Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Asus X99-5 Fan Connections for H110 Cooler

Motherboard: Asus X99-S
    CPU: i7 5820K

Cooler: Corsair H110

This should be my last question on this build which Iím hoping to finish in the next week or so. I took Clintís advice and got a SSD but ran into a question on the fan connectors to which Iíve seen conflicting reports when Iíve googled for information.

Iím fitting a Corsair H110 liquid cooler which uses 3 fan connectors (1 for the pump and 2 for the two fans), the case also uses 3 connectors for the 3 chassis fans. The X99-S has a cpu_fan, cpu_opt and 4 chassis fan connectors

Iíve read that there are issues if you connect the pump to the cpu_fan and one of the fans to cpu_opt as the fan will then always run at 100% as the two are linked.

I was assuming then that a better approach would be to either connect the pump to one of the chassis fan connectors and set it to 100% or connect it to the psu, and then connect the two cooler fans to the cpu_fan and cpu_opt but then read elsewhere that there were problems with the fans never going over 50% even under load.

So Iím a bit confused now as to the best way to connect the cooler now having read conflicting information and was hoping someone would know the best way to do this.

Many thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The pump seems to have a 3 pin connector which makes it a voltage regulated unit, with the third wire returning RPM to the controller. I assume the fans are the same. The X99 has 4 pin cpu fan connectors and are PWM controllers so won't control the speed of VR fans. You need to confirm if the X99 will drive your cooler, if not you will need a PWM to VR converter - I can't find one that does the job automatically, they are all manual speed control.

You can run the pump and fans off one VR supply, but speed control may go out the window. Ideally the cooler would have a controller that hooks up to the mobo and runs the pump and fans at mobo determined speed.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I've always listened to LinusTech Tips....watch his video, especially at the 5:19 minute mark. Here he connects the pump fan plug into the mobo cpu header and then the fans are connected to the mobo existing fan headers or directly to the PSU.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Found a DIY controller that seem to do the job, but it's for a single fan only.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/th...in-fan.115752/

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The pump seems to have a 3 pin connector which makes it a voltage regulated unit, with the third wire returning RPM to the controller. I assume the fans are the same..

cheers, Paul
    The pump is 3 pin but the fans are 4 pin. If I can't use the cpu_opt I'll be short of a connector though I guess I can use a splitter on one of the chassis fan connectors so that the motherboard can still control the fans
    Last edited by Slorm; 2015-01-29 at 15:22.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could connect the fans to the cpu_fan and cpu_opt, then run the pump from 12 volts, or get an adapter to run the pump from one of the chassis fan connectors. Whatever you do, you should stick to one fan / pump per mobo connector.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I recommend you follow the video in post #3. (There are a number of options described)

I'm using the Corsair H100i, but it's pump gets power directly from a HDD-like power connector, and I plan on using
    fan splitters on the two CPU headers for the push/pull fan config I'm planning.

The only issue I have with the Corsair series closed unit coolers are the radiator hoses could be a few inches longer.
    You won't need any Corsair software for monitoring or control, as the Asus board you've chosen should have superior EUFI BIOS based fan control.
    I'm not sure if that X99 board you have has the extra fan header board included, but it's proven to be VERY useful on my setup.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Slorm (2015-01-30)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A thought about the pump. All of the cooling is dependent on the pump running so you need to ensure the pump runs all the time and at a decent rate, with it running full speed once the CPU is above idle. This probably means it's best to have it running full speed all the time via a direct 12 volt connection.

cheers, Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Slorm (2015-01-30)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately there's no extra fan board on the X99-S, so I'll either do what's in the video and connect the pump to cpu_fan and leave fan_opt empty, I can then connect each cooler fan to a separate connector and use a fan splitter to handle the two front intake fans on the case and use the last connector for the exhaust.

I may also go back to my first plan (as Paul suggests above) I can then get away using the cpu_opt with the cpu_fan header for both cooler fans as they will run in tandem in any case and connect the pump to the psu with a molex -> fan connector

I guess I'll have to experiment a bit which I was hoping to avoid as it's a bit fiddly moving some of the connectors around, though I suspect that I'm fussing over an unnecessary detail here in any case.

EDIT: After thinking about it some more I've decided on the following:

Pump: cpu_fan
    Radiator fans: both cha_1 with a pwm splitter
    Chassis fans: cha_2, cha_3, cha_3
    Last edited by Slorm; 2015-01-30 at 10:27.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Let us know how the temps fare.

I notice you have intake and exhaust fans. This is probably bad design because the whole lot will only run at the rate of the least powerful fan. I would have the most powerful fans, in this case the cooler, drawing air through the box and radiator, then out. Again, check all temps to see how it's fairing.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've read so many different views on intake/exhaust fan ratios. Corsair recommend drawing air into the case but as the radiator is on top not only are you blowing hot air into the case but heat rises as well so it seems to be a little contrary to physics.

I'm trying a different configuration which I read of and (to me at least) seems to make more sense. That is, having the two front fans as intake so blowing cold air into the case and have the two radiator and the back fan as exhaust to draw off the heat. I'd imagine the board controller will take care of any imbalance by adjusting the fan speeds and if need be I could always add an extra intake if it needs further balancing (luckily I have a Maplin shop within walking distance)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can safely ignore the "hot air rises" bit because you have forced airflow via the fans.
    The power supply fan is fixed so you need to base the airflow on that, i.e arrange for the air to flow in the same direction.
    You should not draw air through the radiators and into the case because that will increase internal temperatures - the power supply doesn't do it that way.

cheers, Paul

BTW, hot air does not rise, cold air is heavier and gravity pulls that down displacing the hot air.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should not draw air through the radiators and into the case because that will increase internal temperatures - the power supply doesn't do it that way.
    This was my thinking as well, I've never quite understood why Corsair recommend it. I guess their thinking is that it's drawing cooler air from outside the case which will increase the thermal efficiency of the radiator, but blowing hot air into the case would (to me at least) seem to negate any gain in efficiency.

You're quite right about cold air displacing hot, it's been many years since I did physics

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Drawing outside air into the radiator allows it to cool the CPU more due to the potentially lower radiator temperature. Ultimately the airflow depends on your case design and position in the room.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Drawing outside air into the radiator allows it to cool the CPU more due to the potentially lower radiator temperature. Ultimately the airflow depends on your case design and position in the room.

cheers, Paul
    I'm still thinking about this (probably overthinking now), if I went the Corsair route and had the 2 radiator fans as intakes as well as the 2 front chassis fans as intakes that would create positive pressure but would that then cause a problem with the one remaining fan at the back for the exhaust being a 4:1 ratio?

The flow would work from front to back and down to back if the exhaust can keep up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast