New Lounger
    Thanks

Field Codes and Paths

Hello all,

I could not find the answer to this question elsewhere so I am sorry if it has already been answered. I am working with a document in Word 2010 where I have used field codes to inset a link to am image. When viewing the field codes however Word does not show the entire path of the image, for example the field code will show:

{INCLUDEPICTURE"examplefolder/image.jpg\* MERGEFORMAT\d}

When I want it to show:

{INCLUDEPICTURE"c:/user/documents/examplefolder/image.jpg\* MERGEFORMAT\d}

Is there a way to make Word 2010 show the entire path within the field code?

Thank you

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    A field code can only display what it actually contains. If the path has been input as "examplefolder/image.jpg", then that's all the field code can show. Are you sure what youre seeing isn't a UNC path on a network? Ordinarily, however, one would expect to see:
    {INCLUDEPICTURE "c:\\users\\username\\documents\\examplefolder\\im age.jpg " \d}
    The '\* MERGEFORMAT' switch can usually be deleted.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if this is relevant but FYI I am working within Word 2010 but the actual document is a .doc not .docx.

Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    A field code can only display what it actually contains.
    To be clear I have inserted images using the insert image dialog box and then specifying "Link to File". Does using this method only give the field code the name of the Parent folder and the filename itself?

Are you sure what youre seeing isn't a UNC path on a network?
    In this example no, but coincidentally I have linked to images on a networked drive on another document using the same method as above. Is there a way to have the field code show the entire UNC path?

Ordinarily, however, one would expect to see: {INCLUDEPICTURE "c:\\users\\username\\documents\\examplefolder \\im age.jpg " \d}
    This is what I would like to achieve.

Trying to insert a link to an image just in the sample images folder I am getting something like {INCLUDEPICTURE"../../Public/Pictures/Sample%20Pictures/Desert.jpg"\*} is there a way to have the entire path shown replacing the ../../ ?

Thanks for helping out!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I'm not sure if this is relevant but FYI I am working within Word 2010 but the actual document is a .doc not .docx.
    I figured as much, because Word won't display INCLUDEPICTURE field codes in a docx file.
    I have inserted images using the insert image dialog box and then specifying "Link to File". Does using this method only give the field code the name of the Parent folder and the filename itself?
    No, you ordinarily get the full path if it points to a local folder, or a UNC path for a network alias.
    coincidentally I have linked to images on a networked drive on another document using the same method as above. Is there a way to have the field code show the entire UNC path?
    Trying to insert a link to an image just in the sample images folder I am getting something like {INCLUDEPICTURE"../../Public/Pictures/Sample%20Pictures/Desert.jpg"\*} is there a way to have the entire path shown replacing the ../../ ?
    What a UNC path typically returns is an alias, not a fully-qualified file path. Of course, if you know what the fully-qualified file path is, you can relace the alias with that in the field code - just be sure the get the separators right (i.e. \\ or / and not just \).
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]