New Lounger
    Thanks

Noise (tiny white speckles) in printed image

After printing several 2 x 2" color passport photos on glossy photo paper (300dpi) I found noise (tiny white speckles) fairly uniformly distributed throughout the print. This noise does not appear on-screen even with 400% zoom. I tried both weak and strong noise reduction setting and the noise got worse!

These images printed fine on my daughter's high quality printer with new paper.

My printer is a 6 year old, middle-of-the-line Cannon MP620 multifunction ink jet printer. I do not print color images often and do not remember this problem in the past.

The photo glossy paper is from GQ (again, middle-of-the-road quality) but is more than 4 years old.

Could the noise be caused by this old paper? Can the printer cause such a problem?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think you should check that all of the ink colors are working correctly. Try a cleaning cycle and a test print?
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-01-30 at 17:48.

Thanks
    Two of your statements:

• "This noise does not appear on-screen even with 400% zoom.", and

• "These images printed fine on my daughter's high quality printer with new paper."

These would lead me to believe the problem lies with your printers ink cartridges, and that's why BruceR suggested the cleaning cycle, you may have to run the cleaning several times before you see any improvement; If you don't see an improvement it may be time for new cartridges.

Your concern about old paper could be tested by using some of your daughter's paper; You could also test by using a different photo and your paper, and a printer's mechanics that is used for light to moderate home use won't wear out even after 10years.

I'd be willing to bet that while your cartridges may be okay for general printing, you have found they are not for "high quality" work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd agree with the cleaning cycle and test print, perhaps followed by installing new cartridges and HP Premium photo paper (not especially new)

I printed our passport photos last fall on my 10-year-old HP 1315 all-in-one with no problems. The only problem I have had with this printer is that it often jams when trying to print an envelope.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WFS View Post
    I'd agree with the cleaning cycle and test print, perhaps followed by installing new cartridges and HP Premium photo paper (not especially new)

I printed our passport photos last fall on my 10-year-old HP 1315 all-in-one with no problems. The only problem I have had with this printer is that it often jams when trying to print an envelope.
    We have a Cannon Pixma3222 now and before that a HP Photosmart Plus B210 series.
    I found that with both printers, anytime I use envelopes, photo paper or any paper other than regular printing or copy paper I have to swap out the regular, put the medium in that I need and still apply just a bit of finger pressure to the new stack otherwise either printer jammed, not enough pressure to bend the medium mind you, just enough to ensure the next sheet or envelope is up against the feed rollers.

I imagine the printer mfg. can adjust that jamming out and I've replaced printers that did it, but the replacements did it to. I've been using the finger pressure trick for so long it's like second nature for me. Don't hurt to try it, make sure your guides are snug and apply just a bit of pressure to the stack, you might be pleasantly surprised.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dick_blaine View Post
    After printing several 2 x 2" color passport photos on glossy photo paper (300dpi) I found noise (tiny white speckles) fairly uniformly distributed throughout the print. This noise does not appear on-screen even with 400% zoom. I tried both weak and strong noise reduction setting and the noise got worse!

These images printed fine on my daughter's high quality printer with new paper.

My printer is a 6 year old, middle-of-the-line Cannon MP620 multifunction ink jet printer. I do not print color images often and do not remember this problem in the past.

The photo glossy paper is from GQ (again, middle-of-the-road quality) but is more than 4 years old.

Could the noise be caused by this old paper? Can the printer cause such a problem?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

You say that you tried noise reduction and the problem got worse, that leads me to think that the transfer of the file to the printer is not complete as noise reduction simplifies the overall data, therefore, if there is a communiation problem it would become more apparent with a picture of less quality.

It could be your drivers are out of date or not supported anymore, recent graphic software update/upgrade has rendered the printer obselete, but I think it could be a cable problem.

You need to start getting rid of possible culprits, cheapest first. As others have said, use other printer paper and on your daughters printer, if its the same or not cross that off the list. Update drivers and or graphic programs, if you have recently upgraded windows, you need to make sure everything is up to date. You can try changing the inks, but try printing a big black square with a few coloured ones on normal paper and then photo paper, if one or other does or doesnt produce the effect, then it could be just the graphics program (publisher or word processor) that is the source. Update and retry.

Last one I'd do is change the cable but check the connections first. If its usb, is the socket secure or loose and wobbly ? may need to change the I/O panel anyway. Are you running the cable next to a power source ? that can have an effect too.

But you have had a good innings with a 6 year old multifunction, time to upgrade to a laser methinks, better quality, less wastage and far less problems IMHO.

Have a look here, I've had this one for nearly two years (its a bigun) and its never broken down and the toner (you dont need to use genuine Dell either) has lasted ages. You'll never go back to inkjet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-C1765NF...+laser+printer