5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

User accounts passwords

The organization I volunteer at has a computer available for guest families that we help. There is only one very simple password that has been assigned to the log on administrator account; to me that is dangerous and I want to ensure much better security by assigning decently strong passwords to the hidden Administrator account, create a strong password to the log on user account, create a Standard account with a strong password and maybe even for the Guest account
    I use http://www.mytsoftware.com/dailyproj...n/PassGen.html to generate strong passwords
    --- I was looking for decently strong 8 character passwords and one of them was $RN8L'3h
    --- What is the character ' between the L & the 3? I can't seem to find it on my keyboard
    --- I generated a list of 10 passwords 8 character passwords and they have the following description according to that website:
    ------ Base 95 (~6.6) Password strength (52 bits) Should protect you against dedicated hackers
    I don't want to create passwords that are too strong because the guest families will become frustrated and they need access to that computer for homework and job searches
    --- My thought is to have them use the Standard account as a habit
    --- If they need to use the log on Administrator account one of the office personnel can get them in
    ------ Come to think of it, if they need an Administrator account for most of their work, I can certainly create one for them but I want to make sure the office has control of that computer and I don't want anyone installing software without the office personnel's knowledge
    --- Although I'll help them with their computers, I only do that when I can as I'm retired and don't want to get caught up in the "only a couple of hours a month and it turns out to be a full unpaid job": been there, done that
    I do have an Excel spreadsheet to record passwords with a 20 character very strong password
    --- I have checked out some password management programs but I haven't tried one yet but I don't think it would be a good idea to allow guest families to use them
    OK maybe I should try a password management program for myself for the experience
    --- But what I'm not sure of, if I don't like using one and want to uninstall it, I need to ensure it doesn't eliminate the passwords its keeping track of

Another consideration: create BIOS passwords. Not to have to sign in during boot up but to protect the BIOS from being accessed by just anyone. I did that when they had XP computers. The office now has 5 Win7 Enterprise and 2 Vista computers.
    --- My concern is due to the fact we have had times when someone did their own thing and caused issues on the available guests computers

Advice appreciated

Thanks
    --- I was looking for decently strong 8 character passwords and one of them was $RN8L'3h
    --- What is the character ' between the L & the 3? I can't seem to find it on my keyboard
    I think that is the back quote key that is on the upper right to the left of the 1 key on the keyboard.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was looking for decently strong 8 character passwords and one of them was $RN8L'3h

None so blind as them what will not see.

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2015-02-02 at 01:28.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could auto-logon the standard user and then tie the computer down with DeepFreeze. You will still be able to install updates, make changes etc, but the users won't be able to change anything.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-02-02)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry; unfortunately it doesn't work for me and that's ok. I just won't use a password that has that character until I know what it is and I don't have to pursue it

Zig "None so blind as them what will not see"
    --- What is that supposed to teach me?
    --- If I made a "duh" mistake, I would admit it and move on
    --- That character ' isn't on my keyboard; I had gone completely through my keyboard before I asked the question.
    --- Maybe it requires a key combination but I don't know yet and I'm not blindly going to use a password without knowing what character being used
    --- but as I stated I'm not concerned about pursuing it.

Thanks
    cmptrgy - I think Zig was suggesting that the 'mystery character' is an apostrophe, but perhaps didn't make this clear.

If I type $RN8L'3h (rather than copy/paste from your first post) using an apostrophe between L and 3 then it certainly looks like your mystery character to my tired old eyes.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-02-01 at 17:24.

Thanks
    Just to be more clear, on my keyboard it is the next key to the left of enter key. It has Quotation mark at the top of key " and the apostrophe mark on the bottom of the key'
    HTHKeyboard.JPG
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2015-02-01 at 20:20.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul thanks for the DeepFreeze recommendation. I pulled it up at http://www.faronics.com/products/deep-freeze/standard/ and will look into.

Thanks Rick & Zig as I'm always willing to learn something new when I can
    I checked out RN8L'3h and it becomes $RN8L’3h when I use the apostrophe

Thanks Lumpy95, I had tried what you posted as it certainly looks like it should be the character I’m wondering about but $RN8L'3h becomes $RN8L’3h. Why that character you pointed out comes out as an apostrophe I do not know but that's what it does

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not so sure as to the leading $ in your file, but the point I was trying to make was by highlighting in red the " ' "symbol. Note that the symbol I typed is vertical, and not slanted to the right. I agree with Lumpy & Rick that it looks like an apostrophe.

You might also try poking around in the Character Map program in Windows (Windows|System32|Charmap.exe) to see if that gives any more insight.

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2015-02-02 at 01:31.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-02-02)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's a good idea to check out the character map

That character is indeed vertical.
    In checking out the original password vs. attempts to duplicate it, I increase the font to 20 so it's easy to compare
    I am using my ACER laptop tablet and the key Lumpy included produces the single apostrophe as I mention
    I went over to my desktop computer and compared the results with a USB keyboard vs. a PS2 keyboard and the results produce a reverse apostrophe
    --- That's another mystery to me

Whoa, I just used that key right here in this sentence and it does produce the vertical ' character
    But it still produces the single apostrophe in MSFT Word on this very same laptop and the desktop still produces the reverse apostrophe from each one of the different keyboards. I use MSFT Word 2000, although it doesn't explain the different results between the laptop keyboard & the desktop keyboards, could it be that MSFT Word 2000 is the factor?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Word tends to make assumptions about apostrophes and quotes. Try it in Notepad to be sure.

cheers, Paul

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-02-02)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I generated a new list of passwords this morning and a couple of them included the vertical apostrophe:
    --- One of them being du0v#'v0 which I copied and pasted into a Word document
    --- Then I repeated my tests on both my laptop/tablet and my desktop to double-check what I am actually getting by typing the keyboard key that displays the vertical apostrophe and each one does in fact result with the normal apostrophe ‘ as already referred to

Zig you are correct, the vertical apostrophe is available in the Character Map: in more than one place actually

Paul, you are also correct; Notepad does result in the vertical apostrophe
    --- So I definitely learned something new today

And so it’s known, the list of generated passwords from that website does produce a simple text list

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Whoa, I just used that key right here in this sentence and it does produce the vertical ' character
    That's what I meant by "None so blind..." - you had used the symbol that you supposedly couldn't reproduce, in your original posting.

Zig

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm all set on understanding how I'll manage passwords plus the vertical apostrophe in the password I was wondering about has been solved so I'm going to mark this thread as solved