Lounger
    Thanks

Resize Excel Chart

Hi,

Does anyone know how to resize an Excel Chart - Windows 7 Professional - Office 2010 Professional.

I used to do this a couple of years ago, but it seems that MS has provided an update which prohibits Charts from being resized manually -and which MS says is an "Intended feature for security purposes" - RUBBISH !

I'm sure that there must be an update that I can remove that would resolve this.

I have tried solutions such as disabling addons, making changes to the Registry - but to no satisfaction.

Many thanks

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Try a system restore to a point prior to the mal behavior

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Maudibe. Thanks for your reply.

I use disk imaging instead of Windows Restore - and whilst I could go back to one of my earlier disk images - the cons of doing this are :

1. When I update Windows and/ Office, without knowing which update is the source of my frustrations, the same issue would recur. It seems that the resizing charts issue has been there for at least 2 years, and would take too much time to figure out which is the culprit update.
    2. It might invalidate some of the software purchases (just a small possibility) when I try to reinstall them

It would be much simpler if somebody knew and could point me to the culprit update - so I could uninstall it.

Rgds

Thanks
    Mike,

As a workaround until you find a permanent solution, you could use VBA to resize the chart.

Resize Chart.png

Place in a standard module
    Code:
    Public Sub Smaller()
    ActiveSheet.Shapes(1).ScaleWidth 0.75, msoFalse
    ActiveSheet.Shapes(1).ScaleHeight 0.75, msoFalse
    End Sub

Public Sub larger()
    ActiveSheet.Shapes(1).ScaleWidth 1.25, msoFalse
    ActiveSheet.Shapes(1).ScaleHeight 1.25, msoFalse
    End Sub
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounger
    Thanks
    Figured out how to resize the chart - but it would still be nice to know which is the culprit update that makes CHARTsheets dysfunctional

The workaround is to select the chart, then move it to a new Sheet - rename the sheet as required - then View > Uncheck Gridlines

So basically, MS has made restrictions on CHARTsheets (which they claim is an intended feature) - but permits all changes to charts within a WORKsheet

When creating a chart from a range, using the F11 function, the same procedure would apply.

Hope this helps anyone facing similar issues

Mike

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the macro. Created a module and applied your VBA.

As regards using the macro for a Chart in a CHARTsheet, it only resizes objects that are within the chart itself - such as textboxes - but not to the elements in the chart or the chart size itself.

The Chart size in the CHARTsheet is restricted by Page Setup - and CANNOT be Scaled as compared to a WORKsheet - please see the differences in the attached images.

When I move the chart to a WORKsheet, yes, the macro does resize the chart - but it's probably better to manually resize the chart and see the effects in realtime - instead of changing the parameters within the VBA.

Anyway, as I will only be resizing these charts about once a year or so - probably easier to use my workaround.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi. Posted a message on the board instead of replying to your message. Sorry.