Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Win update error code 8007371B

For several months now, my machine downloads about 12 to 15 updates, but fails to install them, giving me error code 8007371B. I googled it, and tried a couple files from sources I deemed trustworthy, with no effect. Windows seems to run fine, but start-up is really slow. I've run Trend Micro's online scan numerous times, and I'm currently running Avanquest fix it utilities, and Iolo System Mechanic. Nothing indicates any sort of infection. I'm stumped. Thanks for any guidance.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Is my description confusing?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fridgitator View Post
    Is my description confusing?
    Only as to what you have tried.

Have you used the Fixit to reset Windows Update Components http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 or run the System Update Readiness Tool http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=20858

It could also be because of something you have installed, so trying the updates in a clean boot is something to try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-gb

If all else fails, try installing just one update at a time and rather than installing them from Windows Updates (if that doesn't work), Google the KB number and you should get a direct MS link to download from.

You could also try opening a command prompt as an administrator and enter sfc /scannow to see what that reports.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-01 at 16:24.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your response, Sudo. I have tried installing each of the updates individually, with no success. I haven't seen a Fixit option on this machine. I'm going to try the links you provided. Thanks again for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was unable to find a link earlier for the MS Fixit Tool 50202 but this article has a direct link for it if you need it. https://www.winhelp.us/reinstall-windows-update.html

As it says, select Save instead of Run and use the normal Fixit method first and if required, boot the .exe again to use the Aggressive mode.

These commands are the manual fix for when Windows doesn't recognize your install as genuine, but they contain aspects that can resolve WU problems.

They will also remove your WU history, but that doesn't matter.

Open a command prompt as an administrator then copy & paste the commands at the command prompt where they will auto run - if any appear to be sticking, just press enter.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

Then enter exit to close the command window and try the updates again.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-02-02 at 06:10.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again. I'll try that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge Omar.

As your question bears no relation to this thread, you should open a new one of your own, but at the moment it's speculative as to what MS are going to do.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good evening, folks. Sorry I haven't responded more promptly. Life and all that...
    I followed your advice. Didn't seem to make any progress until I followed Sudo15's command prompt instructions. I've downloaded and rebooted three times so far. Each time, I get more than half. Each time, There are more on the list. Seeing as it's been months since any have installed, I'm thrilled. It looks like I'll get all of them in the next day or so. I'm not done quite yet, but it looks like I'm almost there. Still at it with newfound optimism. Thanks so much. I hope to post an unqualified success before the weekend.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Clearing the update history which the SoftwareDistribution command does can help but it sounds as something is still sticking but that could be because it's playing catch up.

Are you still getting fails and any different error codes ?

Try running Disk Cleanup as an administrator and that should clean out any obsolete WUs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It went okay for a couple tries, then back to the same thing. I'll try the disc cleanup. How do I make sure I'm doing it as administrator?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It went okay for a couple tries, then back to the same thing. I'll try the disc cleanup. How do I make sure I'm doing it as administrator?
    You need to have an update from Oct 2013 installed which you can get from here if you don't have it installed http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2852386

Check if you have KB2852386 in your Installed Updates.

To then run Disk Cleanup as an admin, go Start - type disk cleanup - right click on Disk Cleanup and select Run as administrator then follow the prompts - the default items are sufficient for the Windows Update clean out.

Are you still getting the same update fail error code ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, folks. I've tried all your suggestions several times, and I'm still unable to get it to update. In light of all the other factors- hardware problems, age of the machine, outgrowing hard drive- I'm convinced it's time to move on to another machine. I would like to ask a few questions about the process. Should I continue this thread, or start a new one with my other questions?
    Again, I'd like to thank all of you for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi, folks. I've tried all your suggestions several times, and I'm still unable to get it to update. In light of all the other factors- hardware problems, age of the machine, outgrowing hard drive- I'm convinced it's time to move on to another machine. I would like to ask a few questions about the process. Should I continue this thread, or start a new one with my other questions?
    Again, I'd like to thank all of you for your help.
    Probably best to start a new thread for that but are you still getting the same error code as after you have run some of the MS Fixits, they can change.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I get the same error code:8007371B

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I looked in device manager, and discovered that Disc 0 is only 19% free. I went to Best Buy to get a bigger hard drive. While there, I spoke with an HP rep who said that many of the symptoms I'm seeing, including failure to load updates could be caused by the lack of space on the hard drive. I backed up to cloud space on acronis, and I'm also going to wipe my backup drive and do a complete backup on it. Tomorrow, I'll install the new 3TB drive. I'm curious if Windows backup would be better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast