New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 end of life and why I am mad

Even though I know that Microsoft has been ending versions of Windows since its beginning. The first version I had was 3.1 (?) and I recall when 95 was introduced and how much I loved it. Then came 98 and 98 second edition, the latter one I used for years. I did not want to upgrade to XP but did so only because a friend bought it for my birthday. I did like it but still preferred 98 SE. Honestly, I still do.

On my desktop PC I still run XP Pro and I have no plans to upgrade it for now. The reason; I use MS Outlook as my email program and from what I read Windows 7 only works with certain versions of Outlook.

On my Laptop I have Windows 7 and have somewhat gotten used to it. And of course looming large in the near future is Windows 7's demise. I don't like Windows 8 and haven't tried 8.1. I don't like change when change cost big bucks.

Its too bad that MS has to keep changing their versions but it comes down to money for them from people like me aka customer. I prefer them keeping popular versions and updating only security concerns but that's a dream.

Last but not least, which versions of Outlook actually work with Windows 7? I heard 2003, 2007, and 2010.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 1776blues View Post
    Last but not least, which versions of Outlook actually work with Windows 7? I heard 2003, 2007, and 2010.
    All of the above, plus Outlook 2013. Earlier Outlook versions can also be installed on Win 7, but there are some issues you'd need to deal with - see: http://www.msoutlook.info/question/303

Do bear in mind that Win 7 will continue to be supported till 2020. By that time, Windows will probably be up to version 12 or more.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You've kind of answered your own point in a way. You still (like me) use XP, and everything's fine, so why worry? Malware? Use anti-malware software.

I too had Windows 95 and I too loved it. I never got Windows 98, and went straight to XP. And even then only because I wanted true USB support.

Bottom line: only upgrade if there's something in the new version that you can't live without.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    macropod, thanks for the information and the link.

tonyl, yeah I know I did, but I had to vent somewhere and chose windows secrets plus I received some helpful information. Your point is well taken. Of course if my current slow issues with my XP pc is not hardware related and I need to perform a repair installation of XP I'm afraid from what I've read: all the updates will be gone with no option to re-install them. I've thrown many malware programs at the issue and two virus programs as well with one of the virus program done from a USB drive at boot up. I suspect my memory or video card may be the problem. My hard drive has passed many tests. What makes this problem strange is it didn't start until after support for XP ended.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    <snip>
    I'm afraid from what I've read: all the updates will be gone with no option to re-install them.
    Yes, I wouldn't leave it too long to download the post-SP3 updates; there's no telling how long they're available. Use the links I gave (the better option), or alternatively, use WUD.

Thanks
    Microsoft is a business! They are there to make money!

If you disagree, go the opensource route.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    Yes, I wouldn't leave it too long to download the post-SP3 updates; there's no telling how long they're available. Use the links I gave (the better option), or alternatively, use WUD.

tonyl, I only see the windows update link you posted. I will now be looking to get a new PC since my money has come in. I actually found one on ebay several months ago and it was perfect, but when I asked the seller if the actual windows 7 disc came with the pc he replied;

Dear kcdogg;
    "the disks i have copies from the original ones. i lost the original but i can give you the copies with the product keys.
    the motherboard is an Intel DP35DP with a custom heat-sink for better overclocking the cpu."

A giant red flag shot up and my first thought was; I went through this before when I bought my current PC and had to wait months until I could use it due to the copy of the windows disc that it came with, which would not install. So he sent me a new one or so I thought. After close inspection and some research on how to spot a fake windows disc it too turned out to be a problem. This went on through the claim process with paypal, and finally I suggested he refund 100 in cash and I would purchase my own. I found a seller selling Window XP Pro for 110.00. No one gave his listing the time of day due to his low feedback score. It was as he listed a brand new unopened product. I scored with that one. My first version of XP on another pc was Home.

@Browni, yes I know its a business, but I always say if you like something and it ain't broke, then leave it be. Kind of like a classic car

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    tonyl, I only see the windows update link you posted.
    <snip>
    Oops. Sorry, I'd posted those links in another thread, not this one. It's my age, you know. Here is the link. You'll find that much easier.

Incidentally, if any Win7 users are interested, there's now a Win7 version of nlite on the same page, called ntlite.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just successfully installed Microsoft Office 2003 Professional on a new Windows 7 (64 bit) laptop.
    • Word required no tweaking at all.
    • Excel required me to change the Macro security level - easy
    • There's a trivial issue with Access - the syntax of the SendKeys statement needs adjusting
    • Outlook required no tweaking at all

Hope this helps

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    Oops. Sorry, I'd posted those links in another thread, not this one. It's my age, you know. Here is the link. You'll find that much easier.

Incidentally, if any Win7 users are interested, there's now a Win7 version of nlite on the same page, called ntlite.

Thanks for the link and I know all about the age thing, seems to be happening a couple times a week.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    I have just successfully installed Microsoft Office 2003 Professional on a new Windows 7 (64 bit) laptop.
    • Word required no tweaking at all.
    • Excel required me to change the Macro security level - easy
    • There's a trivial issue with Access - the syntax of the SendKeys statement needs adjusting
    • Outlook required no tweaking at all

Hope this helps
    Thanks for the info, this is most certainly helpful when the time comes for me to change.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Take comfort that you are defeating Wirth's Law (that as hardware gets faster, software gets more bloated - and you end up where you started). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wirth%27s_law

By running Office 2003 on an up-to-date PC (with W7 in this case) you get a tangible performance hike instead of standing still.

Now that's worth something !