New Lounger
    Thanks

Best All-in-One configurations - where are they?

With Win10 around the corner, its time to upgrade my PC. Given limited floor space for a conventional all customizable tower, I wanted to go with an All-in-One. I was thinking of a 128 - 256GB primary drive for the OS and a second 1 - 2 TB data drive. Problem is I cannot find any with this configuration. Is there a fundamental problem with using SSD for the OS (non that I can find in forums or reviews)?

For 30 years I have upgrade my PC's with the best/latest technology and usually get 5 good years, so I was planning on the I7 cpu, mid level graphics with 2nd hdmi monitor output, 12 - 16GB memory (can never have enough), optical drive,

There are the new hybrid HD's but I prefer technology designed for specific uses, not blending and losing the best features of each - seems the hybrids are nothing more than glorified SSD cache.

Am I missing something or is dual HD's asking too much for an all-in-one??? there is more than enough real-estate in the back of the larger screen pc's.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Dual SSD/HDD machines are currently "top of the line" boxes and therefore tend to come in large boxes.
    I built my latest box from components and opted for a mid tower, but could easily have put it in a small case, although the 3 hard disks makes it a little harder. You could use something like this cube case as a starting point.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    An All in One is nothing more than a permanently mounted laptop to me with all the issues of a laptop and none of the mobility advantages. Like laptops, dual disks are difficult if not impossible to find in an All in one. You also have the problem losing use of the monitor when the processor portion dies or becomes outmoded as well as loss of the processor if the monitor dies.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good points Jerry, over the years I have had issues with CPU's (have 3 laptops, one with bad screen, two with cpu's that need re-soldering to the motherboards that family has given to me to try and fix some day). Its a trade off between no wires with the all-in-one vs flexibility with the tower.

May be time for a trip to Frys and find a case to fit my needs and buy all the components (I always prefer the manufacturer full features vs the crippled software from pre-built machines).

Thanks
    With Win10 around the corner, its time to upgrade my PC. Given limited floor space for a conventional all customizable tower, I wanted to go with an All-in-One. I was thinking of a 128 - 256GB primary drive for the OS and a second 1 - 2 TB data drive. Problem is I cannot find any with this configuration. Is there a fundamental problem with using SSD for the OS (non that I can find in forums or reviews)?
    If you want it, you're going to have to pay for it, and that's all there is to it:
    $2,497.99
    MSI Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz) 16GB DDR3 2TB HDD 128GB SSD 27" Touchscreen All-in-One PC Windows 8.1 64-Bit AG270 2QE-044US
    If I was wanting/looking for an "all in one", this is exactly what I'd be looking at.
    MSI.jpg
    Hard Drives:
    SSD128GB
    HDD 2TBHDD RPM7200rpm
    For the sake of NOT sounding like an ad, it looks like MSI has you covered.
    But like I said, your going to have to fork over for it because it isn't cheap.

Remember, it's a gaming type setup, which shouldn't make any difference to your usage
    because gaming usually equates to better performance. Better overall performance regardless of usage.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-02-01 at 16:09.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint, never looked at an MSI system - pricey is RIGHT. Are they any good? High quality components? May still opt to custom build another tower for less $$$$

Thanks
    Yes, if you can build your own, that's the way to go.
    Tower?
    You don't need a tower. SFF (small form factor) will do nicely.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-02-01 at 16:33.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.