. Before I make a bunch of changes to IE to get it set up the way I like, I thought I would check one more time and see if there is some fix to Chrome that I missed. Thanks for any help you can provide.

btw, I did download FireFox to try it out and it started telling me I had the wrong Flash and stuff wouldn't work, so, I ditched it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    that happens to me but i think it is more likely buggy chrome scripts than anything else

last time was today when some site tried showed a video i did not want
    and i clicked open soem other links on that page and ignored it
    eventually i got the shockwave flash error message even though i never started the vid

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using IE for a week and I just like Chrome better. I thought I would try and uninstall Adobe Flash Player, then re-starting Chrome to see if that would force it to use it's built in Flash Player. As I went to do that, I clicked on Control Panel and noticed I have a stand alone program listed as Flash Player (32 Bit). I attached a screen shot. Control Panel.jpg

Could this be the problem? Should I be running a 64 Bit version of Flash Player? I tried to Google an answer but there wasn't anything that showed up quickly, so I thought I would check here. If anyone has any input, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks.

Thanks
    I'm on win 7 64 bit and my CP shows the same as yours FLASH PLAYER ( 32 bit ). I'm not having any of the problems you describe on your 8.1 OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm also using win 7 pro, 64 bit, and my Chrome is doing exactly like donebb describes, so it's not just win 8.1. I've tried the same fixes as donbb, with the same negative results. I think the problem is with the current version of Chrome.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    the fix to chrome is to switch to firefox

i have chrome and it is bugfest central
    flash crashes
    long lunches doing something with the disk drive until it decides it stole enough of my private info and gives me a few cycles

if i could get FF workign again i would rip chrome out by the roots

Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    I have been having an ongoing problem with Shockwave flash in Chrome. I have a Toshiba Satellite C55-A laptop, running the latest version of Windows 8.1.

I posted about this back in August and received sevral helpful suggestions but none fixed the problem. Flash would crash at least once a day, sometimes twice. Almost always between 11 & 12 in the morning. I made sure that I only had one version of Flash running, had the latest versions of both Flash and Chrome running, including removing and re-installing them, and the problem persisted. I tend to keep a lot of Tabs open, 10-20, and I would have to click to Stop Flash on each Tab and then Re-Load on each Tab. Generally, my computer also ran slowly but I figured that was because it was an inexpensive laptop.

Last week, I decided to try using Internet Explorer and what do you know? Everything is working so much better! No flash crashes and the computer itself seems to be running better. Not sure what the difference is.

Now, here's the thing, I still like Chrome better. Before I make a bunch of changes to IE to get it set up the way I like, I thought I would check one more time and see if there is some fix to Chrome that I missed. Thanks for any help you can provide.

btw, I did download FireFox to try it out and it started telling me I had the wrong Flash and stuff wouldn't work, so, I ditched it.