Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows "E-mail this" option doesn't work with web-based email

Have been reading a little about Windows 10 and its new features. This prompted memories of a missing or, rather, a limited feature of past versions of Windows. It's been so long since i tried to use it that i've forgotten exactly how it works. Anyway, it was an option where if you were doing something or writing something in Windows you could click on "E-mail this" (or similar words) and Microsoft Outlook (the Outlook that's part of Microsoft Office) would open. However, if you don't use Outlook or other installed/internal email program then you get a message saying something to the effect of "no email client found" or "no email client installed", etc. Hopefully, some of you here will be familiar with what i'm describing.

The reason for posting this is that web-based email has become the norm for many more people than it was in the past, and i wonder if Windows 10 will somehow integrate that into the new OS so you can choose "email this" and Windows will open Hotmail (OK, now it's called Outlook.com). Does anyone know if this might happen with Win 10?

Thanks
    If you right click on a file one option is 'send to' and one option on that is 'Mail recipient'. On mine it opens Outlook (2003 - I haven't removed it yet!). What it does sans outlook I don't know. But you could always suggest it!

BTW I'm on Win 8.1 - it rocks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    If you right click on a file one option is 'send to' and one option on that is 'Mail recipient'. On mine it opens Outlook (2003 - I haven't removed it yet!). What it does sans outlook I don't know. But you could always suggest it!

BTW I'm on Win 8.1 - it rocks!
    Yes, that's the feature i was thinking of. Thanks for jogging my memory. There's a website for Windows feature suggestions and i just posted the suggestion to make that Send to / Mail recipient compatible with web-based mail. I see no reason why they can't allow us to copy/paste our email website address which would then automatically open on the screen ....

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Except that all webmail is different so the recipient and subject are likely to get lost in the process.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Except that all webmail is different so the recipient and subject are likely to get lost in the process.

cheers, Paul
    Ahh, good point. Maybe Microsoft could at least make that feature work with their own web-based Hotmail/Outlook.com which would be nice for their 150 million or so users!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Looking in IE's Tools, Internet Options or Control Panel, Internet Options and the Programs tab's Set programs, I don't see any way to set Web-base E-Mail, only installed E-Mail Clients.

Thanks
    Is it possible to add an installed client like Thunderbird to the send to menu? A quick Google doesn't reveal anything useful...

Thanks
    Is it possible to add an installed client like Thunderbird to the send to menu? A quick Google doesn't reveal anything useful...
    If you right-click a file and left-click "Send to\Mail recipient" your default email program will open a new message window with the file attached. If nothing happens, or the wrong program's message window opens then you need to go to "Control Panel\Default Programs\Set your default programs", click on the email program you want as default, then click "Set this program as default".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-01-31)

Thanks
    Magic - I should have thought of default programs!

So the answer for starvinmarvin is to use an email client (e.g. T'bird) and set it as default. I have all my web based emails set up in Thunderbird.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    But the OP was talking about those who don't want to use an email client. It may be possible in the future, but I don't think it is at the moment.

Unless anyone knows different...

Thanks
    I didn't read it as he didn't want to use an installed client but that he wasn't using one.
    I can't see the problem in using Thunderbird or any other client. As I said, I can open my web based emails in T'bird - it's quicker and easier than through a browser. However if starvinmarvin doesn't want to use an installed client then he will probably be disappointed as they don't have a separate window when 'write/compose' is pressed, unlike T'bird et al.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    they don't have a separate window when 'write/compose' is pressed
    My Domain Host uses a program called SmarterMail on their server for my account which does open a new window for Compose and Reply but my ISP uses uses MagicMail which does not open a new window for Compose or Reply. Hotmail.com does not open a new window but Gmail opens a small window on top of the message list.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't read it as he didn't want to use an installed client but that he wasn't using one.
    I can't see the problem in using Thunderbird or any other client. As I said, I can open my web based emails in T'bird - it's quicker and easier than through a browser. However if starvinmarvin doesn't want to use an installed client then he will probably be disappointed as they don't have a separate window when 'write/compose' is pressed, unlike T'bird et al.
    LOL - guess i should have been clearer. i prefer web-based email and don't want any email downloaded to or residing on my computer. This preference works OK except for that occasional moment when it would be handy to right-click on a file and choose Send to/Mail recipient. It's almost as easy to open Hotmail and create an email using the Attach feature. As Microsoft is fine-tuning Windows 10 and working on a brand new internet browser it struck me that this is an opportune moment for them to integrate the right-click/Send to feature with web-based email so i made the suggestion on their website.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Currently, you can make webmail default in browsers, but not system-wide as far as I know:

How to make webmail your default email in Chrome, Firefox, and Opera (even IE, if Gmail)

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-01-31 at 13:14.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the Mailto extension for Chrome browser can be useful, but i use a more direct method. When i open Chrome it's set to open a set of 4 or 5 pages i use a lot including Hotmail. To do that you open the pages you want as "Start pages" in Chrome, then go to Settings in Chrome / On Startup and click on "Open specific page or set of pages" and select "Use current pages". Now, each time you open the browser it will immediately load those pages/tabs in the same left to right order.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast