Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Can't install 9926

I'm using Oracle VM to install 9926 but it's run out of disk space. I can't see where I can increase it, any ideas please?

Thanks
    Have I put this in the wrong forum?

Thanks
    Not now the forum has been created!
    Sorry, since I only do Real Machines, I cannot assist...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    OK, thanks BATcher. I've managed to clear some space and installed 9926 (I'll comment in due corse). But the disk only has 25Gb and though I've looked everywhere I can't see how to increase that. Any ideas anyone?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    -mdb, hello. My 9926 uses 32 GBs and I have a very light install, not too many apps of my own. With 25 GBs, you will have a problem. I have not seen such a small HD since the days of the AT machines. Are you on VM ? Jean.

Thanks
    Yup, Oracle VM Virtualbox (as stated in my initial post )

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Yup, Oracle VM Virtualbox (as stated in my initial post )
    I install each build version in a VHD. Current 9926, updated and loaded with Office 97, Windows Live apps and some more junk for testing. I set the VHD to a fixed size of 30 GB and have 7.4 GB free. Just do a "hey Cortana, install Windows 8 on a VHD" and you will get several how-to listings.

This requires the iso mounted as a virtual disk, Windows AIK and some command line work if you don't find already prepared code in the search lists. EasyBCD is a lifesaver also.

Sounds like a lot of work but it really isn't. I build on one machine and then copy the vhd to another machine and it gets all the drivers for that motherboard/machine and sets it up perfectly.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Thanks
    Going all the way back to ?????? I've always installed Beta versions of new OS's on spare hard drives that I have laying around.
    And, after being a computer tech for 35 years, I have lots of spare HD's.

In this old pic, I actually have TWO HD's connect externally, usually it would be just one. I think I was cloning one drive to another in this picture.

It looks messy, but then, I don't have anyone around to gripe at me about my mess. It works!
    I just unplug the data cable from my main drive and plug it into my 'external' drive, so the new OS never sees my Main OS.

Then the install has plenty of room and it looks completely normal to the new OS.

Using an old Railroading term, "never the trains shall meet". I change it slightly to read, "never the OS's shall meet".

On my laptop(s) when using them for Beta Testing, I create a second partition where I store a Backup Image File, of the Main OS.
    Then I reformat the C: partition and install the Beta version there. I can always restore the original OS after I'm done Beta Testing,
    and it's as if it never existed. No harm, No foul. (and "never the trains shall meet")

Just one old tech's solution to a sticky problem.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2015-02-10 at 11:08.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I'm using Oracle VM to install 9926 but it's run out of disk space. I can't see where I can increase it, any ideas please?
    Hi,

I do have experience in this area; however, not, specifically w/ Oracle. My reference is VPC & Hyper-v. It has seemed that ppl fare better sometimes w/ Hyper-V than Oracle. But, there should be basic similarity. Space is need for the vm's vhd. Do you have the option of putting it on an external drive? There is a setting that tells the vhd where to live. 2nd, that vhd will have box w/ a default size... I think in Hyper-V it's 128 or something BUT, that can be modified... I put mine @ 250G... the least one should allow for x86 Win10 is 50G. 3rd, there is another setting to assign the amount of RAM... if x64, should give it a minimum of 4GB.

Best idea can give you is grab another drive, just something small, if no drive available now. Mine is on my 1TB external drive. If you have one for backup, use it, should have some usable space. Point is, the vhd can be put anywhere... doesn't have to be on C:

Hope this helps.

I, really, do recommend Hyper-V, though. Oh yeah, I did try Oracle some time ago when beta testing a prior Windows OS... I went to VPC (or back to it) instead, @ that time.

I wrote a piece on instructions for Hyper-V... Not sure if it would be or any use to you or not. Basic concept should be close (to Oracle). Anyway...

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg

Thanks
    I think people have misread what I wrote - or maybe I didn't express it very well (probably the latter as more than one has done so). The VM is on a 200Gb partition which has 110Gb free space including the 157Mb VM folder. It's the virtual hard disk within the VM which is only 25Gb - and I can't find any way of increasing that. That's the problem as it severely restricts what SW I can download to the VM to test it - and has now (with 9926) caused a problem with upgrading.

I think I'll try Hyper v, but not until there's a new upgrade of 10 - I don't want to download 9926 again! If you can point at a Hyper V for dummies type page that would be great!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I think people have misread what I wrote - or maybe I didn't express it very well (probably the latter as more than one has done so). The VM is on a 200Gb partition which has 110Gb free space including the 157Mb VM folder. It's the virtual hard disk within the VM which is only 25Gb - and I can't find any way of increasing that. That's the problem as it severely restricts what SW I can download to the VM to test it - and has now (with 9926) caused a problem with upgrading.

I think I'll try Hyper v, but not until there's a new upgrade of 10 - I don't want to download 9926 again! If you can point at a Hyper V for dummies type page that would be great!
    Ok, yes, thanks. That's sort of what I thought, but, glad to have it confirmed. Yes, Hyper-V gives a box to set the vhd size and can be lots more than 25Gb.

Sure I can & I, even, include pretty pictures

Shall point @ it right here -------------> Hyper-V for Dummies (j/k)

Cheers,
    Drew
    000I054slL4W.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-02-11)

Thanks
    I'll give it a whirl next time there's a new edition of 10.
    I suspect that I should have specified more space for the Oracle VM. I wonder also if it was the cause of the CPU running at 80-100% most of the time.

Thanks
    I realize that I'm "late for the party" on this thread, but when you downloaded 9926, did you save the ISO to your hard drive? If so, you can mount the ISO in a virtual DVD in Hyper-V and configure the VM to boot the virtual DVD to install 9926.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've run into the same situation a few times myself. Here's the instructions for how to increase the size of the VHD in VirtualBox: http://www.howtogeek.com/124622/how-to-enlarge-a-virtual-machines-disk-in-virtualbox-or-vmware/

Last edited by strollin; 2015-02-24 at 11:33.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to strollin For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-02-24)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I realize that I'm "late for the party" on this thread, but when you downloaded 9926, did you save the ISO to your hard drive? If so, you can mount the ISO in a virtual DVD in Hyper-V and configure the VM to boot the virtual DVD to install 9926.
    Unfortunately not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast