2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cloning a Hard Drive with Macrium Reflect

I bought a new external Hard Drive. I partitioned it with a 16.5GB sector and the balance of the drive left to hold the clone of my Computer's Hard Drive. When I go through the cloning procedure I don't seem to be able to set the target as the large partitioned (and empty) section of the new Hard drive. I get a message that the 16.5GB section is about to be overwritten. I, of course, stop at that point. I assume that someone is going to be able to tell me what to do (they always do). When that happens and I have a clone safely waiting for the possible coming disaster, I guess the next step is to periodically clear that sector of the Hard drive and re-clone my PC's hard drive.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Miv,

Sounds like you're trying to do a "disk clone," not a "drive clone." I don't use Macrium, but feel the problem is that you're setting the target Disk, not Drive. Are you really trying to Clone the drive (for the purpose of swapping drives), or are you trying to make an Image backup, in case the main drive goes South at a later date??

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2015-01-30 at 02:10.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

Miv (2015-01-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Miv,

Sounds like you're trying to do a "disk clone," not a "drive clone." I don't use Macrium, but feel the problem is that you're setting the target Disk, not Drive. Are you really trying to Clone the drive (for the purpose of swapping drives), or are you trying to make an Image backup, in case the main drive goes South at a later date??

Zig
    I am trying to clone a disk, as suggested by Macrium. The purpose is in the event of, for instance a hard drive failure, I will be able to reboot from the clone, put in a new hard drive, copy the clone to it and the problem is over. Another option in Macrium is an Image backup. I did this and had no trouble with the other partition. The reason I switched to clone is that I read about the two and decided that the quickest and easiest recovery would be, for me, with a clone. Thank you for the speedy answer.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Cloning a drive is used when you want to replace a drive with a newer one. You don't need to create partitions because the clone program will do that for you, which is why you get the message.
    If you want to back up the existing drive - based on your more recent post to the editors - then you need to make an image, not a clone. An image is a copy of your disk structure and all its data, that is then stored in a file or files. These files can be used to re-create your original disk, or produce a clone.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

dried_squid (2015-02-21),Miv (2015-01-29)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Miv View Post
    I am trying to clone a disk, as suggested by Macrium. The purpose is in the event of, for instance a hard drive failure, I will be able to reboot from the clone, put in a new hard drive, copy the clone to it and the problem is over. Another option in Macrium is an Image backup. I did this and had no trouble with the other partition. The reason I switched to clone is that I read about the two and decided that the quickest and easiest recovery would be, for me, with a clone. Thank you for the speedy answer.
    It seems you have the two techniques a bit mixed up. Where you are saying, "I will be able to reboot from the clone, put in a new hard drive, copy the clone to it and the problem is over", that isn't how it's done. With a clone, you first remove your failed drive, put the clone in its place, and boot the PC. That's it. The clone is the new drive.

That's the reason, when you're trying to make a clone, the software it going to the first partition on the drive. That's how cloning works. You clone to an empty drive, or an empty partition at the beginning of the drive that is as big or bigger than the drive you are wanting to clone.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

dried_squid (2015-02-21),Miv (2015-01-29)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Cloning a drive is used when you want to replace a drive with a newer one. You don't need to create partitions because the clone program will do that for you, which is why you get the message.
    If you want to back up the existing drive - based on your more recent post to the editors - then you need to make an image, not a clone. An image is a copy of your disk structure and all its data, that is then stored in a file or files. These files can be used to re-create your original disk, or produce a clone.

cheers, Paul
    The partition was created to save a bunch of stuff that is not necessary to the hard drive. I called that partition Drive N. The large partition (I named X) was for the creation of a Clone or Image of my Hard drive. I created an Image, but after reading about the two I thought that a Clone would be better for me. The ability to restart the computer and directing it to boot from the Clone appealed to me as simpler and faster. After a new internal Hard drive was installed I could clone from the external hard drive and I would be back, as they say, in business.
    It surprises me that I was able to make an image on the Partition called X without disturbing the other partition, N, but was unable to do the same thing with a clone.

Thanks
    It surprises me that I was able to make an image on the Partition called X without disturbing the other partition, N, but was unable to do the same thing with a clone.
    A clone must begin at the beginning of a hard drive. It can't start past the beginning.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    It seems you have the two techniques a bit mixed up. Where you are saying, "I will be able to reboot from the clone, put in a new hard drive, copy the clone to it and the problem is over", that isn't how it's done. With a clone, you first remove your failed drive, put the clone in its place, and boot the PC. That's it. The clone is the new drive.

That's the reason, when you're trying to make a clone, the software it going to the first partition on the drive. That's how cloning works. You clone to an empty drive, or an empty partition at the beginning of the drive that is as big or bigger than the drive you are wanting to clone.
    As I understand it, and that may well be a stretch, You go into a section ( I don't remember the name, but I think I know how to get there, and indicate the Hard disk you want the computer to boot from, save it and restart. If I have got this wrong, please tell me.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried to clone from the begining as I want the entire Drive cloned.

Thanks
    I have tried to clone from the begining as I want the entire Drive cloned.
    The only way that can happen is if the drive you're wanting to clone is less that 16.5GB in size, because that's the first partition you created on the target disk. The cloning software is going to start at the beginning of the disk; if the partition is too small, the clone can't continue.

The target for the clone has to be as big as or bigger than the drive being cloned. Cloning is making an exact duplicate of a hard drive. That means it starts at the beginning of the target disk, and the target disk has to be the same size or larger than the disk being cloned.

Unleash Windows

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can't clone a disk to a partition, they are different things.
    If you clone a partition to a partition, the new disk will not boot (most likely).

To recover your disk in the event of a disaster, make an image saved to file. You can make several images from different machines and store them in different files on the same external disk. Next you make a recovery boot CD / USB from the backup software you used to make the image. Recovery is done by booting from the CD / USB and re-creating the disk from the image files.

cheers, Paul

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

dried_squid (2015-02-21)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    The only way that can happen is if the drive you're wanting to clone is less that 16.5GB in size, because that's the first partition you created on the target disk. The cloning software is going to start at the beginning of the disk; if the partition is too small, the clone can't continue.

The target for the clone has to be as big as or bigger than the drive being cloned. Cloning is making an exact duplicate of a hard drive. That means it starts at the beginning of the target disk, and the target disk has to be the same size or larger than the disk being cloned.
    The target for the clone is 449 GB. It is depicted graphically as being in front of the smaller partition. When the information box appears showing what partitions (they are called Drives X and N) are to be overwritten Drive X (449 GB) is the first listed then Drive N (16,5 GB) is the last listed. I was hoping that someone would point out a better way to indicate the target.

Thanks
    The target for the clone is 449 GB. It is depicted graphically as being in front of the smaller partition. When the information box appears showing what partitions (they are called Drives X and N) are to be overwritten Drive X (449 GB) is the first listed then Drive N (16,5 GB) is the last listed. I was hoping that someone would point out a better way to indicate the target.
    It seems that your cloning software is telling you that it's going to overwrite the entire drive, both partitions. Here is a link from Macrium Support Knowledgebase, How to clone a disk. Pay particular attention to step 4, and take a look at step 9.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-01-30 at 09:59.

Unleash Windows

18. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Miv (2015-01-30)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you that did it. I saw those instructions and didn't really think about dragging the parts I wanted cloned (even with the big red arrow). I know you are thinking that there is no limit to some peoples stupidity, but here I am. Thankyou again for your help.