Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What's new and expected in Win10, build 9926

TOP STORY

What's new and expected in Win10, build 9926

By Woody Leonhard

Microsoft's Jan. 21 Windows 10 presentation revealed all sorts of new information about the next version of Windows, reportedly shipping this fall. Two days later, build 9926 arrived.

Here's an overview of what you can see in the current Win10 Tech Preview plus what's likely to dribble out over the summer.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/whats-new-and-expected-in-win10-build-9926 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sadly, the Cortana is deactivated in my region, Sweden, and consecuently also web and Windows search.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Great to see a free upgrade for Windows 7 but will Windows 10 upgrade 7 in place or is it a complete start again? Also will my perfectly serviceable Office 2007 including Outlook & Access continue to work? I hope so because as a home user the new versions are expensive!
    Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JAgr View Post
    Sadly, the Cortana is deactivated in my region, Sweden, and consecuently also web and Windows search.
    It does not work in England region either, maybe we speak the wrong English !!

Thanks
    I am curious. Are any Win7 users on older hardware, circa 2010-2011 finding any driver issues with Win10? (I have not yet had the time to install and try the Tech Preview.)
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatRay
    Are any Win7 users on older hardware, circa 2010-2011 finding any driver issues with Win10?
    Even older... I'm using a Toshiba SatPro A200 circa 2007. Win 10 Build 9926 (x32) installed everything except for the Texas Instruments card reader and Toshiba modem so I just used the Win 7 drivers from the Toshiba web site. Everything was working well up to yesterday when the built-in automatic update mechanism decided to update the Qualcomm Atheros WLAN driver. Whilst that worked (i.e. wireless is still working fine), I now have a new Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter_01 device showing an exclamation mark in Device Manager. I haven't had time yet to see if I can sort this out.

Hope this helps answer your query about older kit...

Update: For interest, I just installed Win 10 Build 9926 (x32) on an HP 2530p laptop circa 2008. I had to use a number of Win 7 drivers but everything's looking good so far.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-01-29 at 16:42.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Even older... I'm using a Toshiba SatPro A200 circa 2007. Win 10 Build 9926 (x32) installed everything except for the Texas Instruments card reader and Toshiba modem so I just used the Win 7 drivers from the Toshiba web site. Everything was working well up to yesterday when the built-in automatic update mechanism decided to update the Qualcomm Atheros WLAN driver. Whilst that worked (i.e. wireless is still working fine), I now have a new Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter_01 device showing an exclamation mark in Device Manager. I haven't had time yet to see if I can sort this out.

Hope this helps answer your query about older kit...
    It is goo info to know.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Lounger
    Thanks
    "In other words, all updates will be installed automatically, whether you like it or not. If you fear and loathe Microsoft's Automatic Updates as much as I do, that's a bitter pill to swallow. Time and again, Microsoft has shown that it's incapable of reliably patching its own software."

Several times over the years my firewall has trapped an unintended update, of several products including Windows Updates (accidentally turned on or something). Will this no longer be possible? Of course, it would be better if Microsoft first of all fixed something which I would call a bug by design.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Even Older

I am running it on a Sony VAIO VGN-FJ1S Not sure exact date but found a review in 2005, no problems with hardware, this was an XP computer windows 8 had problems with the display but works fine with 10

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The new Build 9926 will no longer allow me to access my networked External Hard drives. I have graphics programs that save their files on those drives and therefore no longer are useable in this build. Also in my instance Cortana only searches the web and not the local computer. ALSO: I cannot get Cortana to send sound to my speakers and does not hear me through my mic.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This tethering and automatic updating is probably a good idea for home users, but it is anathema to systems administrators who like to use a tool like WSUS to control when their users get updates. In a large network, updates are thoroughly tested in a test network first and deployed only when they have been demonstrated to be harmless in the firm's environment. If this is forced down our throats, we'll probably avoid Windows 10 as we have Windows 8/8.1.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lindacjones For This Useful Post:

coyoteaz (2015-01-30)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not wild about having to accept automatic updates.
    I do stay current for security updates, but I delay several days to make sure MS hasn't written an unrecoverable bug into their update. It's not like it hasn't happened in the past. ( paranoia is your friend )

I like Win 7 on my desktop and it's all I need with security being my main concern in the future when support finally ends.

If forced to accept updates,
    I think I'll back up my current working OS to a drive image, restore to the factory image and then do the free Win 10 update which I'll also back up to a drive image and store..... finally reverting back to my working image of Win 7.
    In the distant future, simply restore the Win 10 image when security is no longer updated for Win 7.

Probably do a similar maneuver with my Win 8.0 laptop.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackStone For This Useful Post:

Agha (2015-01-29),coyoteaz (2015-01-30)

Thanks
    I am a home user, but I DO NOT want any Windows updates to be forced on me when they are available. They have proven time and time again that their updates cannot be trusted when first issued.

I will NOT be forced into that corner... Microsoft be real careful how you back people into a corner... have you forgotten what happened with Win8 already?

I guess I am in the minority on the software issue. I want my disc and my copy of the software running on MY machine and NOT in a cloud somewhere. I know I am old school, but it has worked well for me these 30 some odd years and again, I do not wish for Microsoft to force me into a corner. I was sort of looking forward to Win10 based on what I had seen so far and was going to get a laptop soon after it was released with Win10, but now, I don't think so.

I would have happily taken WinXP to my grave, but gave in and went to Win7. It is ok and I can live with it. Guess I have til 2020 to figure out what my next move will be for an operating system on my desktop... time will tell.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PamS For This Useful Post:

coyoteaz (2015-01-30)

Thanks
    If you feel strongly about automatic Windows Updates, use the Windows Feedback app to make your feelings known to Microsoft. They might change that if they get enough negative feedback.

Jerry

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

coyoteaz (2015-01-30)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    If you feel strongly about automatic Windows Updates, use the Windows Feedback app to make your feelings known to Microsoft. They might change that if they get enough negative feedback.

Jerry
    Jerry,

Since I am not part of the Win10 testing, I don't believe I have the option to send them feedback on something I am not testing for them. Of course if I am incorrect, I know someone will correct me.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast