Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Crashed and I Don't Know why

I started Belarc Advisor to get some info on my system. It indicated there was an update needed and I allowed the update. I left the computer to go eat and when I returned the computer was shut off. I restarted and received a message to the effect that windows had shut down unexpectedly and offering me options on what mode to use to start Windows. I restarted in Normal Mode. When I reached the desktop I got a another brief message that Windows had shut down unexpectedly and Windows was going to check for a solution. I am now using the computer make this post.

I would like to know how to find out what caused the computer to shut down unexpectedly and how to prevent it from happening again. Thanks.

Thanks
    The first place I would look is in the event viewer logs. Rt. click "My Computer", choose Manage, Lft. click on Event Viewer to expand. Then check windows logs and application and services logs. It may show up there.
    HTH

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The usual suspect is a power outage or brownout. Did you notice any power fluctuations at the time?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did look in the Event Viewer as lumpy95 suggested. During the time period before the shutdown and during the reboot there were several errors and warnings. However, I'm not sure how to interpret these and none seemed to clearly state what happened.

I don't recall there being any power fluctuations, but I can't rule it out.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What are the error messages?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Attached is a screenshot of recent events. I'm guessing the shutdown occurred around the 01/30/2015 6:37:57 PM point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you click on SideBySide Event ID 80 - click on Copy/Copy details as text in the lower right pane then paste into the reply box and do the same for BugCheck Event ID 1001

I think those two will be the relevant ones for the BSOD guys, but if any more are relevant - that is how to copy & paste the details.

This article may help with the exception code https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-01-31 at 11:34.

Thanks
    Usually, when the Troubleshooting runs more than 3-5 minutes, I simply cancel it. There are a few updates that "demand" a restart. And, if the computer was running something else too, that could have led to a shutdown. I think overall, things will return to normal soon.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The event info is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's probably the SideBySide error that caused the shutdown so uninstall ESET Scanner and can you check to see which update it was that was installed and post that.

WhoCrashed may give more/confim info after reading the Dump file http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Thanks
    The bugcheck was a 0x9F, a device driver problem, specifically "A device object has been blocking an IRP for too long a time".

If you zip the C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP and upload it somewhere publicly accessible (Skydrive or similar) and post the link back here, I'll try to analyse it.

At a guess, most likely power-saving settings on something USB-connected, maybe wireless adapter. Try tracking down a later driver - but the issue may need something more specific to fix it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I cannot locate the MEMORY.DMP file. I searched for it. I also checked the Minidump Folder in Windows which was empty.

I am wondering how ESET.exe was involved. That is a file that I execute manually to run the ESET online scanner. I did not start the program and it cannot be configured to run on a schedule.

Thank you for the responses and the offer to analyze the file, but things seem to be running OK, so I think I will take the approach that RolandJS suggested. If it happens again I will repost. Thanks again.

Thanks
    You may need to unhide the hidden files and folders to be able to see the dump file: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...iles=windows-7

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried that too. No file.

Thanks
    Ah, so the crash happened too fast, or maybe a needed driver was implicated (unless you have a disk cleaner active at boot?)

Can you run the collection app. method from Sysnative, please? Follow it carefully and attach the requested zipped folder back here, I'll work through whatever details I can find: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod...8-7-vista.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast