Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Enabling Cortana

Hello. I do not think that Canada has become the 51st State. I am in Montréal and Cortana is working for me, it is supposed to be exclusively US capable so far. The voice is not operative, KB is. I checked my table mic and it is working. Cortana found all my cloud data on asking via the KB, 1 for KB - 0 for mic.
    My use will be very limited, I fancy, if I use it at all. My opinion, of course. But being of steely nerves, I will give it a go now and then.

Be good. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Do you mean by "voice not operative" that you can't use voice input at all or Cortana does not respond to "Hey Cortana"?

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good day, 517. It does not respond to the chalenge of "Hey Cortana"? therefore nothing else will reply to my plea. My local is USA but maybe my ISP lies to this and tells her that I am not in the US of A. No big concern at all, this Cortana is still being developed and I might try it again when W-10 goes RTM.
    Have a great day.

Edit. I tried a click on the small search circle in the task bar and Cortana came up but no voice input recognized, I could type on the KB "News" and some news came up. Now to find a way to make the mic active. Any idea ?

Edit-2 ! It is working. Amazing what one can do if paying attention. After clicking on the small circle, I noticed this mic icon to the end of the search line prompt. I used it and Cortana came up with a greeting. I spoke : " Windows 10 forum " and a full list of URLs to access that forum came up but not the forum itself. We are learning to walk to run later on. Thanks for your interest, Joe.

Edit-3 ! I got back to Cortana and spoke : " JoeP 517 : and got a few pixes. Which one of these stellar types is you ?

Have a great Cortana day (?) Jean.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2015-02-05 at 20:34.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    To respond to "Hey Cortana" you must enable it in the Cortana settings. Click on the hamburger (three bar) icon, select settings, turn on "Let Cortana respond when you say Hey Cortana".

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Benard (2015-02-05)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, hello.
    Cortana is having a ball with my french accent. You should see what I get when I try to communicate.
    I found the hamburger and "ON"d the Let Cortana etc. It did not change anything. Clicking on the small mic at the right end of the "Ask me anything " screen does the trick for me.

OK, now the Hey command works, I have to be very careful of my enunciation. Have a great day. Jean.

Thanks
    I've been using Cortana on my Windows phone for several months. She's about gotten used to my southern accent, but I have to curb the drawl and make each word distinct. Cortana will take a very large search string and parse it out very well, indeed, provided one's enunciation is distinct. On my phone I just asked for "Windows Secrets Forums Windows 10 Forum", and after a false go at "Windows Sacred Forums..." and a more carefully stated request, it pulled up a link (among others) to this page.

The more you use Cortana, the more acclimated she gets to your tastes and whims. In another thread here I posted that I can say, "Play me some music" and Cortana will respond, "Alright; shuffling your playlist", and then start a random song. A few months ago when I was working on a project, I had to call in every morning to a clerk to let them know I would be on the company property. One morning I said "Call Debbie" instead of "Call Donna". Cortana replied, "I don't have a work number for Debbie". There is a mobile and a home number in my phone for Debbie, but no work number. The huge database in The Cloud that is "Cortana" parsed that I only call work numbers at 5:30 AM, elected not to call Debbie, and told me. I then said, "Call Donna" (must have been sleepy that morning) and Cortana replied, "Alright, calling Donna, work."

Which all goes to explain why Cortana needs a MS account, in order to "learn" your tastes, whims, etc. and store them in your personal folder in that vast database.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I've been using Cortana on my Windows phone for several months. .

The more you use Cortana, the more acclimated she gets to your tastes and whims. In another thread here I posted that I can say, "Play me some music" and Cortana will respond, "Alright; shuffling your playlist", and then start a random song.
    Ditto here. I just say, "shuffle" and Cortana says "Ok, shuffling your music". I can also say "next track", "pause", "resume". I'm really enjoying my Lumia 635 Windows Phone (my very first smart phone).

Rich

Thanks
    "Open the pod bay door, HAL"

That worked fine in the movie '2001, a Space Odyssey' but I can't get my own HAL 9000 to respond to me, when I address him verbally.
    Maybe because he's just a desktop PC. Eh?

I'm a DIY kind of guy and I think I can get along fine without Cortana.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounger
    Thanks
    In addition, keep in mind that Cortana shares everything she knows about us with her friends at Microsoft (and their advertising partners.) Do we really want Cortana - or Siri or Google Now - to know that much about us? Big corporations have shown themselves incapable of protecting our personal data, making it easy for hackers to cobble together an increasingly perfect copy of our identity.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Ranger View Post
    In addition, keep in mind that Cortana shares everything she knows about us with her friends at Microsoft (and their advertising partners.) Do we really want Cortana - or Siri or Google Now - to know that much about us? Big corporations have shown themselves incapable of protecting our personal data, making it easy for hackers to cobble together an increasingly perfect copy of our identity.
    While I agree with all that, the voice assistants like Cortana and Siri are easily the most exciting development in computer interfaces since the GUI. And I think that they might be difficult to achieve (and certainly not portable) without that back-end server system to support it.

Voice recognition software never really caught on and became a universal service. Issues of cost, reliability and market fragmentation always held back the technology, no matter what the ambitions of the corporations were.

Now I see potential for a new way to support people with physical challenges. There is the potential for tiny, screenless devices (think of a ring or watch, or even a button). We speak to each other, why not speak to the computer?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post

That worked fine in the movie '2001, a Space Odyssey' but I can't get my own HAL 9000 to respond to me, when I address him verbally.

Of course! But, voice dial on a cell phone (at no charge!) is great when one is driving. So is saying, "Where is the nearest Staples?" and having voice navigation start giving directions to the nearest Staples. It is also convenient to say, "Remind me to get Everglades Seasoning the next time I'm in Publix", and a couple of days later hear, "Pick up Everglades Seasoning" when I walk into Publix.

Of course I can get along without Cortana; we all can. I got along fine without a PC before they were invented, as well. But I've learned to appreciate what well-crafted tools can accomplish when put to good use.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Ranger View Post
    Through my credit union I have a Visa Debit card. They track my buying habits. A couple of years ago, I got a call from Visa one afternoon. The lady on the phone said that my card had been used to purchase gasoline at the same store 3 time that day, and asked if I had any knowledge of those purchases. I told her that I was the one who made those purchases; filled my truck, then my wife's car, then went back for gas for my mower. She thanked me for the confirmation, and said that my card had been flagged because of the unusual activity. I thanked her and Visa for having my back.

A little over a year ago, I got a call from my credit union. The lady said that they had received a call from Visa informing them that Visa had hot-listed my card (no purchases would be accepted) because of unusual purchases. There had been 4 purchases the previous day that totaled over $1000, and they were made out of my home state. She named the purchases and amounts and locations, and I told her that definitely wasn't me; I hadn't left the state or made any online purchase. She then asked if I had given out my card number over the phone anytime recently, and I had, to get a refund to my account for an order I had placed for an item that was no longer available. I couldn't get that done online; the web site wasn't setup for it. It was a parts supplier for household appliances.

She told me she would "burn" my card, and asked me to visit the office to get an immediate replacement. She also told me that Visa would give me a refund for all fraudulent purchases. I visited the office that afternoon, got a new card number, went through the charges on my account with her and we flagged everything that was not mine. I asked when my money would be available, and she looked up from her monitor and said, "Now."

Bottom line is, are there legitimate and useful reasons for tracking purchases and buying habits? Absolutely. Do the merchants from whom I make online purchases know who I am? Absolutely. Are there databases out there that have lots and lots of personal information collected on most (if not all) of us? Without a doubt. Am I overly concerned about it? Not really; YMMV. One can't un-crack an egg or un-ring a bell.

Don't activate Cortana if you don't want to; it's optional, your choice. Deal with trusted merchants, use only secure sites for purchases, use only credit/debit cards that have fraud protections guaranteed, and use common sense online. The alternative is to unplug your internet connection, search the newspaper and the yellow pages, and make all your purchases in person, with cash.

Unleash Windows

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Trev (2015-02-06)

Thanks
    Everglades Seasoning
    Ok I'll bite, what is Everglades Seasoning?? powdered Aligator ?

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Ok I'll bite, what is Everglades Seasoning?? powdered Aligator ?
    "Everglades Seasoning A unique blend of imported herbs and spices that add that down-home southern flavor to all your favorite recipes. Everglades "Original" Seasoning doubles as a rub for all meats, including steaks, ribs, chicken, pork and venison, and as a natural meat tenderizer. Sprinkle this flavor enhancer on potatoes, veggies, pasta, rice, grits, fish, eggs—anything you want to get compliments on!"

You could have asked Cortana, "What is everglades seasoning?" and you'd have gotten the link.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Doc! How goes it Bud? Haven't seen you since the old Lockergnome days. I don't play Cortana either. I have an Iphone with Siri. Haven't done much with it.

drc

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast