New Lounger
    Thanks

HP Pavilion dv6 black screen

Hello, my kids HP Pavilion dv6 laptop has recently shown only a black screen when starting up. The Caps Lock light is on, the wifi light is on, network port light is on, but the screen is black. I have tried getting to a boot screen during startup by pressing the escape key, and then trying the PF10 key. I still only get a black screen.

I have tried doing a hard reset (remove battery, hold power button down for 30 seconds, plug in, reboot) to no avail. I have searched here and on the web and it appears to be a somewhat known problem with HP laptops...unfortunately with no real fix.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or experience in troubleshooting this?

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, one other thing, I have tried hooking an external monitor up, the external monitor shows black as well.

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds like the on-board graphics have gone to god. Can you get into the BIOS set up by pressing Del on start up?
    There isn't much you can do short of a new motherboard, although you can swap the disk into another laptop of the same model.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, nope, can't get to the BIOS.

I have never tried to repair a PC or dealt with PC repair shops. It sounds like I have to figure out if the cost of any potential repair and the life expectancy that is left vs. scrapping it and getting a new machine is worth it.

Thanks for the reply

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you able to boot up into Safe Mode with Networking to use the on board VGA - you could then go to HP Support and download the relevant Diagnostic Tools http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/h...gnostics_cc/dt or the graphics drivers.

You may also be able to use the existing Diagnostics.

You could create the bootable USB/DVD Vision Diagnostics on another machine if you can't get in.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't get to any boot options, when the machine is turned on the screen remains black. I have tried all the various key combinations to get to the BIOS screen or boot menu screen but nothing works. The screen is black from the start and remains black.

I'll try creating the HP Vision Diagnostics CD...it looks like that file is a self-extracting exe file of some sort, I assume by downloading the sp69131.exe file and executing that it will create a bootable CD?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This section deals with using the Vision Diagnostics http://support.hp.com/us-en/document...#Download_HPSA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrin View Post
    ...when the machine is turned on the screen remains black...The screen is black from the start and remains black...
    From your #1 post "...HP Pavilion dv6 laptop...". Try connecting a separate monitor to the VGA port on the side of the laptop. If you get display on the monitor then the problem will probably be the wiring between the laptop's motherboard and screen, or possibly blown backlight or inverter. If you don't get display on the monitor then the laptop's motherboard has likely died.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did attach an external monitor, the external monitor did not show anything either. I wonder if the creating an DVD ISO file will really prove to do anything, if the screen won't show even the initial splash screen will it be able to show the diagnostic screen?

I believe you are probably correct, the MB is probably dead. In which case, is it worth fixing?

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The mobo is relatively easy to replace, it's the cost of the mobo that may be prohibitive.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The mobo is relatively easy to replace, it's the cost of the mobo that may be prohibitive.

cheers, Paul
    I wouldn't say a laptop MB is easy to replace. It's a real pain with lots of delicate connectors and small screws of different sizes to keep track of. It's not a task for the average user. Even Desktop MB replacement can be difficult for the average user but nowhere as difficult as laptop MBs.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    and I am decidedly average :-) Sounds like it is time to start shopping.

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Pardon me whilst I re-calibrate my ability calculator!

cheers, Paul